Jeep Liberty pickup

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I am building this pickup on the KJ Forum however they are having a very difficult time accepting the fact that I am turning a Liberty into a fully functional pickup. I had axtremely good feedback building my Suburban here on ExPo and here we go with the Jeep!

I finally got my first Jeep and it's a Liberty.

DsmRnTG.jpg

Always wanted one and finally found the perfect one. 2004 Liberty, 4x4, automatic transmission and the coolest bumper I have ever seen. I think the craiglsist ad read something along the lines of: Liberty, runs and drives, 4x4 works great, daily driver 411,000 commuting miles, some rust, couple scratches on front fender and custom bumper. Clear title, 2 owner vehicle.

P5owmVJ.jpg

I was so sold on the custom 2x8 front bumper. The price was right, so I pulled the trigger and handed over the cash!

CEMwyWk.jpg

I can now build my dream Jeep Liberty pickup and keep it low budget: under $1,000 for EVERYTHING including the Liberty itself.

MY PLAN:
  • Gut the interior from the B-pillar back
  • Reduce weight by 500-1,000 lbs
  • Cut off the roof along the bottom of window line all the way to the tailgate
  • 2" lift/level kit
  • Make a "pickup" bed from B-pillar back
  • 31" or 33" tractor tires
  • Find or make a real front bumper
  • Weld rear doors to the rear quarter panel
  • Lincoln locker in rear
  • John Deere green/yellow paint
  • Possibly lunchbox locker up front
  • Possibly 5.13 gears
Wish me luck, chime in with any feedback and most important of all: enjoy the build and shenanigans!

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Awesome project. KJ’s look pretty cool as a pickup. Should ride fairly well with the IFS as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Here’s some inspiration for you. I saw this in 2012 and snapped a few pics. Thoight it was cool and well done

Vinman,

YES!!! I saw that one too and really like it. The only thing I would change about that one is how much of the bed he boxed in, I want to keep the edge of the fenders over the wheel wells as usabale space.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Here are a couple pictures from the Jeep that inspired the idea of my build.

It was a pain in the butt to find them on photobucket, but here are a couple that are not watermarked and free for everyone to share.

Chh5iDD.jpg

WYNfZG7.jpg

iziF4Mj.jpg

I will be removing the spare tire and spare tire carrier both to save weight as well as to decrease the swing weight of the tailgate.

A2NNbEz.jpg

This Liberty has the bed completely boxed in between the wheel wells. It looks really clean however it takes away from a lot of usable volume that is over the passenger side wheel well.

Integration of the back glass into the back of cab is a really good design that I will probably use also.

Vinman

Observer
Here are a couple pictures from the Jeep that inspired the idea of my build.

It was a pain in the butt to find them on photobucket, but here are a couple that are not watermarked and free for everyone to share.

Chh5iDD.jpg

WYNfZG7.jpg

iziF4Mj.jpg

I will be removing the spare tire and spare tire carrier both to save weight as well as to decrease the swing weight of the tailgate.

A2NNbEz.jpg

This Liberty has the bed completely boxed in between the wheel wells. It looks really clean however it takes away from a lot of usable volume that is over the passenger side wheel well.

Integration of the back glass into the back of cab is a really good design that I will probably use also.

Funny you found un-marked pics. I originally posted those on Jeep Forum then tried to copy them here but couldn’t. And I actually took the pictures myself. The guy definitely did an outstanding job on that one.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Funny you found un-marked pics. I originally posted those on Jeep Forum then tried to copy them here but couldn’t. And I actually took the pictures myself. The guy definitely did an outstanding job on that one.

Vinman,

I found them on LostJeep forum, and it was a serious pain in the butt to go through all the photobucket backdoors to get these so I could post them, it was not easy. But now anyone including you can save them and re-post as much as they want.

Back to this green little gem, where in the world did you find it? And do you know anything about the owner other than he owned a body shop? The workmanship in this one is excellent and I don't think i will be able to come anywhere close to it with what I have to work with and no budget whats so ever.

Vinman

Observer
Vinman,

I found them on LostJeep forum, and it was a serious pain in the butt to go through all the photobucket backdoors to get these so I could post them, it was not easy. But now anyone including you can save them and re-post as much as they want.

Back to this green little gem, where in the world did you find it? And do you know anything about the owner other than he owned a body shop? The workmanship in this one is excellent and I don't think i will be able to come anywhere close to it with what I have to work with and no budget whats so ever.
That one is in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada. Not joking when I say PEI is the collision repair capitol of North America. Everybody and their brother repairs totaled vehicles. The last time I was out there one of my brothers had 5 running vehicles and every one has a rebuilt status. Out of my 4 brothers every one of them has owned collision repair shops at one point in their life and made a career out of repairing totalled vehicles.
I also saw a late model Dodge Challenger with nose cone and rear wing from a ‘70ish Dodge Daytona, that one was also masterly done, sadly I didn’t get pictures.

While I don’t know much about that green KJ, I’d put money on that being repaired after a roll-over hence the roof being cut off.
Good luck with your build and I can’t wait to see the progress.
edit: thanks for posting those pics, I saved them again.

Last edited:

Heading Out

Adventurer
I like it, Open up more bed space and put the spare in the bed, behind the drivers seat.
Ditch all the bright bright plate, and enjoy.

years ago a VW shop where I lived had a type 3 square back chopped into a pick up.
That looked good too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94