Jeep Wrangler as a TOAD?

driveby

I realize many of you will think I'm nuts... but since we are looking at a longer rig and my wife will not ride on a motorcycle I wonder if a JKU properly lifted to match the 6x6 might be reasonable? Anyone with a larger overlander tow a TOAD? It doesn't appear so but I might as well ask....

86scotty

Cynic
Why not? Millions of motorhome folks do it. I am currently waiting on a new Transit to build out and plan to tow our JLU behind it on longer trips. Jeeps make the perfect toad for lots of reasons and they are getting to be about the only thing out there you can still get new with a manual transfer case.

wild1

Adventurer
Why not? Millions of motorhome folks do it. I am currently waiting on a new Transit to build out and plan to tow our JLU behind it on longer trips. Jeeps make the perfect toad for lots of reasons and they are getting to be about the only thing out there you can still get new with a manual transfer case.
They work great as a drivable trailer. We are pretty heavy on the rear axle of the truck so can’t really add much hitch weight but the 5000 pound Jeep flat towed easily.519C5666-40B0-4A5B-BDAC-D4D79381A528.jpeg

Bob W

For those that are towing a TAOD...what setups are you using. We are looking to tow a JT this year and have started looking at options. Most interested in what brake systems folks are using and experiences.

driveby

I always recommend a permantently installed proportional system such as Air Force. My current TJ has an older system that has been flawless for nearly 10 years.

86scotty

Cynic
They work great as a drivable trailer. We are pretty heavy on the rear axle of the truck so can’t really add much hitch weight but the 5000 pound Jeep flat towed easily.

I thought of mentioning that. I agree they are a great 'drivable trailer'. I've flat towed 3 Jeeps over the years and they are always full of stuff when I do, that is on top of the regular stuff. A jeep, to me, is a big Swiss Army knife so having it along is like carrying a big rolling toolbox/toybox.

For those that are towing a TAOD...what setups are you using. We are looking to tow a JT this year and have started looking at options. Most interested in what brake systems folks are using and experiences.
We use a ReadyBrute tow bar for our 2dr JK. Rather than an electricval braking system toed into a controller, it's actually just a surge brake type of set up. Have been very happy with it. https://www.readybrake.com/store/c31/Tow_Bars_w/_built-in_Braking_System.html

Charles R

Adventurer
My Jeep is fully setup for overlanding, but I just bought a shorty motorhome to tow it with. The plan is to take my mom traveling, as she never had the chance when she was younger. But this setup basically means we're rolling in a two bedroom apartment! Hahaha!

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned, but it worth considering, is that you can't really back up with a flat towed vehicle. That might complicate things depending on where you're planning on traveling. Cool idea though, try it!

wild1

Adventurer
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned, but it worth considering, is that you can't really back up with a flat towed vehicle. That might complicate things depending on where you're planning on traveling. Cool idea though, try it!
If you get in a tight spot you can put the tow vehicle in neutral and slowly reverse the toad. Not the best plan but it can get you out of a tight spot. If worse comes to worse just unhook and drive on through. This is one of the great attributes of a toad with a large rig. You can easily unhook and scout a route before you commit.

driveby

exactly, we've had to unhook 1x in our current class A - gas station. :( but I really like the idea of scouting out the road ahead, especially curves or bridges. Get the wife to drive the Jeep ahead of me and we have the EarTec two way headphones (otherwise known as marriage savers :) ) so we can chat as we drive. btw those are awesome for mooring your boat or backing into a tight space. Even with hand signals a conversation can really reduce the stress. IE How's the tree branch on my left or where did that boulder/post go?? The person outside can easily spot you as required.

The only thing I haven't thought completely through is the tow attachment on the Rig side. Do I go with the traditional blue ox type or something custom. I'm concerned about weird torsional stress that a normal bus won't ever see.

wild1

Adventurer
exactly, we've had to unhook 1x in our current class A - gas station. :( but I really like the idea of scouting out the road ahead, especially curves or bridges. Get the wife to drive the Jeep ahead of me and we have the EarTec two way headphones (otherwise known as marriage savers :) ) so we can chat as we drive. btw those are awesome for mooring your boat or backing into a tight space. Even with hand signals a conversation can really reduce the stress. IE How's the tree branch on my left or where did that boulder/post go?? The person outside can easily spot you as required.

The only thing I haven't thought completely through is the tow attachment on the Rig side. Do I go with the traditional blue ox type or something custom. I'm concerned about weird torsional stress that a normal bus won't ever see.
Mine is s
Mine is a road master Falcon, they are made to pivot on all planes so you really have to work at it to bind it up. By then you should have unhooked already any way. I think the two things I would worry about on a really big rig is keeping the tow bar level from the hitch to the Toad and probably having a camera so you can see what’s going on back there.

Adventr.us

I'm a few years away from having to address this, but already thinking about it - so very much appreciate all the insight you've all shared. Thanks all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles