Jeep XJ Pop Top Camper Build

3ff879ff9ed0cbe250c3a3faa0ee5ee5.jpg

Picked up a new spray gun
Finished laying down the topcoat

Follow (Instagram) --> @craftsmancollaborative
Subscribe (Youtube) --> @craftsmancollaborative

Last edited:

wjeeper

Plug is looking good! I don't have the patience to do bodywork.........

Too bad I missed you this weekend. I picked up the top to start on Jeepagon 3.0. I just have to clear the que of projects a bit to get started on it!

ff3c02e8f961d46515a7711e7ff51daf.jpg

Applying the Gelcoat had some major setbacks. First, trying to push that viscosity through a 2mm gun tip. Tried to keep laying down the remains of the cup and on the third coat it kicked in the gun. No good.

Peeling/Scraping/Scratching gooey gelcoat and PVA was a thorough mess. The exposed side is intended to not cure exposed to air (needs a backing of glass, or PVA/wax for repairs/topcoats) and as such the only thing I could manage to clear the mess was a pressure washer.

This took off lots of the finish and caused some damage on its own. Back track a couple weeks of body work/finishing.

Couldn’t recover so on to sanding back into primer, adding some putty and another ply of glass to the rear profile, and a new topcoat. Frustrating, but I’ve slowed down the whole detailing process to keep my cool and feel better about the finished plug.

864086b20917a49075b8f1f6f77ff21c.jpg

Bought a simple 3.0mm Tip Gun (best option short of a $130 dump gun). Buying Vinyl Ester Tooling Gel for the mold layer. Quite the process.

Last edited:
e6374db6647e36d3d5cb1932c993387d.jpg

Figured out another problem in the mold-making prep. Turns out the shimmer wax I had coated with is a silicone product. No good to use with the PVA, which explained the fight I had there. Partall #2 Parting Wax will now be recoated over the entire plug before proceeding.

I also picked up a higher quality Orange VE Tooling Gelcoat for the mold surface. Might as well do it the best after all this time/work.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
There was a guy around here with a screen name of jscherb. He did some amazing stuff with fiberglass Jeep tops. It may be worth trying to reach out to him and see if he has any advice? He seems very knowledgeable and good to talk to.

wjeeper

Man sounds like some major setbacks! It will be worth it when your finished it was looking so great before the gelcoat.

Fiberglass work is something I have never done before.....I gotta learn as I have a few repairs and modifications

There's plenty of content out there for basic fiberglass instructionals... a key thing to keep in mind when starting is all the strength comes from the reinforcement (fiberglass mat, cloth) not the resin itself. As little resin as needed to "wet out" the fiber does the job.

Another fiberglass reference:
TheSamba "Werksberg" has been selling various homemade westy & VW parts for years. This listing is still up selling a set of remade westfalia molds, and some details on the westfalia factory originals as well. Check that out here!

Last edited:
@wjeeper Why's this look so familiar?

I'd like to know the origins of who made this shell. Custom? Never seen a van with that short of a roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles