Jeep JKU Camper for Four

rustypayne

Not nearly as bad as the stealthy 2" receiver hitch hanging out the back. When you move a 3/4 ton truck with your shin you know it was a good whack! Acting like it didn't hurt at the gas station is something I haven't mastered yet!

That made me wince to even read!

m-l_johnny

Thank you for the tour! I'm going to use your idea for the quick disconnects on the awning. I have the shorter awning mounted on the rear of the UM.
We just bought a used '17 JKU with the Ursa Minor about a month and a half ago. Still trying to figure out the acrobatics of two people in and out of the sleeping area. lol

Perhaps an idea to consider as an option to the hitch mount carrier; When I made the rear bumper and tire carrier for my CJ7, I made a rack that attaches to the tire carrier. That way, it doesn't have to be removed to access the tailgate area. It would be a little higher, so it would also improve your departure angle.

When I "designed" this tire carrier, I made it so the weight of the tire is carried by the two tubes, and stabilized by the mast. The two tubes also act as receivers for the cargo rack. I thought I had a pic, but I don't. The rack is essentially comprised of two tubes of a dia. to slide into the carrier with a platform (I had some aluminum honeycomb material) fastened to the tubing, and aluminum angle to form the perimeter and add rigidity. A pin thru each tube keeps it in place. It's strong enough that I have carried a two stage snow thrower on it as well as four mounted 33" tires.
As a side note, I also made a bike rack that slides into the top of the mast. Can't really use both together, though.

Attachments

• carrier complete_no tire_rv_open.jpg
    carrier complete_no tire_rv_open.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 35

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Perhaps an idea to consider as an option to the hitch mount carrier; When I made the rear bumper and tire carrier for my CJ7, I made a rack that attaches to the tire carrier. That way, it doesn't have to be removed to access the tailgate area. It would be a little higher, so it would also improve your departure angle.

That's a great idea! I've seen racks built above the spare tire for coolers in the past but I really like how yours is lower. That would allow access to the cooler without having to know how to fly! I'll definitely look into incorporating that in the future.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
the old school floor dimmer switch rocks!
Thanks, I really like that feature! We will see if it stays though. The JKU is starting to go on a diet today and my LED off road lights might be a casualty on the road to gvwr. I don't really need them due to my LED factory headlights and fog lights. If I had the standard JK bulbs they would be a keeper for sure, but they don't really add much more useable light. When I scaled 6400 pounds loaded the other day it really opened my eyes to how far out I was. My next goal is 6000 pounds loaded which is going to be a big bite for sure! So far I've removed 30 pounds of unneeded (hopefully) bags, boxes, straps, tools, jumper cables etc....

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
can I talk you into taking this measurement for me? thanks.
No problem, The front shock today is 21" exactly so the 2619 spring and OME trim packer added 2.5" of lift. The rear is 8 1/4" with the 2620 spring, so 2.9" of lift in the rear unloaded. It rides a little stiff unloaded but you can't have both without air bags. I've been down that road before and much prefer the simplicity of my new springs. The 2618 rear springs I had got me @1 5/8" lift before I added the ursa minor top.

jadmt

ignore button user
No problem, The front shock today is 21" exactly so the 2619 spring and OME trim packer added 2.5" of lift. The rear is 8 1/4" with the 2620 spring, so 2.9" of lift in the rear unloaded. It rides a little stiff unloaded but you can't have both without air bags. I've been down that road before and much prefer the simplicity of my new springs. The 2618 rear springs I had got me @1 5/8" lift before I added the ursa minor top.
Thanks. I am a little surprised the 2620 lifted that much over the 2618 especially with that much extra weight. I have had tried almost every brand of coil ie AEV, RK, TF MC and some I forgot about but have not tried OME yet and have kicked it around. thanks

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Thanks. I am a little surprised the 2620 lifted that much over the 2618 especially with that much extra weight. I have had tried almost every brand of coil ie AEV, RK, TF MC and some I forgot about but have not tried OME yet and have kicked it around. thanks
I just want to let you know that the Jeep was unloaded when I took that measurement. It levels out when you apply the weight to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94