Jeep Tire/Wheel Help Needed

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I'm trying to help a friend decide on tire and wheel sizes, but I'm not familiar enough with the JKs to be of much help. She has a '08 2-door JK with a newly installed AEV 2.5" Dual Sport lift (good choice from what I can tell). The installer strongly recommended she dump the 18" sahara wheels for something smaller to get out of the expensive 18" tires. The intended use of the vehicle is light wheeling/weekend expo trips.

As I understand it, her Jeep came with 32s (255/70R18). She is considering 34s or 35s (probably 285 series tires), but those considerations such as fit within the wheel well, necessary wheel width, backspacing, gearing, etc. I've been trying to get up to speed on this topic to help advise her, but now feel like I'm running in circles.

How big of a tire can she fit without needing to regear and without turning the vehicle into a sled? Without rubbing? How big a tire will the Rubicon wheels accommodate? Without spacers? Will 16" wheels clear the brake calipers? Will a bigger tire work on the door spare tire mount? Any recommendations for not committing her to the unending cycle of upgrades (lift -> bigger tires -> regearing -> etc, etc.) or at least a moderate cycle? Anything else to be aware of?

Much thanks, Jeep friends!

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
It all depends. Bigger than she currently runs will require different wheels, or spacers to clear the sway bars, due to the factory offset. Too large and she'll need to trim the fenders. Removal of the airdam is a given. Front bumper clearance at full articulation may also be an issue, depending on tire size.

Weeds

Adventurer
I would just go to Discount Tire (it may be called something else in CA) They have a good selection of wheels and tires. The wheels in 17" are around $120 each. The problem with 16" is there is a smaller selection of tires and they are usually for pickups. If you buy wheels and tires at Discount you can get a year with no interest. They also run specials for $100 rebate for the wheels and the same for tires. I got $200 rebate when I bought mine.

They also sell 15" wheels that will clear the brake calipers.

Good luck in your search.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
16" wheels will clear the calipers most of the time. If she upgrades to better tie rod or drag link, they may require 17" wheels with less back spacing.
The AEV wheels are JK specific backspacing and 8.5" wide vs the standard 4.5" backspacing 9" wide aftermarket wheel. Less scrub radius, less wear on bearings, and the tires tuck under the fenders better. 33x12.50s would fit, 35s may fit. Due to the weak front end I wouldn't go with 35s unless she wants to spend a lot of money. I'd look at something closer to 33" tall with 10.5-11.5" wide.

The 3.8 is probably already under geared so performance is going to suffer either way. Smaller diameter and width, and especially weight will play in her favor.

OH9JK

Observer
255/75R17 is what comes on a Rubicon from the factory. You could go with 285/70R17 but larger than that expect rubbing and would need to use a spacer (ie: SpiderTrax adapter, not elcheapo PepBoys spacer).

A 16" wheel was an OEM option...these mostly came on the no frills, strip down Sport models. 15" wheels will also fit...that is what I run. Keeps tire cost nice and low. I also prefer the large tire / small wheel look....its not for everyone.

Bigger, heavier wheels and tires take a toll on the factory spare tire mount....more specifically the spot welds on the thin sheet metal tailgate.

Its almost a never ending battle once you start changing from stock configuration.

JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket

griffman

I am running the same lift on my 07 2 door. Currently i have 35 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers on a 17 inch rim. My wheels have 4.5 backspacing (I think) and i am still running 1.5 inch spacers that I needed when I had stock alloy wheels. My tires did not rub with stock fenders until about two months ago when I slid back into a sapling and loosed a fender. I love my set up and am going to get new control arms installed to correct the axle geometry shortly. The only down side to my tires is that they need to be powder balanced and they get a shimmy between 35-40 mph. I think this is more due to the wheels then anything else.

I am currently running my spare on the tailgate (saving up for a tire carrier) but I need to have a spacer back there with the stock wheel. I also needed to replace the third brake light to extend it past the tire. My advice on this is to either get one that bolts directly to the tailgate (as in behind the stock tire mount) or to get one that pokes through where the hub would be. I got one that goes between the tire and mount and it rattles to no end.

As far as gearing I still have the stock gears and my mpg is 14-15ish around town. I don't really do to much highway so i couldn't give you an accurate number on that.

Hope this helps

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
With a 2.5" lift you can run a 35" tire ask day long. I would stay with the stock wheel as you already have them and any money saved by buying tires for smaller diameter wheels will be negated but having to buy smaller diameter wheels.

mrchips

Adventurer
If it has stock 3.73 gearing(non Rubicon) going to 35's is going to rob power, I am sure that she as an automatic and the mini van motor, so be care full as to the size tire you choose

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
As it's been said she can run 35's with the 2.5" lift (she may need extended bump stops). 3"+ is the typical lift for 35's. Wheels should have a 4.5" backspacing. I went to 16's from 17's because I got a great deal on them. Now that it's time to replace my tires, I kind of wish I had kept the 17's. I'm finding the tire selection in 17" wheels to be much greater.

I have 4.10 gears on a stock 3.8L V6. I didn't notice a significant drop in power. The stock D30 is pretty damn good despite what some say, however she will wear out ball joints faster with bigger tires. This is true with all JK front ends. As a precaution, I did sleeve and gusset my D30 and that was years after heavy wheeling.

I have BFG KM2's. They have worked well for me, but I think I may be going to Treadright (whenever they make more 35's). I had Nitto TerraGrappler's before the BFG's. I liked them okay and they wore well, but they were heavy. The Terra's did great in the snow and rain, but sucked in the mud. The Trail Grappler is a nice alternative and would be my first pick in the Nitto line up. I've got several friends running Mud Grapplers. They do pretty good, but you can hear them coming a mile away.

Last edited:

gfe jeep

I dumped my 18" sahara wheels

Due to the cost of tires. Rehearing will be necessary with 35's. I used wheels with 4" backspacing to eliminate using spacers. Many go with 4.5" backspacing without spacers. Extended bump stops will be necessary too.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
An update:

She chose Duratracs in a size that is 34" and change matched with AEV wheels. She is very happy. Thank you all again for your help

Sent via fat thumb

I see falken tires is coming out with a new what looks like an agressive at or new MT Can't find any information on it just in the newest issue of JP magazine

Mudicon

Have trail...will travel
Mrchips is accurate on the gearing. The 35s will fit beautifully, but when I went to them on mine with only 3.73 gears, I was constantly shifting out of overdrive to pull any hill on the interstate. Trail driving was fine, but road was bad. In my Rubi with 4.10s 35s are no problem on trail or highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles