jefe's hardside camper hauler

montypower

Adventure Time!
Quit messing with those crappy tie down systems. Weld up some legit rock sliders and attach your camper to them (needs skilled welder familiar with high tensile steel frames). Resolves all the problems (including the extended cab door opening fully - you do need to change the camper mount direction). Same with the rear. Get a legit steel bumper and attach the camper to it. Done. None of the products on the market are designed for off road use. They are for highway to campground.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Quit messing with those crappy tie down systems. Weld up some legit rock sliders and attach your camper to them (needs skilled welder familiar with high tensile steel frames). Resolves all the problems (including the extended cab door opening fully - you do need to change the camper mount direction). Same with the rear. Get a legit steel bumper and attach the camper to it. Done. None of the products on the market are designed for off road use. They are for highway to campground.
montypower
I checked out your video on the rock sliders and rear bumper. Very well done. I'm going to ponder this and see if it can work with our Hallmark Cuchara. I''ve been wanting to eliminate those shin-busters since I got them. Thanks for the info.

86scotty

Cynic
Beautiful truck! The 7.3 gas is growing on me. Currently driving a rather thirsty Tundra I'm wondering how much worse it could be. I recently got 12 on a trip hauling nothing (no truck camper or trailer, just a low profile roof top tent). Anyhoo, what are you seeing or expecting for fuel mileage?

Also, what size fuel tank for your configuration. *I have found it very difficult to find this out on many new vehicles manufacturer sites because of the wide variety of truck models.

1000arms

Beautiful truck! The 7.3 gas is growing on me. Currently driving a rather thirsty Tundra I'm wondering how much worse it could be. I recently got 12 on a trip hauling nothing (no truck camper or trailer, just a low profile roof top tent). Anyhoo, what are you seeing or expecting for fuel mileage?

Also, what size fuel tank for your configuration. *I have found it very difficult to find this out on many new vehicles manufacturer sites because of the wide variety of truck models.
Seating capacityRegular CabSuperCabCrew Cab
Fuel capacity6.2L Gas34 gallon34 gallon34 gallon (160" WB), 48 gallon (176" WB)
7.3L Gas34 gallon34 gallon34 gallon (160" WB), 48 gallon (176" WB)
6.7L Diesel29 gallon (142" WB)29 gallon (148" WB), 34 gallon (164" WB)34 gallon (160" WB), 48 gallon (176" WB)

From (Specifications):

montypower

Adventure Time!
Gas Super Duty trucks are 34 gallon. You only get the 48 gallon with the longest one... Crew Cab Long Bed.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Do you feel the assist lacking with the stock pump? That ram assist is pretty nice. My neighbor's 2000 Superduty has it with 39's. One finger steering he says.
I recently got 12 on a trip hauling nothing (no truck camper or trailer, just a low profile roof top tent). Anyhoo, what are you seeing or expecting for fuel mileage?

With the 6.2L and "old" 6 speed we have been getting 10-12mpg with the camper and towing our 14ft enclosed cargo trailer (2 axle). Without a load it is 14-15mpg. Keep in mind that is with 37s and lots of off road gear. Our best stock was just shy of 20mpg. We are still not fully broken in... so it might get another mpg. My 2016 Tundra with FWC, 3" lift and Ko2s in stock size averaged 15-16mpg.

The 7.3L is slightly more thirsty but the additional transmission gearing can help. I've seen reports of them either the same as the 6.2L or just under (maybe 1mpg). Really depends on how you drive as well. Speed kills mpg. We rarely exceed 70mph and typically cruise 60-65mph.

montypower

Adventure Time!
The 2nd pic shows the new dual antennas for the radio. This will make my foam riser under the camper need to be an inch or two taller. There is some stuff behind the air dam, which I would like to loose, so I'll figure that out.

You might not need to do much. We were running 1" clearance from the "dual antennas" and absolutely no issues. The frame has nearly no deflection even with the suspension twisted. It's not like your old Dodge. This is a massively different beefier frame.

We added another 1.5" in height to get the basement drawer clearance needed.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
So, Monty, what is your total riser lift from the bed to clear your dual antennas? I'm sure you mentioned this but i can't find it.
I found some 2 inch x 4 foot x 8 foot Foamlular 150 (yes they only had 150 not 250) They said they had 250 but the didn't.
Has anyone used foamular 150 as a base with a 2017- up, Ford F-series? If so, how many inches did you need in the foam riser?
jefe
Pass RR tire and upper secondary. After I get the camper on I'll see what anti sway bar to put on and if I need Stable Loads on that single upper spring.

thumb_DSCN2879_1024.jpg

montypower

Adventure Time!
We just had the factory Northstar "riser kit" and Ford bed mat. Camper cleared the cab and antennas (although close clearance). I'm not familiar with using foam for the base. We've used a 4x8 rubber stall mat (cut down) for the Tundra. Getting some isolation between the metal truck bed and camper is very helpful. I'd be concerned with the foam causing the camper to move around where rubber more or less sticks it in place. Why not just frame up a wood base? It would be easy to do... and that's all Northstar is doing.

Did you see how we welded in camper guides to the truck bed? That made loading easy. Got the idea from you... just took it a bit further.

Sway bar shouldn't be needed with good suspension and keeping the load height down. Currently we have no sway bar. Stable Loads are a rip off... Invest in some proper springs. You'll be mind blown on the ride improvement.

The factory springs ride really rough. The front coils have a high spring rate. It's crazy in comparison with the Carli Coils which use a much thinker wire, probably 30-50% more spring wraps with less gap. Gives ability to carry load with more compliance. I found the Carli Diesel springs work great with the camper loaded and off road gear (bumper, winch,etc). But even with no camper they ride massively better than the stock springs (more smooth - less harness). The lift gives more compression travel so you don't bottom out easily.

Hope that helps!

-Peter

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
We just had the factory Northstar "riser kit" and Ford bed mat. Camper cleared the cab and antennas (although close clearance). I'm not familiar with using foam for the base. We've used a 4x8 rubber stall mat (cut down) for the Tundra. Getting some isolation between the metal truck bed and camper is very helpful. I'd be concerned with the foam causing the camper to move around where rubber more or less sticks it in place. Why not just frame up a wood base? It would be easy to do... and that's all Northstar is doing.

Did you see how we welded in camper guides to the truck bed? That made loading easy. Got the idea from you... just took it a bit further.

Sway bar shouldn't be needed with good suspension and keeping the load height down. Currently we have no sway bar. Stable Loads are a rip off... Invest in some proper springs. You'll be mind blown on the ride improvement.

The factory springs ride really rough. The front coils have a high spring rate. It's crazy in comparison with the Carli Coils which use a much thinker wire, probably 30-50% more spring wraps with less gap. Gives ability to carry load with more compliance. I found the Carli Diesel springs work great with the camper loaded and off road gear (bumper, winch,etc). But even with no camper they ride massively better than the stock springs (more smooth - less harness). The lift gives more compression travel so you don't bottom out easily.

Hope that helps!

-Peter
Peter,
I'm hoping you know the actual height numbers of the wooden riser assy.
I know quite a few people who have used closed cell Foamular 250 with fine results. It provides a VERY stable and lightweight platform with a modest R-value insulation to the floor. This stuff is made to insulate concrete sidewalks from the ground and have a very high non-compressability. It comes in many thicknesses and in a 4 foot x 8 foot block. My new truck bed has a spray in liner with a rough pebbly finish.
jefe

montypower

Adventure Time!
Northstar "riser" option was 1.5" height. You could go 2" if you wanted a slight additional buffer. Ours cleared the roof antennas with the "riser" and rubber bed mat (maybe 1/8" thick). Hope that helps!

The camper has an open floor (exposed gray tank) framing. You might want to mount a piece of marine plywood on the bottom of the camper. This would help distribute the camper weight on the foam panels.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Update:
At 400+ miles we're now on our 2nd tank of gas. The mpg on the 1st tank was 12.6 mpg. That was MT driving up to 55 mph in some level and some mountainous terrain. Users tell me this should improve over time.

The 7.3 gasser with the 10R140 ten speed is definitely a game changer.

The difference with the 7.3 (445 cu. in) and smaller V-8's of any stripe is this:
It has enough power to make the mpg difference in an MT vs. Loaded truck less with the 7.3 gasser.
The smaller gas V-8's mpg drops like a rock when loaded up heavy, especially the Dodge RAM Hemi V-8.

This info was gleaned from a lot of new 7.3 gasser owners on Ford's enthusiast website.
Many have owned the Ford 6.2L gasser as well,
and Ford diesels in the past.

A mountain of people with Ford's newer 6.7 diesel offering are bailing as soon as the warranty period is up. Why is that?

The current diesel fuel emissions systems. And what are they having woes with, pray tell?

OCC
DPF
Limp Mode
HPFP
SCR
DEF pump and tank clearance under the truck
Bosch CP4.2
EGR
WIF
Extra water/fuel separator
Additives
Regen, active and passive

There was a guy on there that I recognized from my time on RV.net's truck camper section. He has exactly the same truck and camper and has done his due diligence with the amount of riser you need to clear the twin antennas on the cab roof. So on his recommendation I have the 4 inch blue foam block ready to go.
Because of the 6-3/4 foot bed of the Ford is longer than the 6-1/2 foot short bed, he cautioned to place a 3-4 inch block against the bulkhead lest you jam your camper's taillights during installation. He had a lot of little tips and myriad photos of his wooden brackets and keepers.
I've installed the rear tie downs already and can see some altering for a narrow camper on the horizon. The turnbuckles, both HappiJac and Torklift are on hand.
f350 after rain.jpg
Pass side view of the Super Cab profile with the now fixed approach angle. You can see the rear Torklift tie down receivers installed. So far it looks like they are not in the way of side or departure angle clearance. If i install 35's, I'll lose at least 1-2 mpg. We'll see.

UPDATE: The Torklift front tie downs (F2022) have arrived and will be installed next week.

I've removed entirely the front air dam and bed-liner-sprayed some of the exposed lower parts. Two square shovel looking metal brackets behind the air dam secured to the frame were a puzzle until the truck camper section of Ford's enthusiast website came up with the answer. They were to protect small and low slung autos from slinking under the front of the truck in case of a front end collision. In the vernacular: Prius Catchers. They are gone for the sake of our approach angle.
350 Prius catchers removed.jpgshovels.jpg
All in all the truck is a blast to drive, but you always know it's a heavy duty truck built to haul and pull.
And remember this is part-B of my 2-truck/1 camper setup. The Ford gasser lashup will be the civilized travel mode whereas the built Dodge Cummins HO will remain as the rock crawling ugly mud hen.
When I get the camper on the truck, I'll make a report.
jefe

Last edited:

yfarm

Observer
Have same truck except 250xl With camper package,came off the delivery truck, was prepped and I drove 1300 miles in a day and a half. Average speed 70 mph got 13.8 mpg. Last half was with a bak flip bed cover. Had stock 245 75 17 tires. Now has 315 70 17s will repeat trip in reverse in several weeks and see what tire change did.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
yfarm,
That's good news. We live in the mountains so rarely get up to speed. Our nearby Gold Rush town of Nevada City has only stop signs, no signals. It is a leisurely way to get around and you learn the tempo over time.
jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94