Jeep XJ Pop Top Camper Build

Mules

WOW! That is incredible.
Do you have more pics or a video walkaround? It's hard to see the details with the super shiny finish (which looks awesome).

Is that one massive hardtop that connects the tub with the cab? When it's popped up can you crawl right through?

Awesome!

-Dan
Thanks, it has a drop down bed inside, 8ft walk around height and open to the cab. The build link is below with lots of progress pictures. It was a year in the making and it's not done yet!

IMG_7002.JPG

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks, it has a drop down bed inside, 8ft walk around height and open to the cab. The build link is below with lots of progress pictures. It was a year in the making and it's not done yet!

Absolutely incredible, thanks! I can't believe I missed your build thread, and I actually just read every single page (instead of doing work that I should be doing). Thanks for the inspiration!!

-Dan

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Absolutely incredible, thanks! I can't believe I missed your build thread, and I actually just read every single page (instead of doing work that I should be doing). Thanks for the inspiration!!

-Dan
I am always amazed by his build... as well as this XJ build. Been following so many builds over the years. Need to get mine done some day! lol

And yeah, get back at it @Dan Grec! heh

This XJ is a dream build. I've always had the vision of being able to run hard trails with a rig that is setup to camp out of. This fits that very well. Awesome work, would love to see more.

Thanks! In the process of rolling out the always mentioned video footage & a new site layout - but that's been a backburner project.

Pulled over on a parts run to check out this camper / roof top tent setup today.
Branded Bad A** Tents (The forum sensors this :rolleyes:)

Looks like a three piece plastic molded exterior, with an aluminum core frame.
Really dig the look and concept of the structure. Seals directly to the roof, but looking them up online it has a mountable platform beneath, which the camper hinges would seemingly mount to. The 4runner roof was intact so this is setup as a roof top instead of a poptop camper. Different than the same old boxy RTT's you see everywhere.

************-tent-camper-4runner-jeep-xj-poptop-1.JPG************-tent-camper-4runner-jeep-xj-poptop-2.JPG************-tent-camper-4runner-jeep-xj-poptop-3.JPG************-tent-camper-4runner-jeep-xj-poptop-4.JPG

XJlimitedx99

Sorry to continue bumping these older threads, but I'm down a rabbit hole. Gears are turning about making a Jeepagon 4.0...

Few questions about the top:

-How do the hinges work? I see there is a spring-loaded mechanism to assist. Is it easy? Is it a fluid motion where you push up on the back and the whole thing rotates up easily, or do you have to work it a bit to ensure each side lifts equally and the front end raises how it is supposed to? Also interested to hear what closing it is like. I see you have a handle mounted on this inside, presumably for closing.

-Does the top lock or latch shut? Is there a mechanism of sorts that holds downward pressure to keep it sealed against the roof?

-Any idea on weight of the top, including the canvas and hinges?

-What is the interior height from floor of the Jeep to peak of the top when opened?

-How is the canvas attached to the body?

-What does the canvas do when the top is shut? I can see it bunched up in one of your pictures. Does it fold/tuck/hide away in a way that is not intrusive?

-Is there a good source of Westfalia information you could recommend? First I've ever considered looking into them, so don't really know where to start.

Sorry for the 20 questions, I'm just dreaming about what could be.

Last edited:
Sorry to continue bumping these older threads, but I'm down a rabbit hole. Gears are turning about making a Jeepagon 4.0...

Few questions about the top:

-How do the hinges work? I see there is a spring-loaded mechanism to assist. Is it easy? Is it a fluid motion where you push up on the back and the whole thing rotates up easily, or do you have to work it a bit to ensure each side lifts equally and the front end raises how it is supposed to? Also interested to hear what closing it is like. I see you have a handle mounted on this inside, presumably for closing.

-Does the top lock or latch shut? Is there a mechanism of sorts that holds downward pressure to keep it sealed against the roof?

-Any idea on weight of the top, including the canvas and hinges?

-What is the interior height from floor of the Jeep to peak of the top when opened?

-How is the canvas attached to the body?

-What does the canvas do when the top is shut? I can see it bunched up in one of your pictures. Does it fold/tuck/hide away in a way that is not intrusive?

-Is there a good source of Westfalia information you could recommend? First I've ever considered looking into them, so don't really know where to start.

Sorry for the 20 questions, I'm just dreaming about what could be.
Not a problem at all - the build is still alive and well and so is this thread.

The hinges are similar in style to a westfalia top.
(The rear pushbar is a repurposed westfalia part with bobbed springs/length. The front scissor hinges are a DIY beefed up version but work just the same as the westfalia).

The whole assembly has a bit of a spring assist to it - so it's not awful but takes a moderate push upwards.
With the parts rebuilt and refurbished it opens quite evenly/fluidly.

Currently the top is snugged down with a set of straps to my bumper recovery points - but a latch will be used one day (because it's the little things that never get finished).

The top is under ~100 lbs if I had to guess but haven't weighed it fully. I was able to lift it myself while working on it.

Canvas is attached with aluminum flat bar that sandwiches the canvas to the body and bolts down every few inches. Again - similar to the westfalia method but a bit modernized.

Canvas bunches a bit when closed - but walking around with a quick tuck in isn't a big deal. Sportsmobile uses a bungee style on some of their tops IIRC to pull the canvas in - but. haven't bothered to rig this up yet.

Westfalia info is hit and miss - but checking one out in person or some general videos is always a plus. Gowesty has some good stuff (products/content) around the westfalia platform.

Dream on 🧰👊

(Also - doing more content on youtube and instagram these days if you haven't tuned in. May answer more questions as well)

https://www.youtube.com/@craftsmancollaborative

https://www.instagram.com/craftsmancollaborative/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles