Jeep XJ Pop Top Camper Build

XJlimitedx99

Thank you for answering all of my questions. When it comes down to it, putting the top on doesn't seem incredibly complex. Its pretty straightforward.

One detail that I would definitely incorporate is a cage. I consider my XJ a wheeling rig first, camping rig second, so to me the cage takes priority. I really would like the cage to be external up the A-pillars and down the length of the roofline at the gutter (really could've used some protection at those spots last week when I got into a tree at an awkward spot on a trail). I have not quite envisioned a way to do that cleanly with a pop top.

The top would need to be carefully notched out around the tubes to fit tight to the roof and the tubes. Not impossible. The bigger obstacle I see is getting the canvas to play nice with a hybrid cage structure that passes from external to internal. There is space in between the fiberglass top and the canvas where the tubes could pass down through the roof and not interfere with the canvas attachment, but that seems it could get complex with up/down bends to make that work.

Just food for thought for me. I have about 25 projects on the Jeep that take priority over the top, so more of a pipe dream at this point. Maybe in a couple years.

I really like what you're doing with shock hoops by tying into the shackle mount. Keeping the suspension mounts rigid is frame design 101. Those shocks are awesome too. There's just something about leaf springs and bling shocks together that gets me going.

Check out this post in my build thread to see what I did with my shock towers in the rear if you're looking for some ideas. I always enjoy seeing other people's takes on similar projects.

edit: I have been following on YouTube. I appreciate the effort you've put in to film your work and make videos. I know that's not easy. People have told me I should get into that, but I don't know that I have the drive to put in the effort to make good videos. Good job.

I deleted Instagram off my phone awhile ago because It was a time-suck. Its nice not death-scrolling for awhile, but I do miss out on some good information like what you're posting over there.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering all of my questions. When it comes down to it, putting the top on doesn't seem incredibly complex. Its pretty straightforward.

One detail that I would definitely incorporate is a cage. I consider my XJ a wheeling rig first, camping rig second, so to me the cage takes priority. I really would like the cage to be external up the A-pillars and down the length of the roofline at the gutter (really could've used some protection at those spots last week when I got into a tree at an awkward spot on a trail). I have not quite envisioned a way to do that cleanly with a pop top.

The top would need to be carefully notched out around the tubes to fit tight to the roof and the tubes. Not impossible. The bigger obstacle I see is getting the canvas to play nice with a hybrid cage structure that passes from external to internal. There is space in between the fiberglass top and the canvas where the tubes could pass down through the roof and not interfere with the canvas attachment, but that seems it could get complex with up/down bends to make that work.

Just food for thought for me. I have about 25 projects on the Jeep that take priority over the top, so more of a pipe dream at this point. Maybe in a couple years.

I really like what you're doing with shock hoops by tying into the shackle mount. Keeping the suspension mounts rigid is frame design 101. Those shocks are awesome too. There's just something about leaf springs and bling shocks together that gets me going.

Check out this post in my build thread to see what I did with my shock towers in the rear if you're looking for some ideas. I always enjoy seeing other people's takes on similar projects.

edit: I have been following on YouTube. I appreciate the effort you've put in to film your work and make videos. I know that's not easy. People have told me I should get into that, but I don't know that I have the drive to put in the effort to make good videos. Good job.

I deleted Instagram off my phone awhile ago because It was a time-suck. Its nice not death-scrolling for awhile, but I do miss out on some good information like what you're posting over there.
Right on!
Yep looks like lot's of reinforcements on your end as well.

Looked into the idea of a boxed rear shock mount - but in trying to fit all this under/around a bed platform the tube would keep a generally smaller footprint. Seconded on the endless list of projects - the camper build scrambled some effort away from the other tasks at hand (tubing/armor, adding swingout to the rear bumper, etc, etc) - slowly but surely it gets a bit of work and design here and there outside of work & life.

XJlimitedx99

Just came across this old thread while searching cage stuff. I thought his method of attaching the roof sliders (as he calls them) and the internal hoops was really cool and would work well with a pop top. I would probably add in some more triangulation, but something a bit different from what I typically see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz