Jeep XJ Westfalia Camper Build - The "Jeepagon" V2

wjeeper

Active member
Nice! I am stoked to see my hair brained idea in action! It lasted you most of the night on 6ah! Did you notice how often it cycled?

The two 9ah batteries I am thinking of using may do the trick then.
 

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader


Picked up a 2KW diesel heater for the Jeep.
Made a portable “suitcase” heater for the moment of tent camping.

Running on 18v ryobi batteries, with a 24v to 12v step down transformer (ryobi measured ~22v, 12.8v after step down)

The 6AH lithium lasted most the night on low.

Figure 6AH @ 18v = 108WH = 9AH @ 12v
Draw is just shy of 1A on low, near 8A on first start.
Any chance you’d do a full write up with parts list on this? It’s dang cool!!
 

jakegrovephoto

Active member
Any chance you’d do a full write up with parts list on this? It’s dang cool!!
I’ll put something together on my site down the line. Would be great in this setup for a RTT, with a longer duct hose of course. It’ll be hard mounted in the Jeep down the line, I got a tight fit but it’ll be tucked in.
 

jakegrovephoto

Active member
What kind of temp were you camping in?

Utah vs Socal winter camping is probably pretty different.....
40F ahahaha. Not really a winter camp.

I was with a blanket, not a legit sleeping bag, and had it on low just to put it to use. I think it’d do quite well in an insulated Jeep. This is the smallest (2KW) model.
 

wjeeper

Active member
Hey getting out is getting out 'cold' or not!

Thats middle of the summer mountain camping weather in utah! I am sure a jeem np would hold the heat way better than a tent. Although with our pop tops there is still a fair bit of canvas. Glad you tested my proof of concept. It's gonna take bigger + more batteries but your setup proves the proof of concept for me!
 

jakegrovephoto

Active member



Finished fitment.
Cardboard sandwiched in between all contact points. This provides some “give” to factor in the shrinkage and lifting of the resin, rather than risk distorting the mold.
 

jakegrovephoto

Active member


Although the plug and mold parted fairly well structurally, a good bit of paint from the plug yanked and stuck to the mold. Essentially ruining the polished mirror surface.

Back to wetsanding. Most of the plug paint is knocked down with a wet 400 as I call it a night. Will fix some other surface chips in the gelcoat and then sand it all to 2000 before polishing and waxing. This time with ALL Silicone Free labeled products.
 

wjeeper

Active member
Huge bummer about the setbacks with the mold process! Its awesome that your trying something new, and learning new processes......but it makes me all the more excited that I found a ready-made top
 
Top