Jevy's '19 Subaru Crosstrek Overland Build

Jevy

Adventurer
Alright well I guess it's time to start putting into motion everything I've had going on recently. I've had my '19 Crosstrek for about a year and have really enjoyed it. Recently I decided that I wanted to start on building it out a little to do some overlanding/camping etc in mind. This build is probably going to be slow and long so there's not going to be a lot to see for a little while. I started with a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Premium. It has most of the options available and so far has been a good vehicle for us.

Just recently I added the Yakima bars/towers so that I can attach a roof top tent to it. Today I had a 2" Daystar Puck Lift installed by our local 4wd shop and an alignment as well. The wheels/tires have been ordered. I went with Method 502 wheels and BFG KM3 235/75/15 tires. The wheels are in transit and I hope to have some pics of the wheels/tires installed by the end of the week.

So below is a pic of the lift/rails installed on the Crosstrek. Honestly I know it's only a 2" lift but I couldn't hardly see the difference in ride height.

Also today I received my tent. This time around I wanted a hardshell tent. For me messing with the zippers on most RTT's has proven to be a pain in the neck so I wanted to try out a hardshell tent. I ordered an Autohome Columbus Medium XL RTT. I can't use the supplied mounting hardware to mount the tent due to the width/depth of the Yakima aerobars. So I plan on going tomorrow to a hardware store to get some different hardware to mount it. I have not ordered an awning yet but I did order the mounting hardware so I can put it on at the same time that I mount the RTT. I will provide pictures of what I come up with on that in the next couple of days.

Other items that will be in progress will be:

ARB Awning
12v. Fridge
slide for the fridge
Auxillary battery with solar and a dual battery setup to power things while camping
some sort of a rear tire carrier(may be fabricated by me or I may opt for something available aftermarket wise)
inverter
Warn 5500 Axiom Winch
Warn Winch Bumper (yes they actually make one for the Crosstrek lol )

boxtoutside

I almost purchased the Crosstrek but ended up in an Outback. Looking forward to watching your build.

*I was excited to see the Warn Winch Bumpers as well. High on my list of mods.

Jevy

Adventurer
So I got off of work a little early and put the tent on the Crosstrek by myself. It about killed me but I got it up there. I had to buy different mounting hardware and make some brackets due to the wide yakima bars that I am using. Once I got it up there the actual mounting took about 30 minutes or so. After seeing how big the tents enclosure is I'm going to have to rethink if doing an awning is even possible. I got the ARB mounting hardware kit but I just don't see how I could make it work without having the tent offset about 6" or so to one side and the RTT instructions said not to do that.

Jevy

Adventurer
I almost purchased the Crosstrek but ended up in an Outback. Looking forward to watching your build.

*I was excited to see the Warn Winch Bumpers as well. High on my list of mods.

yeah in retrospect an Outback probably made better sense for me too but I do like the Crosstrek.

Jevy

Adventurer
So after some feedback from some experienced people with RTT's I was advised to move the tent rearward to negate any lift from wind on the front end of the RTT. So I slid it back 12" and bolted it back down. Still no word on wheels/tires. ugh

jeepers29

I thought those fiberglas tents needed more support under them than just 2 bars. I very well could be wrong, but may want to look into it.

Jevy

Adventurer
so after moving the tent back it very much limits how much the rear cargo door can/will open. As much as I hate to do it.....it looks like I'm going to be putting a trailer together. I'm going to keep the Crosstrek for at least two more years and this is not going to work out the way it is.

Autohome recommends a third bar when doing offroading with it. Since I am not going to be doing anything hardcore I would probably be fine but it's just too limiting the vehicle the way it sits. I'm gong to start looking for a trailer.

Jevy

Adventurer
so today I worked on a tent a little and got my wheels and tires! I had to trim a little bit of the inner front fenderwells and they still slightly rub on the front of the front wheel wells. I'll do some more work on them tomorrow.

Battle

Aggressive tire pick for that car - I'd be curious how your drive-ability and mileage are impacted. Is this a CVT or a stick?

Jevy

Adventurer
Aggressive tire pick for that car - I'd be curious how your drive-ability and mileage are impacted. Is this a CVT or a stick?

so far it drives just like it did stock. I'm getting 24mpg in the city. I haven't had it on the highway yet. It's a CVT

Battle

I'd kill for 24 mpg in the city with 29" mud terrains. My 05 H6 Outback get 15-17 mpgs in the city with 27s. Good on the FB engine I reckon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles