Jeep Livin Lite Extreme Trailer EXPO upgrades

TomP

Observer
Hey if you make to the Reno area drop me a note I'll buy you lunch and you can show off your rig

ratled
Rats! I was just there last week. This was on the way back to Vegas. If you head south before I go back north you do the same.

Trailin’ 55

The trailer has no stabilizers, they could be added but I have never felt the need for them. I thought it would be nice to have a parking brake but have never needed that either. I carry plastic wheel chocks for both sides, the bed sits on the legs on the outside and feels very stable. It is not something that gets walked around in much. It is very solid if hooked to the Jeep when parked. I run the air pressure in the tires way down when on the trail and that doesn't hurt the parked stability.

The hub adapters and Jeep wheels came with it so I not sure about the manufactures name or model.

The frame is six inches tall and the aluminum floor is installed over that. You may have about 6 inches between the floor and the skid plate. If I remember right the space would be broken into two compartments as there is a center frame cross member.

Good luck with it! Let me know how you do with your modifications.

Well we picked up our Rock Climber and put about 4000 miles on it! It’s a great little camper and is actually roomier than we anticipated. The one glitch is the spare tire situation. The bolt pattern from the factory is 5x4.5. The JK wheel pattern is 5x5. I’d really like to carry only one spare for the Jeep and trailer. I just picked up new 5x5 drums from Dexter. This will require 2 new 5x5 wheels for the trailer. Also the JK wheels won’t work due to different backspacing so now I am faced with another dilemma. Maybe a spacer if the spare is used??? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TomP

Observer
My trailer uses a spacer and the 17" Jeep wheels so it can be done. I would call Liv'n Lite and they should be able to give you the part numbers that they used. I agree that carrying the one spare is the way to go which is one of the reasons why I changed the wheels on my Jeep. But with your new drums a straight 5x5 spacer should do the trick and allow you to run Jeep wheels. I found 5 almost new take off wheels for less than $100.00. While in Reno I purchased matching 33" tires for the trailer as the original 35" tires had aged out. So all seven tires now match. Off road I run about 10 psi in the trailer and I think in a pinch it could be towed with a flat tire. With your new drums a straight 5x5 spacer should do the trick and allow you to run Jeep wheels. I found 5 almost new take off wheels for less than $100.00.

Last edited:

Trailin’ 55

My trailer uses a spacer and the 17" Jeep wheels so it can be done. I would call Liv'n Lite and they should be able to give you the part numbers that they used. I agree that carrying the one spare is the way to go which is one of the reasons why I changed the wheels on my Jeep. But with your new drums a straight 5x5 spacer should do the trick and allow you to run Jeep wheels. I found 5 almost new take off wheels for less than $100.00. While in Reno I purchased matching 33" tires for the trailer as the original 35" tires had aged out. So all seven tires now match. Off road I run about 10 psi in the trailer and I think in a pinch it could be towed with a flat tire. With your new drums a straight 5x5 spacer should do the trick and allow you to run Jeep wheels. I found 5 almost new take off wheels for less than $100.00.
I don’t know why this was so hard. Once I figured out I needed the spacer I returned the hubs and just bought 1 1/4” spacer adapter to 5x5. New 5x5 wheels and ready to go.

TomP

Observer
I really enjoy the new areas that this camping trailer has allow me to explore. This is a trip into the mountains of central Nevada. Just a man and his dog.

IMG_2092.JPGIMG_2097.JPGIMG_2098.JPGIMG_2102.JPG

bluejeep

just a guy
your jeep doesn't seem to have any sag in the back with the trailer connected. Can I ask if you have any 'help' to keep that level, like air bags, heavy duty springs, ?

TomP

Observer
I have replaced
your jeep doesn't seem to have any sag in the back with the trailer connected. Can I ask if you have any 'help' to keep that level, like air bags, heavy duty springs, ?
I have replaced the springs on the Jeep with Old Man Emu heavy load springs. They have handled the load of the rear bumper add on's and the trailer very well.

TomP

Observer
Nemo has been a part of this build from the beginning because it was impossible to carry camping gear and a 180 pound Newfoundland in the back of my Jeep. A big part of having the trailer was to provide a warm and dry sleeping area off the ground for the both of us. It is with a sad and heavy heart that I must report that Nemo has passed on. He was a wonderful dog and we traveled the United States for 8 1/2 years together. I am missing him greatly.

Wilsonian

Tom, sorry to hear about your dog. I've watched this thread for a couple of years now. I bought a 6.0 about a year ago and have been doing modifications to it. I like coming back and referring to your thread for inspiration. I think I'm going to take a stab at the gas struts. It's getting pretty heavy at this point. Any advice? I have the regular 6.0, not the Jeep version. Though I have lifted it and made a few modifications.
Jeep and Trailer.jpg

Trailin’ 55

Tom, sorry to hear about your dog. I've watched this thread for a couple of years now. I bought a 6.0 about a year ago and have been doing modifications to it. I like coming back and referring to your thread for inspiration. I think I'm going to take a stab at the gas struts. It's getting pretty heavy at this point. Any advice? I have the regular 6.0, not the Jeep version. Though I have lifted it and made a few modifications.
View attachment 565348
Hey Wilsonian, made any progress on the struts? We have a trailer similar to TomP and liked his strut idea but really don’t want to go through the piano hinge replacement. Manufacturers and suppliers have not been very helpful in being able to size the correct strut so that it supplies adequate assist without damaging hinge.

Trailin’ 55

Hey Tom, glad to see you have a new Jeep buddy! We made it out to do some more of the OBDR in August. Fun trip! As you can see we stole your idea for mounting water jugs on the back of the trailer. FD43A52C-479B-4D33-9600-1477AF33E5DF.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz