Jeeps in Camper mode

1speed

Explorer
That right there, IMO, is about as cool as a Jeep set-up get's. I love the LJ's to begin with, but yours is extra awesome. oh and I LOVE YOUR TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!! Didi you build that or buy it if you don't mind my asking. If you built it I am simply stimied and massivly impressed. If bought it's still a gorgeous trailer and such a great compliment to an amazing Jeep. IMO that's about as versatile a combo as you can get eh. Drop the trailer and you've got a rig that can go pretty much anywhere (and actualy climb well thanks to the added W/B... LOVE those LJ's, I think it's a shame they didn't make a Mid W/B JK)And with the trailer I can only imagine it makes for one comfy Base camp too. It's like the best of both worlds. A crawl capable Jeep with a smart camper in tow. Lovely truck and trailer mate, it's simply fantastic!!!!

Thanks, it is homemade.

1speed

Explorer
1speed: I think you need to get some matching Skinny LTB's for your LJ :D that would look AMAZING. Again, LOVE your set-up with the LJ and trailer... definately :drool: worthy to say the least.

Cheers

Dave

Actually the LTB's were chunking so I'm running 315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns on the trailer now. (same size as the Jeep tires)

roadkill

Adventurer
DSC05002.jpg

DSC05009.jpg

DSC04897.jpg

nothing fancy, just an M416 with a small lift and 33s, jeep running 35s. fridge in jeep, everything else in the trailer.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Actually the LTB's were chunking so I'm running 315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns on the trailer now. (same size as the Jeep tires)
Sorry to hear that mate, although I think the BigHorns are a great tire so I guess it's a wash... I will say that when I had LTB's on one of my old XJ's I hated the ride on the street, but MAN did that thing go Off-road!!!!! I used 4wd alot less with them cause of the rear locker and the fact that they just DIG like mad and keep you moving forward. Good lateral stability too once I cut mine a little. Anyway sorry for the OT ramblings, I just really like your set-up.

Also, was it you I saw running around Portland the toher day cause I'd SWEAR it was your Jeep. It's neat to see fellow Expo'ers out on the road/around town, it really makes me happy. My GF thinks it's hillarious and tells me that I'm always "picking up men" around town talking about our trucks HAHAHAHA O well, at least I'm not picking up other women I tell her eh ;)

ROADKILL: Your LJ is sweet as well. I think the LJ along with the CJ8/6 are far and away the best all-around jeeps efver made. That extra W/B makes such a difference. I love them.congrats on a beautiful build mate.

Cheers

Dave

cocco78

Adventurer
I don't use the trailer much at all, we can usually get a few days of camping equipment, tools, and food for 2 people in the Jeep
without the trailer. This trip was well over 1000 miles and a week long so the trailer had to come along...

up_expedition040.jpg

up_expedition083.jpg

trust

Adventurer
DSC05002.jpg

DSC05009.jpg

DSC04897.jpg

nothing fancy, just an M416 with a small lift and 33s, jeep running 35s. fridge in jeep, everything else in the trailer.

Roadkill, nice set up I am wondering what the triangular devices are on the rear of your top, are they vents or something?

thanks

roadkill

Adventurer
they're called Airtabs. I really didn't notice a difference in fuel mileage but then again there are so many variables involved. i did notice when running through rain i have virtually zero road spray settling on my rear window and as a result you can see behind you much better while driving in the rain. i believe they would have a more pronounced affect on an aerodynymic rig. i need to drive it on the highway without a trailer and see what happens. I've noticed before these were installed that sometimes i got better mpg with a trailer. i think the trailer helped with a boattail effect and thus streamlined the air flow around the rear of the jeep.

for the guys running roof racks, these Airtabs placed in front of the rack may help direct the air over the rack thus increasing mpg and reducing the wind noise.

zjrog

Observer
My mastiff's first trip camping...
BlackrockSept09001.jpg

My buddies, Scott and Mason convinced me to go cold weather camping.
Harker200911150022.jpg

We checked the local weather stations when we got back home, to find we were out in -17* cold...

A couple weeks ago...
24Jul2010Misc0033.jpg

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
when it's just me, this is the majority of what i take:

P1070150.JPG

That's a tent-cot, weatherproof clothes bag (with clothes, toiletries, towel, etc), pillow, sleeping bag. not shown would be: small kitchen set with the essentials and a MSR reactor cooking system, 2.5 gallon scepter water container, a stocked igloo "14 CAN ICE CUBE MARINE" cooler, some wine, and sometimes firewood.

beyond that, the Jeep always contains:
multiple flashlights & headlamps, bug-out-bag with ample survival and first aid items, full toolkit, full assortment of spare parts, tire repair kit, full size spare, full size shovel and axe, hi-lift jack, factory jack, fire extinguishers, multi-tools and knives, baby-wipes, hat/jacket, mini jump-start battery pack (till i get dual batteries), battery trail welding kit, on-board-air.

when i take the family, we add an rei hobitat 6 tent (instead of the tent-cot) more chairs/sleeping bags/pillows/clothes bags, cots, a large table, coleman perfectflow instastart grill/stove combo, propane canisters, a larger igloo cooler, sometimes an rei screenhouse, a coleman propane or flourescent lantern

P1020540.JPG

How do you like your tent cot?

When I camp omre than one day I break out the tent but if Its only one night I take the bottom seat cushion out and throw my air matress in the back. Been wanting to rig up something to open the hatch from the inside so I can get out of the Jeep easier.

theksmith

Explorer
How do you like your tent cot?

When I camp omre than one day I break out the tent but if Its only one night I take the bottom seat cushion out and throw my air matress in the back. Been wanting to rig up something to open the hatch from the inside so I can get out of the Jeep easier.

tent-cot has lots of little drawbacks, but for new-place-every-night type camping, the ease of setup/teardown wins out over any drawback. if i'm camping more than one night anywhere, i'd rather have a real tent and a cot.

i recommend a weatherproof duffel to go with it, because there's really not room inside for anything but yourself. (of course you could leave everything in your vehicle too, but i like to be able to reach out of the tent-cot to get to fresh clothes and such).

i just camped in the rain last weekend with it and used the rain fly for the first time - it held up great, no leaks. i was really worried about ventilation with the fly, but it was fine in 50-55*F weather at night. it would most likely be very stuffy in warm weather with the fly. fortunately i live in the ussually-dry AZ.

Azlugz

Adventurer
Setting up for a Cherry Creek Expedition run. Kids will ride the quads, wife and I in the Jeep with the trailer

DSC00181.jpg

the first morning parked on top of the mesa
DSC00210.jpg

Packed and ready for the trail
DSC00305.jpg

coming down
DSC00348.jpg

dirt road section!!!
DSC00493.jpg

small washout area
DSC00544.jpg

and another
DSC00628.jpg

Sad to say I sold that Jeep but now have the ZJ to pull the Jumping Jack and pull behind the 5th wheel

Group2.gif

JDaPP

Adventurer
they're called Airtabs. I really didn't notice a difference in fuel mileage but then again there are so many variables involved. i did notice when running through rain i have virtually zero road spray settling on my rear window and as a result you can see behind you much better while driving in the rain. i believe they would have a more pronounced affect on an aerodynymic rig. i need to drive it on the highway without a trailer and see what happens. I've noticed before these were installed that sometimes i got better mpg with a trailer. i think the trailer helped with a boattail effect and thus streamlined the air flow around the rear of the jeep.

for the guys running roof racks, these Airtabs placed in front of the rack may help direct the air over the rack thus increasing mpg and reducing the wind noise.

I know this an old thread, but any update on the Airtabs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles