Jerry-can rust and what to do

PH4

Observer
Did not see where else I could post so since I have a G500 posting here. I have 5 Weldco Jerry-cans that got water in them during the flood we had here from heavy rains. They now have rust on the inside. Are the salvageable/fixable/useable. Hate to toss them but don't want bigger issues down the road if it taints gas. Any experience or thoughts/solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cols110

Observer
If it was me I would bin them, cheaper to buy new ones than sufferer the consequence of blocked filters, damaged fuel pump etc, not to mention them letting you down at an inopportune time in the middle of know where.

If it is just sediment you could probably clean them but if it is actual rust it will only get worse.

pacer

Observer
How bad is the rust?
Gas or diesel?
I'd toss a length of chain in there with some wd-40 and clean 'em out.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

M35A2

Tinkerer
IMHO it is immoral to trash something because of some surface rust inside. We need to do better than remain a throwaway society.

OK, off my soap box. Depending on how bad it is, you can do nothing or fill with a white vinegar mixture or treat as already described all the way up to using the POR fuel tank kit for motorcycles. OR, take them to a radiator shop as they will clean the inside and apply one of their own proprietary sealers.

pacer

Observer
IMHO it is immoral to trash something because of some surface rust inside. We need to do better than remain a throwaway society.

OK, off my soap box. Depending on how bad it is, you can do nothing or fill with a white vinegar mixture or treat as already described all the way up to using the POR fuel tank kit for motorcycles. OR, take them to a radiator shop as they will clean the inside and apply one of their own proprietary sealers.
I'll add to this, just think of all the motorcycles out there running rusty tanks...
Get the particles out, if any and fill them.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

JCH4

Observer
Rust is light but pervasive through out. I do not wish to throw them away but owning boats, dirt bikes, etc I well know what bad/tainted gas can do to an engine. Especially on a boat 60 miles offshore. For me the best solution seems to be the radiator shop. I let them dry over the week and will re-check this weekend.

SheepnJeep

I had really good luck with putting a few cups of kerosene and some hardware into this gas can to clean it out. I used some really huge nuts and bolts as well as small stuff to get into the nooks and crannies. Then I shook it to get the sides clean and rinsed it out with more kerosene. The bottom had the worse rust, so I left my mix inside and strapped the can into its place for a few weeks of driving. Washboard roads and pot holes really slosh the hardware around! Finally I repaired the fine brass screen that had been ripped inside the filler nozzle. It does catch debris and I clean it out from time to time. If your cans don't have a screen in the filler nozzle you could braze a brass screen into a metal funnel instead. Good luck!

-Jesse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles