Jeep KJ Locker problems

FlyingWen

Explorer
I am only guessing that my problem in my lockers...

On several occasions, I have come to a red light after driving in a straight line and about 30 seconds into the light, my lockers release and it feels like I have been rear ended! That happens quite often and there is no reason for the lockers to engage.

Recently, (2X this week), I have backed out of my driveway, put the KJ in Drive and NOTHING! The engine revs, but it acts like it is in neutral. Then with a big rev, it jumps forward and all is well. Yesterday day leaving the doctors office, while in reverse, I had a HUGE jolt. I thought I had backed into another car, but after exiting my jeep, there was nothing there!

Has anyone else had this issue and if so.. any ideas on how to fix it?

jg45

The dropping into drive and nothing happening issue sounds like a transmission issue. What year KJ and what locker?

Zeero

Adventurer
Sounds like the automatically engaging lockers....which are virtually the only ones you can get for the Liberty.

They automatically engage when you hit the gas a little more firmly than usual.

They then release upon braking.

Sounds like a normally functioning Liberty locker set.

I could be wrong, but, my experience using the Libertys offroad, this sounds normal.

It sounds almost like you may have driveline issue or transmission problem that is connecting itself to the normal operation of the lockers.....how long ago were they installed and who did the install?

toledotimber

Observer
All auto. lockers have some inherent slop, but that sounds like too much. Are the rear driveline's u-joints good? Combine the slop from an auto. locker with worn rear u-joints and that might be it.

obscurotron

Adventurer
Sounds like a valve body issue or a shift solenoid (generically, I'm not an expert on the automatic transmissions used in Jeeps). The "bump" is something common in automatic Tacomas, where the pinoin-rear ujoint angle will change under load and when you release the brake at a stop light, you get a "clunk". But the lack of transmission engagement says, to me, a problem in the tranny. Check fluid levels too as a first step. It's not as likely a culprit, but it is possible and a cheap & easy fix.

-e

FlyingWen said:
I am only guessing that my problem in my lockers...

On several occasions, I have come to a red light after driving in a straight line and about 30 seconds into the light, my lockers release and it feels like I have been rear ended! That happens quite often and there is no reason for the lockers to engage.

Recently, (2X this week), I have backed out of my driveway, put the KJ in Drive and NOTHING! The engine revs, but it acts like it is in neutral. Then with a big rev, it jumps forward and all is well. Yesterday day leaving the doctors office, while in reverse, I had a HUGE jolt. I thought I had backed into another car, but after exiting my jeep, there was nothing there!

Has anyone else had this issue and if so.. any ideas on how to fix it?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
That sounds (as everyone is saying) like a Tranny/driveline issue. Look at it this way, even if the locker were not engaging or constantly staying engaged, you'd still get forward movement if the truck is in gear. Does that make sence??? What it sounds like to me is that your transmission is slipping or as someone else said the solenoid is going hasy-wire and not letting it go into gear.

Cheers

Dave

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I think you just need an ARB locker and some axle swaps. Get that wrench out honey... the air compressors already on!

FlyingWen

Explorer
flyingwil said:
I think you just need an ARB locker and some axle swaps. Get that wrench out honey... the air compressors already on!

Yeah right!

Boy, I sure hope that it is NOT a tranny problem. That sounds like it would be a lot of coin to repair.

madizell

Explorer
Is it possible that the shifter mechanism/cable is out of adjustment and that it isn't always firmly in gear? That might account for the failure to move forward.

As for the rear end, disconnect the locker activation so it can't lock up and see if that makes a difference (this is assuming that you have an E-locker, not an auto-locker). Hard to say if the problem might be coming from the rear end alone or because the transmission is shifting in and out erratically.

ExpeditionJeep

A couple quick questions? What brand locker is actually in the truck, how old is it and is this condition a sudden change or is this a problem that has been slowly getting worse? It's tough to help without a bit of basic info.:sunflower
Marc

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Hate to give you bad news Wen, but it sounds like a tranny problem. It could be something simple and cheap to repair like a solenoid going bad, but something is not letting it engage first when you put it into drive. Sounds like slippage to me which is not good. Run and drive the car until it gets to normal operating temp, then put the car in park and check your fluid leaving the car running. If it is nice and pink and smells kinda sweet then it may be a simple fix if you take care of it right away (by simple I mean solenoid, trans mount, U-Joint). If when you check the fluid and it is brown and dirty looking and smells burnt then you more than likely have an internal problem and the tranny will need to be rebuilt (fingers crossed that this is not the case as this can get very spendy). I don't think it has anything to do with your lockers. Good luck and keep us posted.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Depending on if the locker was properly installed, I would have to say it sounds more like a transmission problem. How many miles on the vehicle and have you had the transmission serviced recently?

jg45

No. The KJ had an optional Trac-Loc differential which was a clutch type of limited slip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior