Jeep XJ Pop Top Camper Build

32a773380711e9b05f5e77b86d9ea597.jpg

Blew out a pinion seal that never got replaced on the front 30 swap.

28ee7f20a761b16a4af459ddb59d235c.jpg

Great build thread. I am following but you havent made any progress... or have you?

Yep progress slowed a good bit. Worked full time + the full summer and been double shifting full time school/work the past couple weeks. Taking time off through the fall to get back in the camper and with some funds set aside now to do a few more things.

JGP-jeep-cherokee-xj-fiberglass-fenders.png

Went to the parts yard this morning. Discount day. Planned to pull a 8.8 Rear End from a ‘97 Bauer Explorer but someone beat me to it.
Finally found one with the 4.10 Limited Slip (Code# D2). First I’ve found in a good couple years.

Regardless got a deal on a set of fiberglass fenders. Unsure when I’ll get around to fixing and painting them but the stance sits fair with my current offset.
May run a different bumper setup and swap over then.

Mocked up the roof to begin some sheet metal work but won’t start chop/welds until it cools off from this heat wave.

Last edited:
JGP-jeep-sequioa-seat-swap-xj-cherokee.png
JGP-jeep-shoppress.png

Scored some clean leather fold-flat seats out of an ‘03 Sequioa. Measures to just barely fit as a front set of seats and will work well with the bed platform system I have planned.

Also pieced together a shop press with remnant metal from my local supply and a 20 Ton Jack.

Last edited:

Trim template for even sides. The original chop was more of a “rough” straight with a jigsaw.

Made a little hand tool with a drill bit to score a line into each side at an even point in reference to the top. Tape a line up to follow it then clamp metal for the trim template. The front of the roof is a different profile and will be measured as such.

Homemade Camper Builder Series: Episode 1

Last edited:

coronan

This write up is greatly motivating! I have a non VW van that i would like to add a pop top to.
toyotavan_downhill.jpg
I read earlier that you fabed the angle iron 73.25 x 44.75? Was that inside or outside dimensions?

This is a hard mod to plan without the real thing in front of me.
I don't know if I a VW pop top roof will fit. OR if I should fab my own roof to fit an off the shelf VW tent.
Would you mind sharing the POP top SHELL outer dimensions?
What are the tent outer dimensions?

Thanks for taking time to document the process!

This write up is greatly motivating! I have a non VW van that i would like to add a pop top to.
View attachment 537346
I read earlier that you fabed the angle iron 73.25 x 44.75? Was that inside or outside dimensions?

This is a hard mod to plan without the real thing in front of me.
I don't know if I a VW pop top roof will fit. OR if I should fab my own roof to fit an off the shelf VW tent.
Would you mind sharing the POP top SHELL outer dimensions?
What are the tent outer dimensions?

Thanks for taking time to document the process!

Thanks! Glad to know the extra work of documenting it is going to good use. Nice rig!

Dimensions are a little all over the place as I continue to change so much, but I’ll be putting together a more detailed write up when I wrap up this stage and have a moment to enter it into my site.
I’ll have before and after dimensions there. This forum helps to keep the progress going with quick daily posts as things happen. I have a video series planned as well so you can see things a little better detail than stills. I’ll keep you all updated as this is finished.

Homemade Camper Builder Series: Episode 1

Last edited:
Finished up some trimming and edge profiling. This is how the current test fit looks.

Note the clamp/strap on the rear keeping the gutter edge pulled in.

This was flexing out wider without the rear profile and will need pulled in as the new profile is glassed together.

All else is looking good. The front has a 2mm gap at the outside corners between the roof and the seal at static placement.

Once it has a matching seal setup this will be compressed down (think yeti cooler style latches)

Next step is preparing for the real work in creating a new rear profile and construction

Homemade Camper: Episode 1 Poptop Builder Series

Last edited:
61ec25a0045d61c85ea089a274e4b9bc.jpg

Finally convinced myself to take it into ORW. Nothing more than a toe set on the alignment. I’ve done Caster myself and run 6.0* at the moment with no noticeable issues. Camber, on a straight axle of course, has no immediate adjustment necessary.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles