Jeep paint

ADVNOMAD

Starting to look for our next and possibly last Jeep as we’re nearing retirement. Think of a rugged but reliable xj build.
Most xj’s for sale need the paint refreshed and that’s my question.
I know that a paint change is costly due to the work involved with door frames and such. But what about a “minor” color change?

Let’s say a slightly darker blue, or slight orange tint to a red. Maybe a solid grey to a silver? Could one get away with this type of paint job without the overall door frame paint prep and labor?

PhulesAU

Explorer
If you plan to paint the whole thing, there ain't no charge for different colors. If you want fancy metal flake or some super customized mystery color then it will be more.

ADVNOMAD

Nothing fancy only solid
Just wondering if I could get away without the extra labor cost of doing all the door frames. Seems that would be a significant labor savings

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Re-shoot the same color. Live with the minor difference if you can even see it. They all look the same covered in dust and mud.

Places like Maco will do it for a few hundred bucks, but I've never seen them do a good job, ever. Better to spend a bit more and do much of the removal/prep yourself if you have to save some cash.

DailyJeep

Adventurer
I don't know exactly what you're looking at but are you sure it really warrants a re-spray?

I ask as I just spent about 10 hours working on my latest XJ's paint. It's not quite to the level where I want it to be but I'm getting there. Next up is to bring all trim and rubber back to life as much as possible, and then re-clear some of the painted plastics, mainly the flares. Now if this vehicle had clear issues throughout the metal surfaces, a re-spray would be happening. I will say the bonus of staying a stock color is junkyard parts will largely match. I already replaced a cracked headlight bezel for $35 (an unpainted one is $16ish) and plan on replacing the hood on this vehicle as local junkyard likely has viable Patriot blue replacement, just need to lay my eyes on it first.

I already owned a Porter Cable DA, total supply cost for the project is slightly under $90.

What I started with: oxidized, water spots galore, micro-mars out the wazoo.

42742098754_f5133d26ff_c.jpg

What I really started with after washing, IronX, and claying with NanoSkin.

42742101464_3a989fcf9a_c.jpg

Far from perfect but clarity restored and I likely removed 75% of defects that weren't already through the clear. 2 stage correction on most of the vehicle. None of the glaze nonsense, just compound and polish.

41650529300_152d65449f_c.jpg

And pretty much the finished product with a carnauba wax applied by hand.

41650528090_6969535e91_c.jpg

Last edited:

ADVNOMAD

Very nice blue which is one of our favorites. Your right though, the right Jeep may only require a good buffing/wax job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles