Jerry cans

dclee

Observer
I have the NATO cans from Deutsche Optik. They are really nice and my new fuel can standard and they never leak, unlike Blitz cans that leak if they are stored sideways.

NATO cans are the only way to go. I remember when you could get them from the military surplus guys for around $10 a can (sigh).

You also need a NATO or Swiss fill nozzle, NOT the cheap Chinese knock-offs!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah, sorry to say it but the blitz cans are crap. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt which soaked up the fuel fumes.:)

As for the deutsche Optik deal, unfortunately, I'm in California so even they won't sell those to me here!:( It's illegal to sell them here.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Well I ended up buying a Wedco can and an Adventure Trailers can holder. very nice set up. http://www.adventuretrailers.com/fuel.html
thanks for all the suggestions.

For a second I thought you meant an older style Wedco can and not the CARB compliant ones but I'm sure you mean the CARB ones. If you don't mind, I'm wondering if they're leak free enough to store in a vehicle when traveling off road like the Nato design cans are?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
One more very satisfied Deutsch Optik customer, brand new, very nice. I only wish I'd waited as I think I was closer to $180 shipped (but with the swiss nozzle). I'm considering getting 4 more, I suppose, really for no reason at all..

saburai

Explorer
One more very satisfied Deutsch Optik customer, brand new, very nice. I only wish I'd waited as I think I was closer to $180 shipped (but with the swiss nozzle). I'm considering getting 4 more, I suppose, really for no reason at all..

Me too! To all of the above!

The Saints

Off-roader,
I havent recieved them yet, when I do it still might be a while before I use them. I mounting them on the outside back of my camper and will only use them when I do a major off road treck.
I hope I did not make a mistake. They are not the NATO type lids, but a plastic screw top.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Off-roader,
I havent recieved them yet, when I do it still might be a while before I use them. I mounting them on the outside back of my camper and will only use them when I do a major off road treck.
I hope I did not make a mistake. They are not the NATO type lids, but a plastic screw top.

Well, you're not unless you have a line on some of the Nato type units which technically are no longer supposed to be sold within CA. Even companies like Deustch Optik will no longer sell them to someone from CA.:(

Really chaffs my hide when I think about it. The only reason wedco's are not sold here is because supposedly they're neither child proof nor is their spout spill proof.

Stupid parent's who can't accept responsibility for their own lack of parenting skills and instead rely on the manufacturers and government to step in with dumb laws.

OTOH, I'm sure Wedco could have redesigned the can to be leak proof but there is probably a very small niche of users who require it to be fume/leak proof.

The Saints

Off roader, I didn't purchase the NATO type. I went with the carb compliant ones that can get sold in USA even California.

DueNrth

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a question... Just received my 4 cans from DeutschOptik, along side my Wedco, they are easily as nice, new, just not as "pretty". My intent is to powder coat two yellow for diesel, and keep two green for misc (already have four red Wedco gas/2 water). I am concerned however that the D.O. cans seem to have to same lining and gasket as the Wedco water cans, and what is the compatibility with gasoline/diesel? Anyone else compare the D.O. cans with their Wedco's? Was I sent water cans by accident?

Cans are nice, but I don't need them for water :confused:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I think I noticed mine had a small sprayed in liner as well. If they are the green ones with the yellow tops that are brand new then they are fuel cans. I've had both gas and diesel only in mine (no water) and some for even months and they have been fine. Again I am considering getting 4 more for no reason at all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles