Jeep just released a JL with a payload increase of 500lbs

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Well, sorta.

The new plug-in Hybrid 4xe Wrangler weighs 500lbs more than the regular 3.6 Wrangler (most of that is the battery which is under the back seat)

BUT it has exactly the same payload and towing capacity (1,280lbs and 3,500lbs) as the 3.6 Wrangler.

So in effect the frame, axles and suspension of the 4xe are carrying 500lbs more weight than the regular 3.6 Wrangler.

How very interesting.

-Dan

dstock

Explorer
Considering the diesel version of the Wrangler is 394lbs heavier than the 3.6 version, it's probably not that surprising, although it means some obvious extra wiggle room payload wise on the 3.6 versions.

Having owned an electric car, I am very interested in the 4xe as I see the benefits of the hybrid setup.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Considering the diesel version of the Wrangler is 394lbs heavier than the 3.6 version, it's probably not that surprising, although it means some obvious extra wiggle room payload wise on the 3.6 versions.

Having owned an electric car, I am very interested in the 4xe as I see the benefits of the hybrid setup.

I know the diesel Wrangler has a lower tow rating (or is that the gladiator?) .. but I can't find hard numbers on the payload..

Do the diesel Wrangler and 3.6 Wrangler have exactly the same payload, despite the Diesel weighing 400lbs more?

-Dan

dstock

Explorer
I know the diesel Wrangler has a lower tow rating (or is that the gladiator?) .. but I can't find hard numbers on the payload..

Do the diesel Wrangler and 3.6 Wrangler have exactly the same payload, despite the Diesel weighing 400lbs more?

-Dan

Having trouble locating the numbers as well...

By the way, I have followed your travels for years, great stuff!

billiebob

GVWR isn't just measuring suspension capacity. Vehicle dynamics are a factor. Perhaps low placement of that extra 500 lbs keeps center of mass low enough that stability is not changed.
This ^^^ intended use affects the ratings too. If you want max payload and max towing it'll be built like a semi with zero articulation and never intended for off highway or use where it might articulate. The Wrangler has always been built to go off road and flexibility/articulation plays a huge part in the capacity ratings. On vehicles like Wranglers and Power Wagons the ratings have nothing to do with how tough the components are.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

T-Willy

All the official press material says the 4xe has identical payload and towing to the 3.6 (but it weighs 500lbs more).

So all the websites and videos are quoting Jeep's official word on that -
For example: https://www.motorauthority.com/news...lug-in-hybrid-suv-revealed-strong-silent-type
(Search for 'payload')

-Dan

Thanks.

This implies that Jeep could reconfigure a 3.6 JLU with a 1700 payload. if so, I would spend half of those extra 500 payload pounds on auxiliary fuel capacity (and hardware), which would yield, given the 4Xe's efficiency, a net payload gain of perhaps 300 pounds over the 4xe.

And then there's the possibility of remote charging the 4xe's battery on solar or even wind. What a great leap forward.

dstock

Explorer
I just keep thinking about my 10.2 gallon AEV Fuel Caddy on the JK, on the 4xe...oh the range possibilities!!!

Redheddedwonder

Thanks.

This implies that Jeep could reconfigure a 3.6 JLU with a 1700 payload. if so, I would spend half of those extra 500 payload pounds on auxiliary fuel capacity (and hardware), which would yield, given the 4Xe's efficiency, a net payload gain of perhaps 300 pounds over the 4xe.

And then there's the possibility of remote charging the 4xe's battery on solar or even wind. What a great leap forward.

I read there will be a charging and saving mode available as well While driving, so switching between hybrid and these modes could increase the range as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles