Jeep Patriot Extreme???

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
*YES I ALREADY SEARCHED :D *

So I know that Scott got to put a first-run Patriot through it's paces and was suprised to hear how well it did even lacking a low-range box. However I was just perusing through one of the millions of truck mags we have in my *ahem* reading room, and I came across a run down of all the Mopar Skunkworks Trucks that they had on hand @ easter Jeep Safari: The Nukaizer :droo: , Immortal :drool: , Trail Boss, Ram-Runner, and a JK Unlimited Rubi/Camp-trailer combo (pretty cool being a factory built option that sounds right up this places alley for sure) But the one that really intreagued me was:

The Patriot Extreme:

Didn't excatly say if it had a full-on 4wd System with low Range, but it had some Mini-BFG KM2's(225/75 R16 - Didin't know they made them this small... cool) and armor plus some added cround clearence making it look like a pretty fun little rig and certainly a really fun truck to rip around on Fire-roads or the odd rally course ;)

SO anyone know anymore about this little beauty???

Cheers

Dave

troy

Adventurer
I read online that it uses the 16" MOAB wheels, which I presume are from a TJ. It also has a rocky road outfitters 2" lift (spacers?). Rock rails and a couple skids.

I saw no mention of a low-range t-case, but take a listen to some of the videos on youtube under "Jeep patriot extreme", and I think it is pretty safe to say it does not have low range by the sound of the engine. i could be wrong.

Sounds like a pretty easy to duplicate project.

Scott Brady

Founder
I drove it in Moab and enjoyed it. The Patriot can be appreciated if you understand what it is intended to do.

Here are a few images I took along the way.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Patriot_ (1).jpg
    Patriot_ (1).jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 721
  • Patriot_ (2).jpg
    Patriot_ (2).jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Patriot_ (3).jpg
    Patriot_ (3).jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 212

jingram

Adventurer
Dave,

I too was just doing the same thing, lol! Like Scott said, cool little rigs if you understand their limitations. I was just looking at one as a DD because of the decent gas mileage and the capability. However, I decided to back off from it for a few reasons.

Biggest gripe owners have is the ball joints. Lots of cases on the Patriot boards about street driven vehicles with 20,30,40k miles. I guess the ball joints are integrated into the lower control arms from what I have gathered and Jeep is charging $800-$1K a pop to get these replaced if out of warranty. A LOT of people are really pissed about it. Funny as I thought the JK was the only one were people were screaming bloody murder about terrible OE ball joints. Moog finally just came out with a replacement set for the Patriot, but on street driven vehicles with IFS this should NOT be an issue with 30k-40k on the clock.

Another big complaint is severe leaking through the sunroof and maybe rack?

Finally, as I specced one out... the only way to get FD II which is their "trail rated" more offroad oriented package was to spec it with a CVT. More of a manual guy myself, regardless of the well known benefits of a slush box.

Cheers!
Jack

bsautry

These are great little vehicles. My wife has one as a DD and we absolutley love it. I know of two that did the Jeep Jamboree in Crandon WI. They both did the "Fox" trail (rated 2-4) and performed as good as their bigger brothers, the Grand Cherokees. Both did have 4wd with low gear. With a small lift, 2" and some armor they do make a great alternative for overlanding.

My wife is refusing my attempts to modifiy it. She wants me to work on the JK.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Cool stuff. It sure looked like a fun little rig. Glad so see that Jeep is building fun vehicles in several different segments. Looking @ your review of the regular version though Scott, one gets the feeling this little bugger could do alot more and really be one hell of a "sleeper" to boot eh. I'm not saying it could replace the JK Rubi. but I get the impression it can do alot more then some would expect eh ;)

CHeers

DAve

Xodius

Adventurer
By any chance do you know what the backspacing is on those rims? Are they like the older TJs 16x8 with 4.5 BS?

tommudd

Explorer
From everything I was able to read yes those are the "now older style" Rubicon Moabs
16X8 with 5 inches of backspacing

El_Diablo

we've been doing patriot ball joints with as little as 10-15k miles, just did one this morning actually and did one with 20k miles last week, both sides actually

i would never buy one....

Scoob

Why do the ball joints suck?? What actually happens to them?

They must get loose I'm sure. I see it alot on Chrysler products, not just the Patriot. Have had 3 2010 Grand Caravans come in with under 10,000 miles on them and the ball joints practically falling out.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Liberty ball joints have also been known to fail prematurely. My wife's have been upgraded to aftermarket upper A-arms with Moog ball joints and New Moog lower ball joints and get greased every oil change. Wonder who Chrysler is farming the ball joints out to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94