Jerry can holder/ mount options

scrubber3

Not really here
I recently acquired an old 5L jerry can and need a mount and a place to mount it to the Montero. Preferably on the outside of course. Any ideas? If you can add a picture to the suggestion, it would help tremendously. I do have a roof rack, but I only have one jerry can and I don't really want to place it up there unless it is absolutely necessary.

Let's see what you guys can come up with. In the meantime, I will be on Google.

Thanks!

m3at333hp

Adventurer
I have this very same issue. I have seen GenI's have them mounted to the spare, but for the life of me, cannot find one to purchase. I think I have decided to finally use the MIG welder in the garage and try and fabricate a holder that will mount to my roof rack. I will be keeping an eye out for your solution.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I have two (2) Conferr spring-loaded Jerry can holders. They bolt to a flat surface and hold the cans by the handles and lip along the bottom. I've had them about 17 years, moved them around with us numerous times. PM me if they seem needed and we can make arrangements.

matt s

Explorer
The Conn Ferr racks are still available under a different name. I have a set of the old ones, but remember finding them available online.

This is what they look like. con_ferr_blitz_can_carrier.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I really like the Baja Rack dual Jerry can holders. They look nice and work very well. I have two of them so I can securely carry 4 jerry cans. I mounted 1 inside the rig and the 2nd one on my roof rack.

[Soapbox On]Also, I hope that old Jerry can is one of the original German designed style of can. If it's a newer Blitz style Jerry can then you definitely shouldn't store them in the vehicle.

Because of this limitation I use & recommend the German designed Jerry cans exclusively. They're far superior to the Blitz cans that the Confer holder is designed for.

The seal is so good you can store them inside your rig without any fear of fumes. Not so with Blitz style cans. You store those in your rig, you better have awesome ventilation or have torqued the lids down extra tight which I've found almost impossible to do by hand without something to give you greater leverage.[Soapbox Off] ;)

HTH.

matt s

Explorer
I found them, here is a link. http://www.amazon.com/BLITZ-GAS-CAN-CARRIER-LOCKABLE/dp/B004XCGFOQ

As to the post above regarding the blitz cans, yes they are not the end all, but they get a bad rap. If you simply go to your local rubber supply and have them cut new seals in slightly thicker (and better) material they seal up great. Blitz neutered a good can with a cheap gasket. I had 10 made for $10. I DO agree about having fuel in the cab, for me that just doesn't happen with any fuel container.

scrubber3

Not really here
I will probably use an equivalent to the blitz 11412. Just have to figure where on the outside to mount it....

off-roader

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I have one of those Confer holders and plan on mounting it with an empty Blitz can to my spare to ward off tailgaters.:Wow1::smiley_drive:

scrubber3

Not really here
It looks like it is telescoping. Seems like a good solution. I have my High Lift mounted up to the spare at the moment, so I will have to find a new place for that if I mount the gas can there. The lift is pretty heavy and I really don't want to mount that on top the way it is. SO..... Guess I will have to put my roof rack on gutter mounts to hold the lift.

Who makes a good inexpensive set of gutter mounts. Ray, I have the same roof rack that I've seen in some of your pictures.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
For the garvin wilderness trails rack they make a mount. For the cheaper BVG rack made from round tube, Grasscat clued me into just using Yakima round bar mounts to attache the hilift to the rack.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I too searched for a way to carry some extra fuel and ended up fabing a mount that secures between the spare tire
and its mount on the tailgate.

Two pieces of plate steel: 1/4'' for spare tire bracket
3/16'' for can mount bracket

four pieces of tubular steel (id large enough to drop weld 1/2'' grade 8 nuts flush into one end).

Blitz gas can mount

Four grade 8 nuts and bolts, and washers (split and flat).

The tire mount section has a hole for the 'hanger', three holes for the spare tire bolts, and one large hole I cut to line up with the center hole in the spare.

The gas can mount is cut down as much as possible on account of weight.
Corners were trimmed and behind the Blitz mount was 'honeycombed'.

The four pieces of tubular were welded to spare tire mount bracket and the four nuts were drop welded into place, resulting in a flush nut to receive the can mount.

Using the Blitz can mount as a template, the holes were marked and drilled in the bracket and attached with eight grade four bolts using stainless hardware and 'jam nuts'.

We've tested it on over a thousand miles of off-roading this summer and it's holding up great.
Attached Thumbnails

P1011225Copying[1].jpgP1011228Copying[1].jpgP1011226Copying[1].jpgP1011227Copying[1].jpgP1011224[1].jpg

Last edited:

m3at333hp

Adventurer
For the garvin wilderness trails rack they make a mount. For the cheaper BVG rack made from round tube, Grasscat clued me into just using Yakima round bar mounts to attache the hilift to the rack.
The garvin mounts are not that cheap. I bought them directly from them and they were $170 for 6 of them. I do not consider that cheap for mounts but am glad I bought them because they are very heavy duty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles