Jerry can solutions? 2015 Xterra

CO-Plateau-Guy

Hi All,

Ive searched this forum and found a lot of mentions of Jerry cans but not things that really nailed down what i was looking for. So, heres another thread for the sake of it.

I have a 2015 stock (except for rock rails) Xterra pro-4x and im trying to figure out whats the best way to carry some extra fuel. Is it a roof rack and strap them in, is it a swing out bumper w/a built in spot for the cans is it attaching directly to the tailgate a something that can hold cans, is it <insert something i havent thought of here>?

When i tow my small trailer ill be able to strap down some extra fuel on the small cargo deck of the trailer but i wont be taking that thing everywhere and the Xterra is basically a pig and at times i really could use some extra fuel.

Thanks in advance for any input.

alanymarce

As you can see from the photo we carry extra fuel on the roof rack. This is because we rarely need extra fuel (only on 4 occasions in the last decade have we actually had to carry extra fuel), and don't want to add weight and use up space with a larger/extra built-in fuel tank (which is still there when empty). Fuel cans are light when empty, and we fill them immediately before embarking on a route on which we'll need extra fuel. We transfer the fuel into the main tank as soon as we can to keep the CoG low, and once we no longer need the cans we give them away.

I had a look and see that your standard range is 337.6 (city) /422.0 (highway) miles, so if I assume you're doing most of your travel out of cities, with a proportion in sand/mud then I'm guessing a range of 375-400 miles. Our range on the 3 vehicles we've used in the last decade has been 300 miles, more or less). Had we a range of only 375 miles we would still have needed extra fuel on 3 of the 4 occasions mentioned, however would have needed to carry less on the roof.

So, my question is "Do you really need more fuel?".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior