Jeep Launches Wrangler-Inspired Off-Road Camper Trailers

sprale

Observer
http://blog.caranddriver.com/jeep-l...Feed:+caranddriver/blog+(Car+and+Driver+Blog)

Jeep-Camper-Trailer-1-440x268.jpg

So you want to drive your Jeep across the nation’s most treacherous trails and still have a comfortable place to sleep at night? If you can’t afford a $120K EarthRoamer, Jeep’s new camper trailers might be just what you’re looking for.
The campers are styled after the Wrangler and Jeep says they are specifically designed to handle rough off-road terrain, so they can be towed behind your Jeep as you explore the great outdoors. According to Jeep, Trail Edition camper is aimed at the “casual camper.” It comes with 17-inch Rubicon wheels with 32-inch tires, a torsion-bar and trailing-arm suspension that combines for 12 inches of ground clearance. The exterior has diamond-plated aluminum panels for protection, while tubular-aluminum internal components keep weight down to about 850 pounds.
Fully unfolded, the Trail Edition can sleep up to four people with its queen-sized bed and couch that folds out into a bed. The inside also features a built-in cabinet, a table, and a 110-volt power inverter that draws power from the tow vehicle’s battery. A 10-foot by 10-foot awning with screen enclosure is available to expand the camper’s amount of covered space for an extra $650. The Trail Edition camper will set you back $9995 and is available in four colors.
Jeep-Camper-Trailer-3-440x268.jpg

For those traversing wilder ground, the Extreme Trail Edition camper (above) builds on the regular Trail Edition, adding 35-inch tires that increase ground clearance to 15 inches, a beefier frame, skid plate, and big diamond-plate aluminum fenders that can accommodate tires up to 37 inches in diameter. All the interior trimmings are the same as the lesser version. It weighs 1050 pounds and costs $11,995.
Sure, you could buy a traditional tent for a lot less money, but it wouldn’t have the same manliness factor or conveniences as these Jeep-styled campers. We’re not completely sold on the off-road stability of these campers but if you’d like to find out, they’ll be available at Jeep and Mopar dealers this August.

sprale

Observer
It's one for the Jeep fanboys who will buy anything with the Jeep logo on it. I do think it's cool, but I'd still just want to build my own trailer and strap a RTT on the top.

Even the Tentrax would be a better value.
ORAT2.jpg

Gaidheal

Observer
They tried - gotta give them that at least. Would have been nice had they come anywhere CLOSE to the mark. :oops:

1/2 the price of a Jeep for a tent?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
They tried - gotta give them that at least. Would have been nice had they come anywhere CLOSE to the mark. :oops:

1/2 the price of a Jeep for a tent?

1/2? I only paid $4K for my '99 XJ!:victory:

Yeah, that's rediculous. I'd put that money towards an AT or Tentrax before I would get one of the Jeep logo'd things.:snorkel:

Heck, I've only got about $1200 into my set up now! (not including labor)

trailerCJ001.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I think you guys are missing the real impact of this...
There is enough of a movement towards our end of the hobby that a major auto company is willing to sell something like this through their dealer network!
How cool is that?

I think it is great that they are even trying to be more "expo", "overland" or whatever you want to call it. The more people that lean our way the better.

Is it what I would buy, maybe, maybe not...but the important thing is that it is something that will be at dealers for the average person to see and be influenced by.

Romer

Adventurer
I think you guys are missing the real impact of this...
There is enough of a movement towards our end of the hobby that a major auto company is willing to sell something like this through their dealer network!
How cool is that?

I think it is great that they are even trying to be more "expo", "overland" or whatever you want to call it. The more people that lean our way the better.

Is it what I would buy, maybe, maybe not...but the important thing is that it is something that will be at dealers for the average person to see and be influenced by.

Your right. Thats a great perspective

Toolman

Explorer
Guys... Have you ever priced an Adventure Trailer ?
Regardless if you would or wouldn't buy one.

Yes I built a trailer for less than half of that however for me it's about building it myself, and the gratification of knowing I did it. Someone may have seen one of our home built trailers and wonder where they can get one... Now they don't have to look very far.

Clearly there is a market and Chrysler wants a part of it, and it's not the first trailer to say "JEEP" on it.

I say good job. It makes me like my little trailer even more.

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Perhaps...

Lance, I think you have hit the nail on the head! This should be enlightening to the overlanders that they would invest in a growth market of such a narrow niche. Maybe our market is not as small as we once thought! I'm still waiting for Daddy Warbucks to tire of his new toy so I can purchase one for pennies in the dollar!:wings:

Piet

Adventurer
Also agree with Lance. I have been waiting for Jeep to recognize the audience for the Wrangler. Those that like adventure. (Camping, kayaking, etc...)

Now for some people, adventure might be hopping a curb on a tight Starbucks drive-thru. I am more than happy to buy their cast offs. Fact is, the livn' lite trailer is very light and fairly durable. (a little shaky for me however). If enough casual campers investigate it... Jeep may go further into the camping market.

If it were me at the helm... I would have partnered with Coleman. (But hey, I am armchair CEO'ing)

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
When I priced it it made the cost of a eezi-awn look good. I figure if I include my labor and research when building mine over time, it will make mine look like a bargain.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles