Jerry cans for fuel

lcavalletti

Observer
Hello all. I need about 15 gallons or three 5 gal Jerry cans mounted on my Yakima rack. What's the best deal and direction to go for these. I don't have the expensive aluminess box on the back so they have to go on my roof rack. So I may need to buy a basket or mounts for them or some kind of tie down. Need these for an upcoming Baja trip where it would really be best to have at least 20 gallons. But 15 might be ok

REDONE

[s]hard[/s]MEDIUM Core!
I'd just strap them on with a ratchet strap, but I'd put a tile of rubber flooring under them so they don't wear against the metal bars of the basket.
I agree that rotopax is a little proud for what it is. I don't even like taking my metal cans anymore for fear of theft. I just use the plastic 5gals.
me37MYg.jpg

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Last edited:

lcavalletti

Observer
I added another cross bar underneath the basket making it three total I have the Yakima extended basket. I've actually stood on it without issue. According to Yakima Ist not approved but they said I could add a lot more weight than what's approved

. Now throw my inflatable kayak and my extra water cans with 160 lbs of fuel and I could be pushing it a bit. I would like to somehow fit the Jerry cans to the rear door if that's possible. Is there anything that mounts to my door or is it only bumper mount?

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Need these for an upcoming Baja trip where it would really be best to have at least 20 gallons. But 15 might be ok
Not a place u want to run out of gas. Might go 20 to be safe. As for mounting, ratchet strapped to the rack works or if you have access to a sheet metal shop, have them build you a basket to mount off the back door and store there. Someone (forget who) is doing simiar on a bus build. Good luck.

REDONE

[s]hard[/s]MEDIUM Core!
if you have access to a sheet metal shop, have them build you a basket to mount off the back door and store there. Someone (forget who) is doing simiar on a bus build. Good luck.
I completely agree with this. While I strap them to the roof, I have plans to build a hitch mount swing-away to put my spare and fuel on (the TH is also a DD, so I like it to look stock when not on an adventure). Mounting to a rear door sounds much more better!
Before becoming a mechanical engineer I was a fabricator, and if you draw it up, simple "dimensions and materials", most small fab shops would be happy to build it for you. Depending on how complex you make it, I'd imagine that $100 is right around the the target. The kind of small fab shop you're looking for will most likely be in the phone book as "welding/fabrication", but you might get a cheaper bid looking at "small engine repair", which tend to do light welding and fab, but without the overhead burden of carrying certifications like a true fab shop.

Actually the "best" place to put filled jerrycans is inside just behind the front seat (if rear seat removed) or behind the rear seat, for reasons of COG (center of gravity) and load distribution. Admittedly this is scary as far as having gasoline inside the car but new quality DeutscheOptik cans shouldn't leak. Put bulky low density items on the roofrack, like camping gear, folding chairs etc, lash them down well and cover with tarp for dust protection. Don't put cans inside car unless you have the metal ones that have positive sealing with a gasket and locking mechanism, don't risk leakage with plastic cans that seal only with plastic threads.
If you put 5 full cans on the roof you will absolutely feel the difference as far as handling.
If you do decide to put the cans on the roof, fill them at the last possible moment and empty as quickly as possible.
Reference: "Expedition Guide" by Tom Sheppard

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I picked up a basic hitch-mount cargo basket for this purpose on one trip. PITA getting into the back, but it kept the weight of the fuel low and the fumes outside. The basket cost about $50 at Harbor Freight and I just ratchet strapped them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derjack

Adventurer
^^^ Pretty good deal

These NATO cans (with spout) are ~$80 https://www.topspecus.com/products/wavian-20l-5-gallon-steel-nato-jerry-fuel-can

Used NATO cans from Sportsman's Guide: $35 https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ary-surplus-20-liter-jerry-can-used?a=2146143

Scepter Military cans are very tough ~$40-$60 (used) $90+ new on Ebay.

View attachment 434695

Titan makes a pretty cool 12gallon tank that fits on an external spare (made for Jeeps, but could be adapted to other lug patterns)

View attachment 434694

These so called NATO Cans are just gas cans in Germany. That is maybe the reason why these cost in a hardware Store. https://www.bauhaus.info/messgefaesse-kanister/unitec-benzinkanister/p/12601971?q=benzin%20kan

Maybe because we give a **** about military stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles