Jevy's '19 Subaru Crosstrek Overland Build

Jevy

Adventurer
Things have slowed down a bit. Rain has kept me from trying out the new RTT but I'm hoping to go this weekend to try it out. Still have a little bit of rubbing and am considering just removing the inner fender liners.

Jevy

Adventurer
Ok so no pics today but I have made some progress on trimming the fender liners. I also have found the rear tire carrier I am going to go with. It is a Wilco spare tire carrier that mounts in a 2" trailer hitch and provides another 2" receiver in case I wanted to carry bikes on a bike rack or something like that. So right now I'm trying to decide whether to do the tire carrier or winch first.....

Jevy

Adventurer
So a little update. After driving around without having a full size spare my OCD kicked in and I decided to go ahead and order a matching wheel/tire for use as a spare. I also ordered a Wilco Rear Spare tire carrier for it. I liked the idea of it being able to used on different platforms should I decide to go with a different vehicle in the future. Who knows when in the world it will show up. It is shipping from Cali and they're currently on shutdown.

I also ordered a molle panel set up that will go on the backside of the front seats and provide storage for small stuff. Hopefully I'll have them this week. I can't wait until they show up. I really like the idea of having some places to store stuff. I also have a dog/pet barrier coming that I can use as a divider between the cargo area and the rear seats. I'm going to use it to haul a small shovel and other items I plan to carry.

The epidemic has made me stay in so I still have yet to use the tent. I do have plenty of time on my hands due to the work slow down. I may go ahead and order the materials for the dual battery set up. I was planning on waiting a bit to do so but boredom is starting to get the better of me. :)

Next steps are as follows:

Sliders
Aux Battery w/charger
fridge on slider

Jevy

Adventurer
Quick update:

Due to Corona Virus my kids had to move out of their dorm room so I acquired one of their mattress toppers for the RTT. I cut a queen sized topper off 6" from the side and the fit was great! I think it's definitely going to add to the level of comfort inside. Most campgrounds are still closed so I have yet to sleep in it. I also bought a telescoping ladder to use with it. The factory ladder was too bulky for me so I opted to get an inexpensive telescoping ladder off of amazon.

Also found out my job is in question due to the virus as well so I cancelled the tire carrier until we get back to normal. For now that's all of the mods I'm willing to do on the build until things stabilize.

billiebob

So after some feedback from some experienced people with RTT's I was advised to move the tent rearward to negate any lift from wind on the front end of the RTT. So I slid it back 12" and bolted it back down. Still no word on wheels/tires. ugh

Now I think you are creating a cantilever over the rear cross bar. And the back portion of the tent is where you sit. I'd slide it back to the original position.

But this ia all hypothetical, check the topper instructions to see what they advise.

screwball48

Explorer
Nice ride. Interested in your longer term thoughts on the new tires and wheels. I have a 2018 that has seen a lot of highway use. On occasion a little more clearance and traction would have been nice. The 35+mpg on the interstates would be hard to give up though.

jpat30

Adventurer
Can anyone see the pics in this thread or are they dead? I have tried three different devices with no luck. I just see a small icon where the image would be. Thanks.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Quick update:

Due to Corona Virus my kids had to move out of their dorm room so I acquired one of their mattress toppers for the RTT. I cut a queen sized topper off 6" from the side and the fit was great! I think it's definitely going to add to the level of comfort inside. Most campgrounds are still closed so I have yet to sleep in it. I also bought a telescoping ladder to use with it. The factory ladder was too bulky for me so I opted to get an inexpensive telescoping ladder off of amazon.

Also found out my job is in question due to the virus as well so I cancelled the tire carrier until we get back to normal. For now that's all of the mods I'm willing to do on the build until things stabilize.

I have that tire carrier used it on my Land Cruiser and owned a Outback for 10yrs. I tried it on the Outback for kicks. Too heavy lost too much rear suspension height.

The Impreza /XV is a cool car but weight is your enemy!!! Talking like you need to be thinking backpacking gear with the XV or its ability gets killed by weight. The OB was a little better on load capability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles