Jeep TJ frame rust. Is it worth replacing?

amo292

Adventurer
Hello all, I am new to the jeep section of the form and have a few questions for you guys. Im sure this this topic has been beaten to death before but I have a dilemma with a rusted frame on my fathers TJ. I know this is a common issue with the Tj's and we have kept an eye on it but today it popped up in an unexpected location. Going down a dirt road the entire crossmember holding the trans and transfer case dropped out. I crawled underneath and discovered that the holes where the plate should mount were much bigger than they were supposed to be. I was able to limp it home using only 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear and now she sits.
IMG_0966.jpgIMG_0965.jpgIMG_0964.jpg

The pictures don't really do the rust justice. There is actually quite a bit more than you can see.

My question is, is it worth it to fix? I did a full inspection and found that it is pretty much the entire rear half that will need work. The jeep its self is a 2000 4cyl wrangler with 51,000 easy miles. We are the original owners. This jeep hasn't been babied but it hasn't been abused. It just recently had 3k worth of exterior work put into it from a minor deer collision. This included a full repaint top to bottom and new fenders and flares. Everything else with the jeep is in good working order.

So what do you guys think? What is the best approach to take with this?

Thanks for your help in advance!

siebermd

Adventurer
Id fix it, you cant put her out to pasture just yet. If you have the time and resources, do a frame off restoration/repair of the affected areas. If you dont have the resources (shop), it would be a shame to loose the vehicle for what looks to be not too difficult of a repair.

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Whether it's worth it or not? Depends on a few variables...

1) Sentimental Value?

2) How cheap can you pick up a used frame in good condition?

3) Do you have the time and ability to do it yourself or will you be paying to have it done? A professional collision repair place would probably be pretty swift at doing it - but I would also expect that a lot of bolts will be seized up quite badly if the frame is rusted that bad. It may be a pain in the butt project that you might prefer to outsource.

4) Do you want to attack any other projects while you are at it? I bent the frame on my Jeep and broke a few body mounts in a hard landing with an accident in the dunes - and figured it was now or never on the Brute conversion. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114236-AEV-Brute-Expedition-Build-in-Dubai - maybe there's other things you want to get done while it's all apart... it's a great time to go nuts :)

Ultimately you need to just price out what it's going to take to get it done and that really depends on what's local to you and how you get your hands on the replacement frame. Then I would say compare that to the cost of a 6 cylinder TJ and decide if you would rather have that or if sentimentality keeps you tied to the old one.

Another option is to maybe find a donor six cylinder Jeep with a good chassis and drivetrain but a wrecked body - i.e. roll over or something - combine that engine and chassis with your Jeep's body and interior and you end up with a perfectly good jeep and a bunch of spares.

amo292

Adventurer
So I did some research and found.

1. Buy 4 C clamps to hold everything back up there and drive as is for now…. $25
2. Auto rust technicians of Rhode Island sells replacement weld on sections to fit directly for $850
3. Same people do everything for aprox $2000
4. A place up here sells used half frames for $500 and aprox $750 for labor……..$1250
5. Same place sells full used frames for $1200 and installs for aprox $1500 labor………$2700

Now I know how to weld but have no equipment. Are there places that rent welding equipment?

They have been selling in fair condition with high miles and rust at an average of $7500. If it were to have new or well repaired frame underneath it would be worth approximately $10k on the high end. Selling the jeep as she sits now would net maybe 2k at the high end. Parting out would make it worth up to 5k but thats just a pain.

Im just not sure if spending 20% of the jeeps value in repair is really worth it? Does that seem un reasonable to most?

Ideally I would love to have a little 4cyl diesel in it that we could fuel for free using my dads restaurant oil.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So I did some research and found.

1. Buy 4 C clamps to hold everything back up there and drive as is for now…. $25
2. Auto rust technicians of Rhode Island sells replacement weld on sections to fit directly for $850
3. Same people do everything for aprox $2000
4. A place up here sells used half frames for $500 and aprox $750 for labor……..$1250
5. Same place sells full used frames for $1200 and installs for aprox $1500 labor………$2700

Now I know how to weld but have no equipment. Are there places that rent welding equipment?

They have been selling in fair condition with high miles and rust at an average of $7500. If it were to have new or well repaired frame underneath it would be worth approximately $10k on the high end. Selling the jeep as she sits now would net maybe 2k at the high end. Parting out would make it worth up to 5k but thats just a pain.

Im just not sure if spending 20% of the jeeps value in repair is really worth it? Does that seem un reasonable to most?

Ideally I would love to have a little 4cyl diesel in it that we could fuel for free using my dads restaurant oil.

It doesn't matter if it's worth it to us, the question is does it make sense to you? As for welding, I'm sure there are a few local Jeepers who do work out of their garage and would be happy to help you out.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Hmm... 2K seems like a good investment to have it fixed well, $2700 even seems reasonable. Cheaper than a replacement and you can enjoy the body work you invested in.

amo292

Adventurer
I seek the input of others because when it comes to late model jeeps I am not as knowledgeable as some of you. Talk to me about Willys Wagon's and 2nd gen Tundras and I know almost everything there is to know!

Thanks for the input and I look forward to some others chiming in.

1stDeuce

Explorer
That sucks. TJ and YJ frames can fill with dirt and yuck (and salt...) and rust out just like that from the inside out. I rinse mine out every so often, and it's still more rusty in there than I'd like after 4 years in Michigan. (And I didn't even drive it much in the winter)

You might try the local dealer and see if you can buy a mopar frame. 10 years ago, they were $1500. There are lots of frames out here in the west, but shipping would be pricey, and IMO, if your frame is that bad, the body likely isn't far behind. :(

If I were you, I'd cheaply repair the rusted area by using 3 x 6 x 3/16" tubing, cut lengthwise to make two 3x3 c-sections. It'll be a little big for the 2.5" wide TJ frame, but I think it's as close as you'll get. (I don't think you'll find any 2.5 or 2.75" tubing... Weld in 1/2"-12 nuts for the skidplate from the back side, then cut as much of the rusty section out as you can and lay the c-section in and weld it. Then off that jeep fast. :)

And move out of the nasty sections of the country where they think it's OK to use road salt in the winter. Buy your next Jeep from out west and pay the $600 to ship it back east. Drill drain holes in the frame and rinse it out once in a while, and often in the winter!

amo292

Adventurer
Surprisingly enough the body is in excellent condition. It has almost no rust what so ever and was actually just repainted completely after a minor deer collision. I tried to find new frames from mopar but so far no luck. I think I'm going to end up going with a patch job even though it is pretty rough.

I wish it was as simple as moving out of the area but thats not going to happen. It would probably help if we didn't live so close to the ocean and have the jeep on the beach regularly…..

Brazos609

Observer
...They have been selling in fair condition with high miles and rust at an average of $7500. If it were to have new or well repaired frame underneath it would be worth approximately $10k on the high end...

A 2000 4-cylinder TJ with a rusty frame for $7500 or a really rusted frame that was repaired fro $10,000? Then what would an excellent condition 2005 6-cylinder/6-speed LJ with a clean dry original frame go for? $20,000?

amo292

Adventurer
Well It looks like Im going to have a buddy weld it up with some replacement sections from Auto Rust Technicians. But for now this is how she sits. That should hold right?
IMG_1033.jpg

Just like a bandaid on a broken femur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles