Jerry Can / MWC / MFC stowage box build

Great idea on emergency extra carry. Carrying enough fuel to fill up doubles your distance for looking for fuel. Water is a basic necessity. Figure one gallon per person per day. I have done the same as you. Have 8 Nato fuel cans and 8 MWC to split between two vehicles. I would recommend a Super Siphon. No need to lift or move heavy bulky containers to fill tank. You can use for water too but maker sure you mark them for fuel or water only.

Looks like shift to West is going to lessen the impact to us. Bringing anything lose outside indoors and riding it out. Supplies stay ready to go all the time.

That is a nice box and if you weren't hauling cans could be used for just about anything. Gotta love a multi-tasker. :sombrero:

Something I discovered the other day when brainstorming on container ideas and what fits what is that an MFC/MWC is a nice snug fit into a 20mm ammo can. There is a little bit of room in the front which I guess you could use for the cap wrench or a filler neck. I thought it would be nice to cut a can and lid down and add a fold over strap to make a solid latching canister for a can. You could cut along the diagonal ribs to keep the rigidity. Anyway, just throwing that out there.

attachment.php

Would this still fit if the can was full? They bulge quite a bit when filled

rayra

Expedition Leader
They only bulge a bunch when you DONT fill them all the way. Same as any other plastic jug. Less air space / less swelling, oddly enough. Lots of folks fill them less, thinking that will avoid swelling, only to have plastic containers swell like balloons. Which then convinces them there's a problem, when all along it's chiefly of their own making.

20mm can is 7-1/2" wide. An MFC is 7". You can see the gap in photo. Even full the MFC will socket right in there.

eta all the jugs in my photos are full

They only bulge a bunch when you DONT fill them all the way. Same as any other plastic jug. Less air space / less swelling, oddly enough. Lots of folks fill them less, thinking that will avoid swelling, only to have plastic containers swell like balloons. Which then convinces them there's a problem, when all along it's chiefly of their own making.

20mm can is 7-1/2" wide. An MFC is 7". You can see the gap in photo. Even full the MFC will socket right in there.

eta all the jugs in my photos are full

Im not referring to heat expansion, just the bulging that comes from the weight of the liquid. Seems like that ammo can will be too tight a fit.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Im not referring to heat expansion, just the bulging that comes from the weight of the liquid. Seems like that ammo can will be too tight a fit.

same answer. It's only an issue if you cram in every milliliter the design allows. Never had a fitment problem with MFCs in the Marines in the 80s/90s, or since.

But convenient timing, just snapped this pic today as I added another Scepter 'commercial' 20L to the cache. I've been replacing my 7gal aquatainers as they are both too heavy when full and their blow-molded plastic has got far too thin in recent years. I don't think one could stack them anymore without the bottom one splitting.
Likewise for my variety of Blitz and other plastic jugs, fading, getting brittle. So likewise replacing them with Scepter's 'commercial' 20Ls. At around $20ea they're a pretty good deal if you don't already have brackets or mounts that require the MFC/MWC dimensions. They're about 2/3 thick as MFCs/MWCs, by weight. Which makes them a lot thicker than just about any other plastic jug of a similar format that's out there

nicejugs.jpg

/But hey, WTH do I know about the subject?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior