Jeep JKU Camper for Four

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I was thinking about doing a build thread of my latest project but I figured it would be easier to do a youtube video. Boy was I wrong! What was supposed to be one, turned into two and took me all day to shoot and edit, and three days to upload with my poor internet (think telegraph). If you think you might enjoy learning about the things I did to convert my Wrangler JKU into a camper for four people, plus the camera work and editing of a complete novice, check my videos out. I warned you.

OregonJKU

Great work on your JKU and on the video. Very much like your setup.
BTW you mentioned you got your curtains from Amazon. Can you be more specific?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Great work on your JKU and on the video. Very much like your setup.
BTW you mentioned you got your curtains from Amazon. Can you be more specific?
Absolutely, I bought three sets of the 24" width ones in the link. There are several colors to choose from.

Florida Native

Very nice setup and good work on both Jeep and videos!

How exactly did you attach the box to the Jeep's tie downs? Do you have any close up pics of the attachment?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OregonJKU

Absolutely, I bought three sets of the 24" width ones in the link. There are several colors to choose from.
Thank you. Another question if you don't mind - where do you store your camping gear, e.g., stove, cooler/fridge, sleeping bags, etc?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
How exactly did you attach the box to the Jeep's tie downs? Do you have any close up pics of the attachment?
I used a bowman brand wire clamp and I drilled and bolted them to the pine 1x6's. I used four of the Jeeps footman loops and that secured the boxes very well. I built the boxes in such a way that it doesn't sit on any of the plastics in the back of the Jeep so that at some point when it comes out it won't do any damage. I'm a little OCD about permanent mods on a new vehicle! The first pic is the front attachment. This is from inside the box. The second Pic is outside the box at the back. It's right under the latches for the lid.
2020-04-28_16-08-46_574.jpeg2020-04-28_16-08-26_528.jpeg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Thank you. Another question if you don't mind - where do you store your camping gear, e.g., stove, cooler/fridge, sleeping bags, etc?

I don't mind at all! Packing for four is a chore! When the whole gang is in the Jeep I put my stove inside the box where the toilet is in the video. The toilet will then go above the box with the kitchen container and some other light weight items. I'm trying a Front Runner wolf pack right now and I have some pelican cases. I'm considering swapping them all for Rubbermade containers as they're a ton lighter and cheaper! The toilet shelter folds into a disc and it rides behind my XGcargo gama bags along with the window screens and windshield cover. I stack the downstairs mattress and sleeping bags, pillows on top of that and lash it all down to the tiedowns. This kills the view out the back widow, but it's next to worthless already! I keep the underside of the rear seats clear for folding down, but it does allow a spot for my daughters to have their personal travel bags. Everything they need for travel is then within their reach. My Ursa minor holds all the bedding for upstairs, and then I add a hitch rack for the cooler, BBQ, etc.. The hitch rack isn't ideal but it's the best solution to keep the weight low, versus throwing it up on the roof. The roof is reserved for my cheap walmart kayaks that we splash around in on the shoreline of lakes. I'm not doing any rock crawling, mostly highway, gravel and dirt roads so the setup works well enough. I have a hitch rack bag that I use to keep the dust to a minimum. Obviously, when traveling with four it's important to limit what you take, but I am not a total minimalist and want my wife and kids comfortable. If it's just me solo everything will pack in the Jeep easily for several days. On a side not, I would love to add a fridge some day but for right now we don't go long enough to justify the expense or complexity. If I was ten years older and the kids out I would replace the sleeping platform with a fridge tray. Future mods will hopefully be a tailgate table and a new set of shoes as time and money allow!

OregonJKU

I don't mind at all! Packing for four is a chore! When the whole gang is in the Jeep I put my stove inside the box where the toilet is in the video. The toilet will then go above the box with the kitchen container and some other light weight items. I'm trying a Front Runner wolf pack right now and I have some pelican cases. I'm considering swapping them all for Rubbermade containers as they're a ton lighter and cheaper! The toilet shelter folds into a disc and it rides behind my XGcargo gama bags along with the window screens and windshield cover. I stack the downstairs mattress and sleeping bags, pillows on top of that and lash it all down to the tiedowns. This kills the view out the back widow, but it's next to worthless already! I keep the underside of the rear seats clear for folding down, but it does allow a spot for my daughters to have their personal travel bags. Everything they need for travel is then within their reach. My Ursa minor holds all the bedding for upstairs, and then I add a hitch rack for the cooler, BBQ, etc.. The hitch rack isn't ideal but it's the best solution to keep the weight low, versus throwing it up on the roof. The roof is reserved for my cheap walmart kayaks that we splash around in on the shoreline of lakes. I'm not doing any rock crawling, mostly highway, gravel and dirt roads so the setup works well enough. I have a hitch rack bag that I use to keep the dust to a minimum. Obviously, when traveling with four it's important to limit what you take, but I am not a total minimalist and want my wife and kids comfortable. If it's just me solo everything will pack in the Jeep easily for several days. On a side not, I would love to add a fridge some day but for right now we don't go long enough to justify the expense or complexity. If I was ten years older and the kids out I would replace the sleeping platform with a fridge tray. Future mods will hopefully be a tailgate table and a new set of shoes as time and money allow!
Thank you again for your reply. And yes, we also have a hitch rack, and as you say it's not ideal.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Hitch rack.... aka shin skinner!
Not nearly as bad as the stealthy 2" receiver hitch hanging out the back. When you move a 3/4 ton truck with your shin you know it was a good whack! Acting like it didn't hurt at the gas station is something I haven't mastered yet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz