Jeep Livin Lite Extreme Trailer EXPO upgrades

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
How much did you use the heater? Just to goto bed and get up and change, or all night? How long would your propany supply last using it?

TomP

Observer
How much did you use the heater? Just to goto bed and get up and change, or all night? How long would your propany supply last using it?

On the Mojave Road trip I used the heater throughout the night. The temperature outside both nights was around 20 degrees. After I modified the thermostat the heater activates at about 32 degrees and shuts down about forty at its lowest setting. This is a comfortable temperature for me. I run it up before I get up in the morning. It would be an estimate but I would say in conditions like this last trip I believe it would last two weeks with some reserve. I have used many American RV furnaces over the years and I am amazed at how efficient this heater is. If you try to hold your hand near the exhaust of a RV furnace it will burn you so much heat is being pumped overboard. The Propex exhaust is just warm.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I enjoyed the build info. Seth and I shared your "campfire" until he got sick and we headed home from OX15. Your trailer is great.

TomP

Observer
I enjoyed the build info. Seth and I shared your "campfire" until he got sick and we headed home from OX15. Your trailer is great.

Hi Don! It's great to hear from you and I hope that Seth is much improved. That was a rough time to get sick! We all missed you both after you had to leave. I hope to see you this year and now I can read about your awesome trailer!

Junkyardrules

Thank you for sharing your build! I've been looking for one of these for awhile and they are tough to find. When the time comes for you to sell the trailer PLEASE keep me in mind!

TomP

Observer
Over the last few trips with my trailer I discovered that in the high-tech camping world I need to make some improvements to my 12 volt power system. The trailer has one 12 volt power plug in the panel below the couch. When my dog travels with me, which is almost all the time, he renders this outlet unusable much of the time because he sleeps with his back against the panel which blocks access to the power port. I have been charging my tablet and phone many nights by plugging them into the Jeep power ports. This not ideal as it could drain the Jeep's starting battery and should cellular service be available at the campsite it makes it impossible to use the phone quickly in an emergency. Also after several nights of running lights and the heater I was wishing for a way to monitor the battery voltage.

It had been over a year since I had removed the small cabinet and checked up on the battery. It seemed a good time to do a little improvement while it was out. The battery appears to be ridding fine with no movement or corrosion of the terminals. This is the voltmeter and power supply ports I installed in the cabinet. There wasn't room to install them with the face plate.

jtr120.JPGjtr122.JPG

jtr118.JPG

The trailer had not been used in about five months ( I know that's bad) and the battery was at about a 50% charge level. Because the 12 volt system is controlled with a battery shutoff switch which leaves only the vehicle charge line connected to the battery. I decided the best way to attach my trickle charger to the trailer would be to use a vehicle trailer socket and wire a charger pigtail to it. Now I can charge the trailer battery without opening the top to activate the 12 volt system by plugging the trailer light cord into the adapter and the adapter into the charger.

jtr117.JPG

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Hi Tom:

I like the meter you used. Where did you get it if you do not mind me asking?

Did you make it out to OX16 this year? We did not. I retired and Seth is house shopping so we stayed at home for the first time in 6 years.

See ya!

wvtradbow

Observer
Awesome build but I gotta ask,what is that grill grate over the fire pit on the first page,never saw one like it???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior