Jerry cans

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Well, you're not unless you have a line on some of the Nato type units which technically are no longer supposed to be sold within CA. Even companies like Deustch Optik will no longer sell them to someone from CA.:(

Except for all of us who just got units delivered in CA.

It seems like this is one of those cases where its better to just charge ahead without asking for permission. As far as I know, everyone who recently ordered NATO (Bundeswehr) cans from Deutsche Optik got them delivered (in CA), including myself.

If you call and ask, and give them a chance to think about it, then maybe they'll realize they shouldn't ship to you, but if you just place the order, I'm pretty sure the folks in the shipping department just package the cans, take the shipping label off the printer and slap it on the box without cross checking whether certain items should go to certain destinations.

DueNrth

Thanks,

I wondered if the lining was ok for Gas/Diesel. Good to hear I'll have no worries then. Didn't want to try them with fuel before baking for powdercoat (fumes and all :) I'll get them to the shop then.

Walt

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Will miracles never cease...

200% satisfied customer of Deutsche Optik. Placed an order the other week.

Got a call right after I placed my order to confirm my shipping address in San Jose. :smiley_drive:

Received the 4 new Bundeswehr cans along with the pouring spout the other day.

The deutsche optik spout is as large bore or bigger than the Wedco with the plastic tip removed and looks very sturdy. The cans looked very nice, but they may be slightly thinner steel than Wedco since the shipping weight is about 1 lb or 10% less. I have them all (8 Wedco on one side and 4 d.o. on the other) strapped to my camper roof laying on their long side. To be used on ultra rare occaisons like long stages in Australia (Canning Stock Route, except there is now a gas station in a village in the ~middle) or Outer Mongolia. To be emptied by Super Siphon. I figure the cans when full will raise my CG 1.8".
I really don't need 840L capacity but I figured I'd better get NATO cans when I could considering the idiotic laws.

Charlie

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
The stainless spouts are sort of the crap chinese spouts unfortunately. Briefly they came with Swiss nozzles that are awesome but big and long which are hard to store IMO but pour awesome (but need a wide diameter opening in the truck). When I paid $180 shipped or something like that I suppose I paid about $50 for that spout :) Still tempted to get some more I guess... :)

surfponto

Observer
Yeah, sorry to say it but the blitz cans are crap. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt which soaked up the fuel fumes.:)

As for the deutsche Optik deal, unfortunately, I'm in California so even they won't sell those to me here!:( It's illegal to sell them here.

Unfortunately the NATO cans from Deutsche Optik are no longer available. :(
Guess they were too good a deal.

luk4mud

Explorer
I didn't think the blitz cans were so bad. I used 2 of them on the back of my Jeep for several years. The included funnel is crap, got a nice vented metal screw on one from the military surplus store and that system worked well (albeit slow) for me for several years.

That being said, the plastic Scepter cans with the big flow plastic spout I am using now are great. Any expo members in Canada want to make some extra beer $ this winter? You guys could do pretty well selling us California guys some slightly used Scepter stuff.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Just got to figure a way to get them across the border.

My inlaws live in London, ON...I'm thinking of asking FIL to order some that we'll pick up at Christmas...

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I wonder if Scepter would sell them....one dealer (National4WD) want a very, very high price (on the order of CDN$87 per):Wow1:
And with the exchange rate near par (.94 or so today) thats a LOT of money for a gas can.

DS Tactical, in BC (the other end of the country from my inlaws) is only CDN$35 or so....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles