Jeep plunges 450 feet off Colorado mountainside

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That was Saturday Aug 17.

This was Monday, Aug 19, on the second day Black Bear was open:
5d5db508c608a.image.jpg

A quick video if you'd like some first hand commentary (Not by me, but wise words...)

Folks, the "trails" here in Colorado are NO JOKE. These trails are generally not hard or difficult from a traction perspective, but they have SERIOUS consequences for those not paying attention to what they are doing.
The TJ rolled off at a very flat spot, where the trail simply narrows from ~15' wide to about 10' wide as you drive down toward Telluride. The road narrows because of a slough on the left side, which make me wonder why they were on the left side anyway... The driver seems to have just driven off as the road narrowed. This could have been a medical issue, but it commonly happens because people are taking in the view, or simply NOT DRIVING when they should be.

The 4-runner guy did what several folks have done at the "stairs" on Black Bear... he simply drove the right side of the truck up the rock until he rolled. Too much focus on staying away from the "scary" drop on the left side. I've seen that over and over at this spot.

Here is an example of doing just that just a little further down the trail. This is what it looks like when you drive up the rocks and roll yourself over:

This guy was putting the driver's side up on the rocks to the left in an effort to stay away from the edge to the right. That edge poses very little danger if you're not over it... These guys were lucky they didn't do this just a bit farther down, where there's no stopping till you get to the bottom, 11 switchbacks down...

I caught my nephew coming dangerously close to doing this in my Jeep just a few days before while coming down from Porphyry Basin. There's a pretty narrow section that drops steeply hundreds of feet on the right side. He was rubbing the left tire sidewalls on a very rough rock face on the left side. Had one grabbed, rather than slipped as he rubbed by, we would very likely be DEAD. I quickly let him know to stay away from the rocks to the left, and explained why what he was doing was FAR more dangerous than driving in the tracks that were 1' closer to the edge...

PLEASE be careful if you come to Colorado!! Even just a moment of inattention can result in some very serious injuries, or even death on many trails here.

That's for letting me get this PSA out. Please return to planning your next trip!! :)
Rooftop tent didn’t help

shade

Drive or gaze; don't do both.

If someone is afraid of exposure, they shouldn't be driving on trails like Black Bear. I don't mind exposure, but I don't want to bash up my truck, so I don't take on true rock crawling tracks. Man's got to know his limitations.

If SAR incidents continue to increase on some high traffic trails, I expect to see some regulation occur. Local agencies are having a hard time keeping up.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Drive or gaze; don't do both.

If someone is afraid of exposure, they shouldn't be driving on trails like Black Bear. I don't mind exposure, but I don't want to bash up my truck, so I don't take on true rock crawling tracks. Man's got to know his limitations.

If SAR incidents continue to increase on some high traffic trails, I expect to see some regulation occur. Local agencies are having a hard time keeping up.
Black bear isn't really a rock crawling trail at all. There are many much harder technical rock crawling trails in CO. Black bear has a couple of technical spots to watch out for. The issue is, the trail is risky once you start downhill. Pay attention or suffer what might happen.

As far as regulation, the Sheriff down there is moving hard to close the whole trail down over stuff just like this. If the trend keeps going on, he'll have the ammo needed to pull it off.

shade

Black bear isn't really a rock crawling trail at all. There are many much harder technical rock crawling trails in CO. Black bear has a couple of technical spots to watch out for. The issue is, the trail is risky once you start downhill. Pay attention or suffer what might happen.

As far as regulation, the Sheriff down there is moving hard to close the whole trail down over stuff just like this. If the trend keeps going on, he'll have the ammo needed to pull it off.
I should've been more clear. I was using my reluctance to bash up my truck as a reason why I avoid rock gardens, similar to how someone afraid of exposure should avoid it.

I'd hate to see full closure, but a permitting system may have to be used to limit numbers.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I should've been more clear. I was using my reluctance to bash up my truck as a reason why I avoid rock gardens, similar to how someone afraid of exposure should avoid it.

I'd hate to see full closure, but a permitting system may have to be used to limit numbers.
Got it. Yep I agree. That trail like any other shelf trail is not for those afraid of heights.

I don't want to see the trail get closed, but that trail has a lot of exposure from multiple sources that make it a destination trail to go to from all over. It's a bucket list trail for sure. So that brings in many from out of state that lack experience in driving high mountain trails. Add the lack of experience with the awe-inspiring vistas and it's an easy way for some to get overwhelmed and make a mistake.

I'm not sure how to regulate it.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Got it. Yep I agree. That trail like any other shelf trail is not for those afraid of heights.

I don't want to see the trail get closed, but that trail has a lot of exposure from multiple sources that make it a destination trail to go to from all over. It's a bucket list trail for sure. So that brings in many from out of state that lack experience in driving high mountain trails. Add the lack of experience with the awe-inspiring vistas and it's an easy way for some to get overwhelmed and make a mistake.

I'm not sure how to regulate it.

You guys raise some pretty good questions about the problems faced in trying to solve misuse by regulating or even over-regulating that access or use.

Too dang often it seems like new use regulations and restrictions wind up getting written to hit at the lowest common denominator violators involved in causing the problems targeted, thus completely and irrevocably screwing things up for the “rest of us” who are NOT the ones causing those problems.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
It really comes down to being able to self regulate. People need to do the research on this trail (any trail really) and make sure the skills (and vehicle) they have match the trail. No ego, no BS, if you don't know what you are doing you don't need to be up there. For this trail specifically, the consequences are deadly if you make a wrong move at the wrong time. People have died on Black Bear. Plain and simple. The two in the videos posted earlier in this thread got really lucky having got out with only a wrecked ride.

Hopefully those that do search for info on Black Bear pass find threads like these to gain the information needed to make a wise decision on if they can do it or not. There are so many trails in the San Juan mountains that could be taken that don't have the risk for death like this one trail does. It's ok if you don't do it if you arent ready. Take on the others, gain some experience and take it on when you are ready.

roving1

The lack of focus that leads to drifting off the trail or climbing the wall I accept happens to some, although I don't really get it on a personal level. But what blows my mind is when it starts to happen the complete non-reaction these people have. No hauling in the clutch or braking, no steering input just deer in the headlights passively along for the ride nothingness as they tumble off into the abyss.

shade

The lack of focus that leads to drifting off the trail or climbing the wall I accept happens to some, although I don't really get it on a personal level. But what blows my mind is when it starts to happen the complete non-reaction these people have. No hauling in the clutch or braking, no steering input just deer in the headlights passively along for the ride nothingness as they tumble off into the abyss.
I doubt they realize the full import of what's happening, and their role in it. When people get into a stressful situation, they can become mentally overloaded, leading to strange decisions or full lock up. A lack of training or experience compounds the stress, with predictable results. It can happen to anyone, myself included.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Black bear is easy, people are stupid. Stupid hurts.
That's probably a bit simplistic, but it's not far off. We took a bone stock Liberty down Blackbear with no issues. I honestly think it could be done in a 2wd S10 blazer... BUT, if you don't have experience to know what you are doing, or you don't have or follow a spotter when you can't quite see what's going on, the consequences of a mistake are severe. Many pass roads here are like that. I think the road up to Crystal Mill has one of the higher accident rates, and I think you could get a Subaru up it. It's all about the consequences.

I doubt they realize the full import of what's happening, and their role in it. When people get into a stressful situation, they can become mentally overloaded, leading to strange decisions or full lock up. A lack of training or experience compounds the stress, with predictable results. It can happen to anyone, myself included.
Lack of trail experience has been a problem for a while now, IMO... Used to be you bought an older rig, learned to drive it bone stock, then added lift, tires, lockers, etc and as your rig's capability improved, so did your skill as a driver. I learned to wheel in an bone stock '78 Chevy with open diffs and a six cylinder. It went AMAZING places once I learned how to drive it. I learned a LOT from that truck, like how to pick a good line for the vehicle, how much throttle was just enough, and exactly where the tires were at all times.

Now, it seems common that someone goes out and buys a lifted locked Jeep or Toyota and bolts on all the "offroady" bells and whistles and assumes that because the rig is capable, they're good to go. Nobody is learning to actually drive offroad anymore. Because of this they have no experience to pick a line, or know when they're near a limit, and no reactive skills at all, as they're completley overwhelmed with the fact that the vehicle is tilted past what they experience on their normal commute to work...

Black Bear will be a problem till it gets closed, or they take heavy equipment to the stairway section and add guardrails to every switchback to keep people who have no business on that trail from hurting themselves or others. I know of no "gatekeeper" method that prevents people with too little experience from hitting that trail...

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'm pretty sure the self-regulating society is where the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus live :ROFLMAO:

I'm being overly optimistic in that idea for sure. It sure sounds good in theory though...

That's probably a bit simplistic, but it's not far off. We took a bone stock Liberty down Blackbear with no issues. I honestly think it could be done in a 2wd S10 blazer... BUT, if you don't have experience to know what you are doing, or you don't have or follow a spotter when you can't quite see what's going on, the consequences of a mistake are severe. Many pass roads here are like that. I think the road up to Crystal Mill has one of the higher accident rates, and I think you could get a Subaru up it. It's all about the consequences.

Lack of trail experience has been a problem for a while now, IMO... Used to be you bought an older rig, learned to drive it bone stock, then added lift, tires, lockers, etc and as your rig's capability improved, so did your skill as a driver. I learned to wheel in an bone stock '78 Chevy with open diffs and a six cylinder. It went AMAZING places once I learned how to drive it. I learned a LOT from that truck, like how to pick a good line for the vehicle, how much throttle was just enough, and exactly where the tires were at all times.

Now, it seems common that someone goes out and buys a lifted locked Jeep or Toyota and bolts on all the "offroady" bells and whistles and assumes that because the rig is capable, they're good to go. Nobody is learning to actually drive offroad anymore. Because of this they have no experience to pick a line, or know when they're near a limit, and no reactive skills at all, as they're completley overwhelmed with the fact that the vehicle is tilted past what they experience on their normal commute to work...

Black Bear will be a problem till it gets closed, or they take heavy equipment to the stairway section and add guardrails to every switchback to keep people who have no business on that trail from hurting themselves or others. I know of no "gatekeeper" method that prevents people with too little experience from hitting that trail...

I totally agree that it really comes down to practical experience. Being able to buy such off-road capable stuff right off the showroom floor has many getting into this hobby without the learning from the school of hard knocks that many of us came from. My first ride was similar to yours except mine had a worn out 350 vs your 6. Now I'm not trying to sound like people without off road experience can't buy a Rubicon, TRDpro Toyota, Power Wagon, ZR2 or other extremely capable stock rigs. I think they need to spend some time getting to know how they operate on lesser trails where the consequences aren't as severe as Black Bear.

roving1

I absolutely cringe every time I see a JKU or a double cab Tacoma crashing over obstacles smacking the sliders on every rock possible. Some of these guys have absolutely no idea how to pick a line or when to use throttle and momentum and when to just putz over something while driving vehicles that have pretty sucky wheelbases to be doing the obstacles they are doing in the first place. Then half the time one these yutzes are standing spotting EXACTLY where I want to go and I have to explain to them that A.- I need them to move and B.- I don't need their "spotting" for this obstacle and to kindly go away lol. I too learned on rigs of limited modification and I learned so much. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that anymore when people seem to treat rock slider hits like bonus points on their insta-built first rigs.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Seven-time veteran of Black Bear …. never drove it once. First pic below, that's me in the big hat, right front row in 2012, where the Jeepers behind us caught up later and asked if we could exchange email photos I took of them for ones they took of us. Still poor and relegated to my 3" ground clearance daily driver hatchback that I am, I hire my pals at Switzerland of America to drive me over the passes. These days, they only do Black Bear in their Jeeps, no Dodge trucks anymore. 2nd pic is my own from 2016 in the area where (if I remember right) one of their late long-time drivers' ashes were scattered. Trust me on this, their veteran drivers make the rides look really easy, and they also don't exactly have kind words for rank amateurs who display little common sense. If gawking at scenery is your game like it is mine, the is the only way to do the BB/Imogene tour. If you have skill but are still open to seeing how seasoned pros do it before your first run at it, snag a driver's side seat on the tour. You will not regret the experience either way. I'm an addict of this way of tough trail riding in the San Juans, 3 weeks back was my 17th year in a row of taking SOA's tours.
BB-I2.jpg
Ingram summit above 2016.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior