Jeeping Across America - Wanderings Of The West

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Great pics but the one thing that blew me away was that light bar...That thing really lights up the night. More info please.

Darrell

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
It's an aurora 50" 300W lightbar in spot configuration. I got it a long time ago, before the newer 5W LEDs were out. The new bars are 500W and are even more powerful.

ZMagic97

Explorer
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ackvue.TRS1&_nkw=blackvue&ghostText=&_sacat=0

I have a blackvue. IMHO, they are the best. Their software especially. Check out the various models on ebay and see which ones have the features you want. All video is backed by google map GPS breadcrumbing, and a tri axis accelerometer (admissible in court)...some have wifi so that you can live stream to your idevice, etc. I highly recommend one for all vehicles that you own. If it saves you from one BS ticket or BS accident, it paid for itself.

The image quality is also superb. Don't judge it by mine, since it was pitch black, my windshield was filthy, wet and it was blizzarding out. You can check out examples of video quality all over youtube.

Thanks! I'm looking into one of these for recording my trips.

garyhaupt

Gary Haupt
**** and damn you to hell..now I have to drive to Kansas. The Monument Rocks..why have I never heard of these? Been to Moab a bunch and S Utah has my tacks all over it, but Kansas? not till now.

Gary Haupt
Kiitmat, BC..up close to Hyder Alaska

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
**** and damn you to hell..now I have to drive to Kansas. The Monument Rocks..why have I never heard of these? Been to Moab a bunch and S Utah has my tacks all over it, but Kansas? not till now.

Gary Haupt
Kiitmat, BC..up close to Hyder Alaska

Yup, this was the first time I was able to check this place out. Every time I pass through Kansas on my little adventures, I end up crossing it in the middle of the night, so i keep on driving. This time, thanks to our schedule I was able to finally stop there for the day and enjoy the rocks!

RVaMike

Excellent write up, enjoyable reading as well as the pics... A trip like this is high up on my list of things I want to do within the next 2-3 years.

I really felt like I can relate when you got to the part about keeping your passenger in mind, and your wife "tolerating" this type of trip. My wife is exactly like you described yours, she camps with me, etc, mostly for the enjoyment of being outdoors and the scenery, she's not as into the "camping" aspect of it as I am. We went to Flagstaff and Sedona, AZ on our first anniversary. In Sedona we rented a nice, mildly modified Rubicon from Barlow's Jeep rentals. She "humored" me and "tolerated" the excursion because she knew it was my thing. I had to stop once or twice for the same reason, she was either sick, or not quite as excited to tackle a trail obstacle as I was. On some of the mild trails when I put her behind the wheel she did much better and actually had a bit of fun and enjoyment with it ;)

grogie

Like to Camp
Awesome trip! Thanks for taking us a long as that's my kind of trip! You've got cool JK Rubicon. Last September I drove to Utah over 15 days, 4200 miles (Ouray, Durango, Valley of the Gods, Lake Powell, Kodachrome State Park, Coral Reef NP, then Moab). The wife and I spent nine nights in the roof top tent on the trailer that I pull behind my Jeep TJ. I also throw in a few nice places along the way (like a B&B, etc.) And I as well dropped my wife off at DIA so that she could fly home (lol). My wife was generally pretty good about it (only one grumpy day).

Anyway, Glenwood Springs is always a nice stop. The night photos you took are awesome! I bet Moab in the winter is great to see, and a lot less people too. It is a shame that you missed out on the Shafer trail switchbacks when driving all that way to them.

Plus I've driven through Kansas a lot and I never knew about Monument Rocks, so I'll have to put that on a future route!

Thanks again for sharing. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier