JK 2dr + Auto Home OR JK unlimited + J30 Ursa ??

Which one's better!

• JK 2dr + Autohome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pilosopo

Adventurer
I have a JK Unlimited with a traditional roof tent and an external rack. If I had to do it again I'd do the same thing.

Though there's something to be said for the convenience of the integrated tent solution ( I also have an 81 westfalia) I actually like the separate tent.

I can remove it when on a day trip with no chance of it getting wrecked.

I can transfer to my next vehicle if I move on to something else.

If it gets damaged, I can remove it without affecting the availability if my Jeep.

I basically have no MPG hit with it on, though my Rubicon's gearing likely has something to do with that.

There's only one downside IMO, and it's that when it's on I have no chance of entering any structure or trail with clearance limitations.

retroP59

Pop Top
Nice to hear it from someone with a westie and a jeep set up! The external rack looks a bit bulky and seems like it might be noisy? do you recommend a model of rack/tent? How often is your tent on the truck vs in the garage? Can you get it off and on the rack solo? I might have posted this in the wrong place but it's not seeming to matter?

pilosopo

Adventurer
The jeep was definitely quieter without the rack, but it wasn't quiet, you know?

Honestly, this Gobi (which I recommend) is significantly quieter than the Congo Cage I had. Though it may have added some wind noise, it's far from what actually makes the Jeep noisy.

My tent, a featherlite, is light enough that I can move it around on my own, but it's too bulky to actually get on my roof by myself. It'll stay on most of the summer really, otherwise it's in my parents garage.

Like I said, I really don't have a mpg hit with it on. I get between 15.5 and 16.5 mpg all day, everyday in my Jeep. Tent or no tent, so it's not a big deal for me to leave it on

And really, I'll take the Jeep over the Westy any day, and I love VWs.

Last edited:

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Unlimited w/J30

I grew up with the VW's - first one was a '68 with a center pop top which we used in Alaska, the Alcan, and all along the west coast. I've had three of them since that time, and I purchased a Sportsmobile which I would say is a VW Westy on steroids. Eventually, I've acquired a Jeep JK unlimited Sport (I also have a A-Liner a frame style pop up trailer), and I decided on the J30 top because, like you, I like to be able to "just go", or decide to "just stay" if I end up somewhere I'd like to stay a little longer while on a long drive.

There are a few downsides to the J30. One is it's not as easy to take the top off as it is for a rooftop tent, or just the stock top. It's not quite like having a Westy - as far as the interior goes - and you have to realize you will be cooking outside (not really a downside per se, but you have to be ready to cook in the rain/snow, or open the wallet for a restaurant in bad weather) - and you don't have the "couch" to sit at for meals, or relaxing at night. I have a 3" lift on mine, and a Yakima rack on top, and this limits the garages, or other low hanging places, I can go.

All that said above, I would not trade my J30 for anything...I keep a pair of down sleeping bags up in the top so I'm always ready to pull over for a nights sleep. I have slept in some low and high temps and have had no issues with either. The interior height, lighting setup, and the size of the window openings, all have made a great place to sit and read, stargaze, or watch a movie on the laptop/iPad at night. I usually get 16 - 19 mpg, and I would expect that is greater than a similar vehicle with a rooftop tent.

Here are some pics

1143f32946011facec9e8fb22f59b30c.jpg

df20da85473d67837628b1e13c895764.jpg

e8561e8007202a0b622963af25b063b1.jpg

Wiley

Adventurer
Welcome to the site, you will find better answers to your question in the jeep section which is a sub forum of the vehicle section here on expedition portal. This is for in progress adventures, so once you get your rig setup comeback here and show us the cool places you go to. Good luck

pilosopo

Adventurer
I grew up with the VW's - first one was a '68 with a center pop top which we used in Alaska, the Alcan, and all along the west coast. I've had three of them since that time, and I purchased a Sportsmobile which I would say is a VW Westy on steroids. Eventually, I've acquired a Jeep JK unlimited Sport (I also have a A-Liner a frame style pop up trailer), and I decided on the J30 top because, like you, I like to be able to "just go", or decide to "just stay" if I end up somewhere I'd like to stay a little longer while on a long drive.

Awesome setup!

May I ask how often you get to use it, and the typical duration of your travels?

Work has made it so my trips are rarely more than a weekend, so I really don't get to camp that much. Lots of day trips though.

Perhaps that's why I'm still satisfied with my setup?

Is your JK a 2012? Gearing? I feel my MPG is more affected by the Rubicon low gearing, including the OD in sixth (I have a manual), more than anything else.

I think though, if the was a top like yours that would allow me to open it from the inside, like a Westy, it would be the perfect solution. That to me is the biggest advantage of my van. Park, pop the top, sleep, never even have to step out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles