jefe's hardside camper hauler

montypower

Adventure Time!
Jefe -
It seems you are probably one of the most experienced off road camper guys on the interwebs. I'd love to get your feedback... I'm looking at a similar camper type setup. Would you give feedback on trucks?

I'd like to buy a 4yr old or newer (possibly brand new) truck. My top choices are the Ford F350 SRW or Ram 2500 (possibly in power wagon configuration - and swap heavier suspension over). Either choice would likely be gas for simplicity and ability to travel in Mexico. I found a low mileage clean 2016 F350 4x4 SRW. My concern is the frame strength... prior to 2017 (truck redesign) the frames were C-channel. While off road in twisted suspension situations I don't want the camper hitting the truck or other issues. Thoughts?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I have had a lot of hard core conversations with Peter, via PM. He knows what he wants, and knows how to get it. Visit his page for an interesting off-road history and viewpoint. www.gitout.com
We have not been out on the rough road since returning from our 8300 mile, 22 state purvey of fall color, so the NS is stored in its pole barn until next month. I did a winterization to the NS Laredo to put it to bed. I also wrote out the instructions for complete winterizing, FYI, which appear here: https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Wi...OsXXe83RlNk1Wmn2kIJuUeboim_c-43bEhbSVMVfJjaR0
We still love the NS and can hardly wait to get out to the desert this winter.
jefethumb_DSCN2268_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2280_1024.jpg

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Jefe -
It seems you are probably one of the most experienced off road camper guys on the interwebs. I'd love to get your feedback... I'm looking at a similar camper type setup. Would you give feedback on trucks?

I'd like to buy a 4yr old or newer (possibly brand new) truck. My top choices are the Ford F350 SRW or Ram 2500 (possibly in power wagon configuration - and swap heavier suspension over). Either choice would likely be gas for simplicity and ability to travel in Mexico. I found a low mileage clean 2016 F350 4x4 SRW. My concern is the frame strength... prior to 2017 (truck redesign) the frames were C-channel. While off road in twisted suspension situations I don't want the camper hitting the truck or other issues. Thoughts?

You can always space the camper back from the cab with a 2x board and do the same to lift it with a 2x frame. The new trucks don't have remotely the frame flex of the old ones. Also, with a light camper like Jefe is running, a current model 3500 SRW will need zero suspension work in the rear unless you just want to. Gas 3500 SRW trucks are coming with well over 4000# of payload these days.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Trackhead, i wondered where you got off to. The shape and color of your old camper is now an icon on here. We are very happy with our choice of the Northstar Camper, even with its overweightness compared to the spartan Lance 165-s. Living in it on the road for almost 5 weeks cemented its likability. With a track record of 18 years with the Lance, you just know what is of value and on the other hand, know what is worthless in an off road style truck camper. If everything about a TC is a tradeoff, then we traded well. Larger tanks are not a woe, weight-wise if you only take what you need for that specific trip plus a little extra. Once you have a camper that runs on solar (except the 2-burner and the heater) you want more, and there's no going back. We are a strange pair of septuagenarian love birds that like being out in the TC during Fall, Winter, and Spring. Summer is reserved for the huddled masses yearning to..... get out of town for their 2-week vacation at the same time everyone else is. I'm really liking the 12v DC compressor fridge. I'll be following your gut and rebuild thread on here to see what you come up with. A pic of the simplicity of the back end of the camper. The Little Giant hangs on the back ladder on the black fixture and tied off with a couple HD bungies. jefethumb_DSCN2278_1024.jpg

MrKen

Do you have skid plates? I didn't see a mention of them. I have a 94 CTD and I think something protecting the fuel tank is a good idea. I'm not sure how to fix this, so that is why I am asking.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Ken, yes, our '01.5 came with skidplates under the oil pan and one under the t.case bolted to the trans. crossmember. However, hard as i tried, no rocks have ever kissed the skid plates: Pigs and driveshafts, yes. The driveshaft was irredeemable after going over the rock pile in a previous pic. Sacramento Driveline built me a new driveshaft using better, stronger, and easily replaceable U-joints with U-bolts. I don't think it's worth adding skids. Just do a 3 inch lift. Nothing has gotten close to the fuel tank, but we have only a 34 gallon tank that does not hang down. What i would do first is upgrade to better ball joints and steering parts.

cewillis

HI Jefe,

Looking good. Glad to see you came around on the cassette toilet.

Now that I've sold my truck, Outfitter, and all equipment, I'm looking again ---

Cal

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
HI Jefe,

Looking good. Glad to see you came around on the cassette toilet.

Now that I've sold my truck, Outfitter, and all equipment, I'm looking again ---

Cal
Cal, somehow I knew you were still in the game. Do you still have a wife? Yes, we just got home from Truck Camper Adventure's first Rally starting in Quartzite AZ and the 14 hard cores moving over the Bradshaw Trail. 53 TC's showed up for a well run Rally. Go to instagram and follow Truck Camper Adventure to see all the pix and vids of the Rally. On the way home we camped on this lonely stretch of road and the temp got down to 15 degrees. thumb_DSCN2475_1024.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Just a note to report on traveling without jacks. After a 1200 mile round trip across the desert to the recent Truck Camper Adventure TC Rally in AZ and CA, I could tell a difference after the jacks were off. Much less wind resistance, it seems. I think the non-folding front jacks that stick out a way from the camper set up some kind of dual turbulence that can be felt in the handling at speed. It seems to slice through the air better. It doesn't hurt that we have nothing hanging on the sides. Below: a stop on the Bradshaw Trail. Some interesting rigs; and below, 4 Northstar campers on 2001, 2007, 2015 RAM CTD's; and Tim's 2007 GM/Duramax/Allison. jefe
thumb_DSCN2519_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2537_1024.jpg

greg.potter

Adventurer
Subscribed - some great information here! I love the minimalist approach to putting together a truck camper. I've owned insulated caps in the past and currently am using a RTT on a JK, but as I approach retirement am thinking of something hard sided that can offer a bit more comfort in inclement weather and for extended trips. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Jeanie and I are at the one year mark with our Northstar Laredo SC. I wrote a user review involving the good, the bad, and the marginal on the Fans of Northstar Truck Campers facebook page if you want to visit the site. We've had several trips to remote areas this year including a recent 15 day trip to Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons, the Black Hills, and environs. The snow shots were taken on September 7th on top of Shadow Mountain across from The Tetons. Some pix:

thumb_DSCN2747_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2807_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2811_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2822_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2823_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2824_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2827_1024.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Jeanie and I have turned the page on the truck to haul our 2020 N* Laredo SC.
This week we bought a 2020 Ford F-350 XLT SRW, SB, Super Cab, 148" WB, 7.3L gas V-8, 10 speed automatic pickup.

Our decision to buy a gas truck is predicated on the super high price of diesel fuel in CA, and the $10K diesel penalty when you buy it new.
PLUS,
Jeanie no longer wants to drive and shift the NV5600, easy as it is, so I do almost all the driving.
AND,
This Gen II Cummins (2001-2002 High Output) is THE loudest of the breed.

The F-350 gas is very quiet so Jeanie and I can talk during long trips, and she can now do a lot of the driving on long trips.
I may get 35 inch tires when the 33.2's wear out, and add a Tru Trac locker in front, but that's about it. No lift. It's high enough as is.
Besides, we'll keep the '01 Cummins for the really hairy trails and the approaching armageddon. The F-350 will be the culturally acceptable rig, not the gnarly mud rat.

This one has the jobber electrical package with lots of extra switches for whatever and an AC inverter to run electrical equipment off the truck. The dual batteries and huge alternator capacity also come with the ambulance and emergency equipment trucks to keep the lights on.
All current diesels have 2 batteries. Almost all gas trucks have only one battery.
This new 7.3L Ford gas V-8 is a stand alone engine in the industry. Since the slow demise of the V-10, nothing can touch the HP and TQ this thing puts out. The same engine and trans is used all the way up to F-650's.
The only thing it does not have is a rear anti-sway bar to make it truck camper certified. But you could not get the high spring rating and an anti-sway bar together.
Below are the specs for our new truck. I am overwhelmed at how overbuilt this truck happens to be.
It was spec'd out to be a tractor to haul a 5th wheel.

2020 Ford F-350 XLT 4WD SB super cab, 147 WB.

Engine: gas V-8: 7.3L (445 cu. in)

cast iron block, aluminum heads, pushrods

bore: 4.22 inches

stroke: 3.98 inches (unusually square for a Ford)

HP: 430-450 @ 5,500 rpm depending on the model

TQ: 475 # ft. @ 4K rpm

It's around 600 pounds and 525 pound feet of torque lighter than the current 6.7L diesel V-8

dual 750 cca batteries

dual alternators with a total of 397 amps

Transmission: H.D. TorqShift automatic 10 speed (10R140) which is used with the gas engine in trucks up to F-650

Gears 8, 9, and 10 are overdrive gears. How may autos do you know of that have an overdrive @ .63:1?

First gear is one of the lowest of any automatic, made for trailer starting and hauling heavy loads.
This THE widest gear ratio automatic transmission I've ever run into: 4.615 to .632
Plus the reverse is 4.7:1

First 4.615:1

Second 2.919:1

Third 2.132:1

Fourth 1.773:1

Fifth 1.519:1

Sixth 1.277:1

Seventh 1:01

Eighth 0.851:1

Ninth 0.687:1

10th 0.632:1

Reverse -4.695:1

transfer case ratio: 1:1 and 2.64:1

52.39:1 creepy crawl ratio with 4.30 gears and the auto’s 4.615:1 low gear

4.615 x 2.64 x 4.30

8 x18 wheels

275/70R 18E A/T 33.2 inch diameter tires with a 3640 pound maximum load rating

axle ratio: 4.30:1

front axle Ford, made in-house D-60 style, 35 spline open diff, 28 spline pinion, 4800 pound maximum load rating, which is fine with a much lighter engine up front.

electric locking rear Dana M275 differential with 1.53 inch, 36 spline axle shafts. Ring gear diameter: 10.8 inches.
It is stronger than my Dana 80/35 spline in my Dodge. The case looks like something from an army truck.

Ring gear diameter: 10.8 inches

auto front locking hubs

skid plates

aluminum bed and cab

6,653, 6,648, 6,798 or 7,245 pound curb weight depending on whose stats you believe

skid plates

payload: 4610 (base) or 4580 or 4320 or 4066 pounds depending

It has 4 thick leaves in the rear pack and a single upper secondary spring.

The GVWR is 11,300 pounds, mostly to do with the single rear tire 3640 pound weight E rating.

the DRW F-350 with two more tires and no significant drive line or suspension changes has a 14,000 pound GVWR mostly to do with tire rating

Class V trailer tow rating: 20K pounds

max 5th/gooseneck tow weight rating: GCWR: 28K pounds

it has the 5th wheel hitch prep across the frame under the bed further stiffening the truck’s frame

I'm expecting the actual net weight of the new lashup to go from the Dodge's 10,600 pounds to under 10K pounds, well under the GVWR.
jefe

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Jefe, if I could make a recommendation it would be about those "automatic locking front hubs". I've seen too many reports of those not locking just when they are most needed. Folks replace them with a manual locking hub set so it isn't a problem in the future. Other than that, I think you've got a great truck now. Don't know of anyone yet with the 7.3/10 speed combination but everyone I know loves their newer (2017+) Superduties, they seem to be trouble free.

Also - unless we see some pics of the new truck we're not going to believe you..........................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles