Jeff's 2010 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Build

Jeff H

Adventurer
I've been procrastinating starting a build thread for my Frontier that I purchased last fall. With the winter weather we had this year I hadn't been able to get much done with the truck. Now that the weather has been nicer things should move along a little quicker.

Current Setup:
20180407_132556.jpg

Truck: 2010 Frontier Crew Cab
Current Mileage: 92k
Color: Night Armor
Engine: 4.0 V6
Transmission: Automatic
Suspension: Stock
Tires: 265/75R16 BFG KO2 All Terrain
Bumpers: Stock
Armor: Stock/None
Shell: ARE CX Topper

Jeff H

Adventurer
The Backstory:

After selling my Tacoma last year to work on paying off some debt I knew I wanted to be back in a truck of some kind. My 2005 Outback was an alright car and was paid for in cash but it was smaller than we were used to. Then came the LX470 that I sort of rushed into because I was having a hard time finding clean examples of 100 series up north in my budget range. That turned into a larger project just to baseline it than I wanted. I knew I needed four doors and an automatic but wasnt sure which direction to go. I read a few awesome build threads on here and decided to search for a D40 Frontier.

Then randomly one day I passed a dealer that had a Frontier Crew Cab sitting at their lot and decided to give it a look over. The dealership was closed but the truck was left unlocked and my wife and I gave it a good once over. A week later I was the new owner of a 2010 Frontier.

IMG_9385.JPG

I drove it stock for a few months until the snow hit. After almost sliding into a telephone pole the stock tires had to go. I had debated between some General Grabber AT2 and BFG KO2 ATs and decided on the BFGs.

IMG_9723.JPG
IMG_9883.JPG

The tires arrived just in time for the largest lake effect snow we've ever seen.

IMG_9745.JPG
IMG_9750.JPG
Over 80" fell in a few day period.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Adventurer
The truck had done awesome in the snow and overall I had been happy with my purchase.

The drivers side front caliper had started making noise and I attempted to grease the slide pins which helped for a short while but a replacement caliper was needed. I ended up replacing the caliper, both rotors, and put in some new fresh pads.

IMG_9809.JPG

After the snow cleared some we got to get out and do a little exploring in the Allegheny National Forest.

20180325_185745.jpg
20180325_144042(1).jpg
20180325_185903.jpg
20180325_152415.jpg

So far I was very impressed with the truck.

Jeff H

Adventurer
With summer coming closer we decided that more dry storage was absolutely necessary. I began searching craigslist for a cap. After some waiting I found an ARE cap in Columbus, OH that I was able to score for $380. It was in great shape and just needed a paint match.

Of course my wife wouldnt let us pass an IKEA without bringing home a bunch of stuff.
20180407_132556.jpg
20180407_132616.jpg

Now that summer is finally here I plan on addressing my To-Do list for the truck. I plan on picking up paint for the shell this week and am going to start prepping it to be sprayed. I also need to source a harness to attach the third brake light, replace the third brake light with a new light, and find replacement keys for the Yakima racks.

I also plan on removing the side steps and the lower front valance to give some more room. I've hated the steps since I purchased the truck but didnt have a chance to really work on it during the winter. Eventually they will be replaced with sliders.

We have been debating what to purchase next for the truck and decided to address the suspension before adding anymore weight to the truck. We plan on getting an awning, a fridge, and bed drawer setup so it makes sense to have a solid foundation for the extra weight first. I'm currently on the fence with which direction to go but am leaning towards the OME HD setup.

llamalander

Congratulations on the truck, glad to hear you like it so much. The OME suspension is a great addition, much better than stock comfort or handling.
Even with a shell, drawers a fridge and food you may not need the HD springs. With all that on a long bed, mine only level out now that I have a plate-steel rear bumper with a tire and fuel cans hanging on it.
Without all that weight, I sit an inch or two higher in the back (I have small, 1/2" spacers on the front coils).
If/ when you need the leaf, it is no more expensive to get it than in the HD pack.
Have fun, you're driving a great truck-

Jeff H

Adventurer
Congratulations on the truck, glad to hear you like it so much. The OME suspension is a great addition, much better than stock comfort or handling.
Even with a shell, drawers a fridge and food you may not need the HD springs. With all that on a long bed, mine only level out now that I have a plate-steel rear bumper with a tire and fuel cans hanging on it.
Without all that weight, I sit an inch or two higher in the back (I have small, 1/2" spacers on the front coils).
If/ when you need the leaf, it is no more expensive to get it than in the HD pack.
Have fun, you're driving a great truck-

Thanks! I had been back and forth between the Medium and HD leafs. Since its straightforward enough to add the extra leafs in after it needed I will probably go with the Med packs.

Mo4130

Adventurer
I have a cap, dual awnings, fridge, dual battery, drawers with all my cooking supplies, tools and a rear tire carrier with dual jerry cans and my maxtacks. I’m glad I got the hd springs. The md held the weight but I was constantly riding on the overload leafs.

Attachments

• 5588E39B-EC64-448E-B9DA-4DBE754BF942.jpeg
    5588E39B-EC64-448E-B9DA-4DBE754BF942.jpeg
    739.2 KB · Views: 79

CurtisD

I have a cap, dual awnings, fridge, dual battery, drawers with all my cooking supplies, tools and a rear tire carrier with dual jerry cans and my maxtacks. I’m glad I got the hd springs. The md held the weight but I was constantly riding on the overload leafs.

Hey Mo, that’s an awesome setup. Could you post up a couple more pics from the back and with the tailgate up so it’s easier to see what u got going on? I just picked up a new pro4x, my ARE topper will be here in a couple more weeks and I’m still trying to decide what add ons after that I want to install. Thanks!

Mo4130

Adventurer

Hey Mo, that’s an awesome setup. Could you post up a couple more pics from the back and with the tailgate up so it’s easier to see what u got going on? I just picked up a new pro4x, my ARE topper will be here in a couple more weeks and I’m still trying to decide what add ons after that I want to install. Thanks!

Sure can. I’ll see if I can grab some pics today when I get back from Maine. I had a build thread here somewhere but I’m terrible about keeping it up. Now that I got more time I might try to get it all dialed again.
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff H

Adventurer

That's an awesome setup! I could see the need with all of that weight. What tire carrier are you running?

Mo4130

Adventurer
Looks great, thanks Mo!

Thanks Curtis!
Like I said earlier. Here are some pics of my set up.
df0e100d134797948ede234a3fccd538.jpg
b9179c2bee3805f37aaa620b965ebbf7.jpg
4d182006c8b6827d3789da7e4fca61ac.jpg
4d34ac11563b0a62c413bfbc5ba896f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff H

Adventurer
Managed to get a little done last night. Removed the half running boards and the front lower valance.

IMG_20180604_195930_505.jpg

I also picked up some goodies to refinish the cap.

20180531_200841.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles