Jeep Liberty pickup

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Body panel work time!

Took the front end apart to see how much damage was done by the previous owner that a wood bumper was required.

[IMG]

Very surprised by how easy Jeep Liberty is to take apart, torx 20 and a 10mm was all I needed to take off both fenders, grill and headlight assembly, or what was left of it in my case.

[IMG]

This is what the front end is supposed to look like under the fender.

[IMG]

This is what my front end looks like.

[IMG]

Another angle of what it is supposed to look like.

[IMG]

And once again what mine looks like.

[IMG]

Fender, fender flare, grill and OEM 02 Liberty sport bumper are on and actually fit pretty good.

[IMG]

Most of the body panels are heading to paint this week for a couple coats of that magical John Deere green.

[IMG]

Here is a view of the tire clearance after folding in the front pinch weld.

[IMG]

I was half torn between an OEM Liberty or a stock Wrangler JK bumper, there was something that just did not look or feel right about the JK bumper so I bolted up a 2002 Liberty bumper, I like it, it keeps that Liberty bubbly cuteness.

[IMG]

I did not snap on the fender flares, broke most of the clips taking them off and replacement eBay clips have not arrived yet.

[IMG]

Rear wheelwells were trimmed and folded also to fix the minimal rub I had. Oh yeah I also fixed the front passenger window regulator, it now works as it should (it was cheaper and quicker to replace the entire door!)

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Pinch weld folding front and rear.

Since my 33" tires are really closer to 34" tall they rub just slightly front and rear under full compression. I need approximately 1" of extra clearance.

l4sKDk9.jpg

Front pinch weld cut with angle grinder and gently folded with a 3# sledge hammer. This sheet metal is so thin that I didn't actually have to make the cuts with the grinder and could have just whacked it a few extra times to get the same effect.

Step by step tutorial how to fold or trim the front pinch weld for extra tire clearance.

U0pMv3l.jpg

Don't mind the New England rust. Here is the the pinch weld before I folded it.

iMMLrt6.jpg

Rear Drivers side pinch weld folded.

3tDCtCI.jpg

Side view, approximately 1" clearance gained. Exactly what I needed to prevent rubbing.

8fewZYh.jpg

Fender flare that's attached to the door had to be trimmed a little also.

MVBeCFW.jpg

Fender flare is trimmed.

G1GC3jw.jpg

Trimming 1" does not seem like much but it completely elliminated all my front and rear tire rub.

ik7cmJQ.jpg

And this is what it looks like with the tire on.

al_burpe

Observer
Body panel work time!

Took the front end apart to see how much damage was done by the previous owner that a wood bumper was required.

[IMG]

Very surprised by how easy Jeep Liberty is to take apart, torx 20 and a 10mm was all I needed to take off both fenders, grill and headlight assembly, or what was left of it in my case.

[IMG]

This is what the front end is supposed to look like under the fender.

[IMG]

This is what my front end looks like.

[IMG]

Another angle of what it is supposed to look like.

[IMG]

And once again what mine looks like.

[IMG]

Fender, fender flare, grill and OEM 02 Liberty sport bumper are on and actually fit pretty good.

[IMG]

Most of the body panels are heading to paint this week for a couple coats of that magical John Deere green.

[IMG]

Here is a view of the tire clearance after folding in the front pinch weld.

[IMG]

I was half torn between an OEM Liberty or a stock Wrangler JK bumper, there was something that just did not look or feel right about the JK bumper so I bolted up a 2002 Liberty bumper, I like it, it keeps that Liberty bubbly cuteness.

[IMG]

I did not snap on the fender flares, broke most of the clips taking them off and replacement eBay clips have not arrived yet.

[IMG]

Rear wheelwells were trimmed and folded also to fix the minimal rub I had. Oh yeah I also fixed the front passenger window regulator, it now works as it should (it was cheaper and quicker to replace the entire door!)

Looks good. It is really starting to match your multicolor Suburban.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Looks good. It is really starting to match your multicolor Suburban.

al_burpe,

Haha, yo are right, both look ghetto. Hopefully at least the Jeep will be one solid color all the way around because it actually fits in my garage unlike the Suburban.

97AzFK3.jpg

Here are the two beauties side by side.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Leave it to drei to come up with som CRAZY contraptions! The ole burb is still kickin hey?

autism family travels,

Believe it or not but the ole Burb IS still kicking, still my daily driver, still my weekend adventurer. The only thing I have left to finish is painting the rear quarter panels black when it warms up to match the body and might put new seat cover on drivers seat.

I really thought that i would do more to it, but it's too perfect just the way it is. I get 400-500 miles on a single tank of gas, can go anywhere I have ever wanted and for some odd reason it has not died or broken to a point where I could not fix it on the trail or drive it home.

I kinda turned it into a yard truck to help me get stuff done around the yard like moving 2,000-3,000# boulders or falling 80ft tall pine trees, it just doesn't fit everywhere on my back yard trail so the Jeep is replacing it.

Once this one is done I want to make a 6x6 Liberty pickup, already looking for parts/donor trucks right now.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Installation of a rear Lincoln locker.

This is the least expensive initial cost locker. Lincoln locker comes from the Lincoln Electric welders used to weld the spider gears inside the carrier together in turn making the carrier a full spool or a permanent locker.

5k786nZ.jpg

My stock Chrysler 8.25" rear end. No wonder this Liberty got stuck every single time I drove it, it is not worthy of the Trail Rated Badge!

3InvumP.jpg

It ain't pretty but the rear diff is welded. Used a 110V stick welder and got some decent penetration.

Step one: unbolt differential cover and drain the oil.

Step two: clean carrier with brake parts cleaner, and burn off excess oil with propane torch

Step three: weld side gears to spider gears, then side gears to case and spider gears to case

Step four: clean out slag, install differential cover, top off with gear oil

Most people recommend a 220V welder, I only have 110V welders. Most people use a wire feed MIG welder, I don't like the splatter mine produces and the penetration is not that great. I used a 110V Klutch ST80i stick welder.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Got stuck again today but doing things that a stock Liberty would not even come close to.

Comparison of Liberty in 22" of fresh snow on HT stock tires in first video and then again with 33" tractor tires, 2.5" lift and locked rear diff.

Stock tires, no lift, no lockers but a Trail Rated sticker.

Couple upgrades but still gets stuck. Enjoy!

autism family travels

autism family travels,

Believe it or not but the ole Burb IS still kicking, still my daily driver, still my weekend adventurer. The only thing I have left to finish is painting the rear quarter panels black when it warms up to match the body and might put new seat cover on drivers seat.

I really thought that i would do more to it, but it's too perfect just the way it is. I get 400-500 miles on a single tank of gas, can go anywhere I have ever wanted and for some odd reason it has not died or broken to a point where I could not fix it on the trail or drive it home.

I kinda turned it into a yard truck to help me get stuff done around the yard like moving 2,000-3,000# boulders or falling 80ft tall pine trees, it just doesn't fit everywhere on my back yard trail so the Jeep is replacing it.

Once this one is done I want to make a 6x6 Liberty pickup, already looking for parts/donor trucks right now.

Deadly!!!!

I miss my suburban z71 too. I used it as a plow rig for my driveway, now the JK does it but the plow sucks. Cheap dK2 version. Ok for 2 car driveways, not ok for 700ft plus with heavy snow. I need another burb!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94