Jeep XJ Pop Top Camper Build

What's Up!

This is an open forum thread relating to the build, travel, and concepts of the Pop Top XJ.

craftsmancollab-jeep-camping-poptop-desert-ocotillo-tierradelsol.png

Full Details & Content: craftsmancollab.com
IG: @craftsmancollaborative
Youtube: @craftsmancollaborative

This thread, and build, has been some years in the making.
Reference the updated page directory:

Page 1 --- Intro, History, Early Build
Page 2 --- One Ton Steering, Initial Westfalia Roof Chop & Mounting
Page 3 --- AC Repair, Engine Failure
Page 4 --- 4.0 Engine Replacement, Engine Bay, Break In
Page 5 --- Viper Coil, Cowl Intake, Engine Catastrophe
Page 6 --- Engine Catastrophe
Page 7 --- Fuel Pump, Quarter Trim, Intake & Fried PCM
Page 8 --- PCM Driver Replacement, HP Dana 30 Truss & Build
Page 9 --- Dana 30, Glass Replacement, Exhaust, Trackbar Brace
Page 10 -- Mold Making: Measurements & Prep
Page 11 -- Mold Making: Foam Plug & Hotwire, Gibson Header, Soft Top
Page 12 -- Mold Making: Plug Body Work; Flange
Page 13 -- Mold Making: Primer, Wet Sanding
Page 14 -- Mold Making: Top Coat; PVA; Gelcoat & Wax Failure
Page 15 -- Mold Making: Mold Gelcoat & Lamination, Suitcase Diesel Heater
Page 16 -- Mold Making: Mold "ExoCage" Supports; Mold Release
Page 17 -- Mold Making: Pop Top Gelcoat; Lamination; Final Product, Tail Light Housing
Page 17 -- (Continued) Cedar & Epoxy Headliner, AX15 Rebuild, Fender Repair
Page 18 -- Custom Pop Top Hinges, Insulated Undercoating, AX15 Swap, Crossmember
Page 19 -- DIY Lizard Skin, Bed Liner, Unibody Plating
Page 20 -- Frame Stiffeners, Hidden Winch Bumper
Page 21-23 -- Finished Camper Coverage & Jeep Camping

The poptop conversion/top is not currently for sale, but...
Follow @expeditiontops to stay in the know.

jakegrovephoto-jeepagon-jeep-xj-westfalia-pop-top-conversion-camper.jpg
V1 "Jeepagon" - Jeep Camper Build W/ Upcycled Westfalia Roof

jeep-camping-best-rooftop-tents-pros-cons-wrangler-cherokee-california.jpg
V2
"Pop Top XJ" - Fully rebuilt with a production grade custom camper top.
Stealthier and more functional than a rooftop tent for Jeep Camping, commuting and building a livable area in the Jeep.

The Build:

A 2000 Cherokee with a custom molded fiberglass pop top (previously a retrofitted westfalia camper top from a mid model VW bus). All custom fit and fabricated. Eight-Point Roll Cage. Drivetrain overhaul and countless other modifications. Interior camper and fabrication is currently a work in progress. Built to be the perfect set up for Jeep Camping and extended time living out of the Jeep on the road.

History behind the build (skip down for actual ongoing content):

Introduction:
I bought my 2nd (and current) Jeep, A 2000 Jeep XJ Cherokee, back in March of 2017.
The XJ was bone stock, never offroaded, and a Daily Driver.
I drove up to LA from San Diego and bought it within a few hours of the ad going live, they go like hotcakes down here.

It was a fair price for the age and had just passed smog with 214k miles on the clock.
All ran well other than a covered up overheating issue.

Factory Specs:
4.0 liter high output I6 Jeep engine (0331 head)
AW4 4-speed automatic transmission
NP231 Transfer Case
Low Pinion Dana 30 front differential (open)
Chrysler 8.25 Rear (Factory limited slip)
3.55 Gear Ratio / 225-75-15 tires

The first month I owned it I swapped over some 30" BFG K02 tires, which made the rig capable enough to make it up to most of the Jeep Camping trails in the area. I started onto some refurbishing and upkeep while waiting to sell my '94 2wd I had previously built.

At the moment of creating this thread I've done a good amount of modifications, fixes, and have learned a lot to share with all.
I will do category specific posts when I have the chances to and as upgrades occur but until then am happy to answer any questions on my set up.

See more write-ups & in-depth content here: craftsmancollab.com

Youtube Content - Covering The full Pop Top Build & Jeep Build/Adventures

Last edited:
Before getting into my current build, a short tribute to my original jeep. One that taught me plenty on the XJ platform (and as a first car, a lot in general)

This was a ‘94 that my dad bought new out of college. It was given to my cousins in the mid 2000’s and came back my way in April 2016. It was faded hunter green. Eaten through to primer. 2 wheel drive with an open rear end. But it ran well at 215k; a reliable daily driver. With minimal fender trim it ran 30” K02s and had a DEA issue gun-safe bolted to the inside for photo and skate gear. Towards the end of its life in my garage it had a dirtworx front bumper and a junkyard S10 "bastard" pack supporting the rear. It was a simple overland rig but provided many great memories of skate trips to empty pools and desert spots along the way.

Even as a 2WD it still became a travel-ready rig for Jeep Camping and ignited the vision for a full Jeep Camper build.

The body was rattle canned satin black while the hood went gloss with the roller method (surprisingly good for the home depot aisle). It sold for $2500 when I decided the 4x4 life was calling and pursed the updated body and interior of the 97+. Nothing like first jeep nostalgia...

Follow (Instagram) --> @craftsmancollaborative
Subscribe (Youtube) -->
@craftsmancollaborative

a8baedf0a17b07d8a81e95a214c10253.jpg
e6809d24aba18db1613fb681b59bb97d.jpg
37d799781f1d37576db679b54ddc2e9e.jpg

10c7a8ce8d9e3a43251523b92516e68b.jpg
b037eaeeb366814426c387ff69db9463.jpg

Last edited:
eb0794c4bd9742dc01a8b1ba60be18fa.jpg

The first month I owned my current XJ. Make it reliable before heavy modification. Learn how it handles on and off-road stock.
Taking it on some mountaintop Jeep Camping trails gave an idea of what modifications would make it a more-than-capable camper.

First Modifications for Camping & Reliability:

30" BFG KO2 A/T tires
K4 Halogen Headlights
Replacement Clutch Fan (ZJ Upgrade)

b35e8b7862b123e63404950358f6e9cb.jpg
53d8c3751dd1af7ca07dc7e6ecfd0f91.jpg
03dd75e4ea9c0a9d8456e429a218a992.jpg

Last edited:
I like the pop-top, good job. I'm curious about how you attached the fabric tent to the roof of the jeep and if you manage to keep water out completely.

Thanks @Whaler. Originally it was riveted down every 3 inches to the portion that factory rack bars would bolt to. This did a decent job but being in San Diego It hasn’t seen serious storms yet. I’ve seen some VW models use rails that sandwich the canvas to the roof, when I reinstall the updated top I think I’ll try that and perhaps have a slight overhang on the inside to use RTV between the metal track and roof as well.

858b0c239547701a45f1bd7758f9cae6.jpg

Above is when I first picked up the VW top from Craigslist. It was $500 with canvas hinges and extra pieces. All good condition for the age. It came from a split window and according to the owner was not an original factory westfalia to his belief. He "never used the camper setup and preferred a ragtop". VW enthusiasts may be wincing at the thought, but I knew it'd get a new life of good use.

Image below is the first “jeepagon” that circled Jeep Forum and Expedition Portal a few years back. @arbslikewhoa on jeep forum made a rough cut conversion but sold it not too long afterwards, never to be seen again.

a79b794c6ed16c0b92d3aae7fde9fbf6.jpg

Last edited:

rubicon91

Explorer
Hey Guys,

Just got into the flow of things here at expedition portal, and the community is great.
I've had more and more questions coming in about my ongoing jeep xj overland camper build and want to make a place to house everything in an open forum.

View attachment 475627

First of all an introduction:
I bought my 2nd Jeep Cherokee back in March of 2017. It is a 2000 Jeep XJ Cherokee and was bone stock, never offroaded and a Daily Driver.
I drove up to Anaheim from San Diego and bought it within a few hours of the ad going live, they go like hotcakes down here.

It was $3000 and had just passed smog, had 214k miles and ran well other than a slight overheating issue at the time.
Factory Specs: 4.0 liter high output I6 Jeep engine, AW4 automatic transmission, NP231 Transfer Case, Low Pinion Dana 30 front, Chrysler 8.25 Rear with factory limited slip. 3.73 gear ratio.

The first month I owned it I swapped over some 30" BFG K02's and did some refurbishing and upkeep while waiting to sell my '94 2wd I had previously restored and flipped.

At the moment of creating this thread I've done a good amount of modifications, fixes, and learned a lot I'm excited to share with all. It has a westfalia poptop from a 70's VW bus adapted to fit and is now caged in addition to a good bunch of other extras. I will do category specific posts when I have the chances to, but until then am happy to answer any questions on my set up.

I have just began putting together write-ups on my photo website in detail, that will be updated continuously and found clicking here!

Also, here are a few videos to see the journey of the build as it progresses and hear me talk a good minute on my concepts:

That is sweet. I will have to go and check this out.

Before getting into the camper build a fast forward through the suspension.

JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-suspension-lift-rubicon-express-3.5%22-shortarm.png

Following stock vehicle repair the lift was the next major component.
My kit was sourced from a couple different donor jeeps to achieve my ideal combination for budget/capability.

Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit
RE 3.5" Front Coils - 240lbs/in (PN# RE1300)
RE .75" Coil Spacer (PN# RE1333)
RE 3.5" Full Rear Leaf Pack - (PN# RE1463)
RE Swaybar Disconnects - Source from TJ (PN# RE1131)
RE Monotube Shocks
Brake Best Extended Soft Lines (PN# BH622067, BH622065)

Originally:
Fixed Pressed-bushing LCA
OEM Upper Control Arm

Currently:
Cavfab Adjustable Heim/Pressed Bushing LCA
Cavfab Adjustable Heim UCA (PN# 229RAW)
Artec Truss W/ UCA Johnny Joints (PN# XJ3003)

JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-lift-suspension-rubicon-express-3.5%22-install.pngJGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-offroad-bumper-swingout-dirtworx.pngJGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-dirtworx-bullbar-stinger-bumper.png

Following Lift Installation bumpers were ordered and installed.

Dirtworx Front Bullbar Bumper (Widened to fit XJ front)
Dirtworx Rear Tire Swingout (W/ Hitch, Hi-lift, Jerry Can, Shackles)

JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-32%22-cooper-stt-discoverer-pro-tires.pngJGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-tires-32%22-cooper-stt-discoverer-pro-procomp-69-wheels.png

Tires and Wheels were then purchased and installed.

32 - 11.50 - R15 Cooper Discoverer Pro STT (DT PN# 11505)
15" Pro Comp 69 Series Alloy Wheels (DT PN# 72802)
Splined Lug Kit

Last edited:
JGP-jeep-cherokee-westfalia-poptop-camper-conversion-volkswagen-bus-donor.png
The poptop assembly as I bought it. Being that a VW bus doesn’t have a hood the roof is much longer and comes in two parts;
the tent top and the luggage rack. On this model bus the tent was in the rear and opened with the high side closest to the driver cab.

JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-westfalia-poptop-camper-conversion-volkswagen-fiberglass-parts.png

^ This is the part that is used to fit the cherokee, it is still too long even without the luggage rack.

JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-westfalia-poptop-camper-conversion-fiberglass-overhang-fitment.png

b5c116bad42d7581670b0a296af6d6e8.jpg

Above is the luggage rack. I set this aside and had no use for it (later sold).
The original jeep forum “jeepagon” spliced the edge of the rack to the open end of the poptop.
I decided not too as the splice is a pain and has a upward facing crack to leak. Mine rather glasses a new profile to the open end.

JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-westfalia-camper-poptop-modification-fiberglass.png
Original Prototype Glue Up. a thicker board was used. Glassed with 2 plus of mat and then trimmed to fit.
The top was redone and no longer uses this method. See further into the build thread for later modification.

The original rear was slightly slanted out and maintained a flat profile.
The canvas from a bus is also too long so I trimmed and re stitched it.
Luckily the mesh on this one was just about the length of the XJ so It was preserved for the most part.

JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-westfalia-conversion-camper-hinges.png
Spring Bar Mounts

Most of the hardware on the VW was old and not installed the best after decades of use.
Luckily all hinges were straight enough to use without binding.

JGP-jeep-cherokee-westfalia-poptop-camper-fitment.png

I flipped the top around so that the "back" of the VW bus would be at the front of my XJ.
This worked well and fit the curve above the widnshield once trimmed.

Attachments

• JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-westfalia-conversion-camper-luggage-rack.png
    JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-westfalia-conversion-camper-luggage-rack.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You installed frame stiffeners yet? IMHO, that should be the very first "mod" any Xj owner does if they plan to build it. Extends the life of the unibody exponentially.

I have not installed the traditional 3/16” plate stiffeners as JCR and others make.

The way my sliders were installed it welded into the unibody at 4 places/side with reinforcement then welds into the cage at two points. Cage stitches into all the pillars and also with floor plates at the other points. I have braced the front along the Steering with plate, but still unsure of the weight and bulk of fully plating front to back.

Thinking of fully plating the front, and my bumper/gas skid system in the rear will take into account reinforcements.

(Update: Full DIY XJ Stiffeners Installed Bumper to Bumper)

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
You installed frame stiffeners yet? IMHO, that should be the very first "mod" any Xj owner does if they plan to build it. Extends the life of the unibody exponentially.

I have not installed the traditional 3/16” plate stiffeners as JCR and others make.

The way my sliders were installed it welded into the unibody at 4 places/side with reinforcement then welds into the cage at two points. Cage stitches into all the pillars and also with floor plates at the other points. I have braced the front along the Steering with plate, but still unsure of the weight and bulk of fully plating front to back.

Thinking of fully plating the front, and my bumper/gas skid system in the rear will take into account reinforcements.

As long as it keeps body flex to a minimum without placing all the load on small points, you should be fine. As good as the XJ platform is, they just don't have the stamina of an on-frame vehicle over time. Glad you've addressed it and the Jeep is sweet! Do you ha e any more pics or a link to that drawer style fridge? It's pretty cool!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Very cool. I followed the original build thread way back in the day on Jeep Forum. I was kind of sad when it just sort of abruptly ended. I am pretty excited to see this project of yours!

Very cool. I followed the original build thread way back in the day on Jeep Forum. I was kind of sad when it just sort of abruptly ended. I am pretty excited to see this project of yours!

Thanks Greg! I had been trying to message the owner of the previous jeepagon while starting mine, and finally got in contact when he saw my thread pop up. Sounds like it made is way to other owners after he initially sold it and hasn’t gotten word of it since, but has built a good few other offroad/camping rigs since. The Jeep Forum build thread gave me a lot of ideas on how to adjust it to fit my build best.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles