jeep jk unlimited camper project

Ultralite

Adventurer
I was standing in line to catch the bus over to Expo on that Saturday. Saw your Jeep from afar. Really wanted to see it up close. It looked great from where I was. I’m over in Atlanta, hope I can see it at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rubicon91

Explorer
Decided to skip the expo today because of the rain. Headed there early on Saturday.
It was great talking with you at expo even though I didn't get to see your Jeep. One of these days I'll see it in person. Weather was unfortunately a significant factor for everyone. I had a blast but found myself on day 2 and 3 staying close to the booth as I was tired of navigating the mud. Didn't really go into the camp area at all and that was always my favorite part of expo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

bamajeep

Adventurer
I was standing in line to catch the bus over to Expo on that Saturday. Saw your Jeep from afar. Really wanted to see it up close. It looked great from where I was. I’m over in Atlanta, hope I can see it at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Planning to be in Atlanta the weekend of Jan 4th - heading over to the Caffeine and Octane event and will be camping in Stone Mountain. Let me know if you'll be around - would be glad to meet up.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Since having the camper finished and in use the past few months, I’ve have been flooded with questions and interest everywhere I go. I’ve gone back and forth, but think that bringing these to the market may be a worthwhile venture. The question/problem is the high expense in production, CA98FD58-7785-4926-9C2D-A1B369E2AF72.jpeg12B5C87A-A6A5-4485-BAD5-BAD11D412476.jpeg91347B07-68C7-42DB-90CB-3541C81E1E56.jpegprimarily in material/labor. What do you guys think would be a fair market value?

Thanks in advance -

Here are a few pics of our last trip to Gatlinburg.

Hard to say but check out yiur competitions prices at cliffside.com its a starting point this much i know if you price it under the competitor and at a price mist couldbafford younwill do extremely well imho every camping option short of a ground tent i ridiculously over priced how does a good four season tent on the ground go fromm 500(best guess) become 2000 on the roof of a jeep ? ******? Makes no sense uhh sorry about the rant. Time to go

ratled

Adventurer
Welp the J30 is a base of $6,000 and is less than yours in what it offers but has a good following.

A very similar prodcut is the Gazel/ American Safari. When Mat at OE was trying to get these to offer he was about $15k. Now that Red River is offering them they are at a base of $18k the last time I looked. It's a little more than the J30 in offerings but 3x the price. Even given the 15" extension I think they have out priced their product if you consider what a final all in cost would be. I was a buyer of this unit when Mat was trying to sell them but the price bump and poor customer service shut that down with RR

The Earth Roamer was/is a very similar product and if I remember right pricey too. If I recall they only sold something like only 10-15 units.

IF you could get a quality product out, in a timely manner, have decent customer service, and stay as close to $20k as you can I think you stand a chance to carve out a niche.

That said, you can add me on the mailing list when you start one

ratled

Last edited:

Presto88

Adventurer
By the time it was shipped to me in Utah, my UrsaMinor J30 was almost 8 grand. Seems like that's the kind of product that you would be competing against. I know that it's not the same as yours, but you are going to be competing for the same customers. (Although based on the backlog at UrsaMinor, you might say that the same customers are going to competing for your product!)

Don't know if this helps, but it's the best that I have to offer.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Gazelle and Cliffride are constructed using a mold and laid-up fiberglass - ends up being 1/3-1/4 the cost of a honeycomb composite construction, but also 1/3-1/4 heavier as well. In my opinion, honeycomb composite construction is superior given the weight savings. Do you think people would be willing to pay more for a higher-end, lighter weight product, even if retail would be around 20K (based on prototype costs, that's where I've figured we'd be pricewise)?

bamajeep

Adventurer
Maybe some interior pics will help considering a price.

Interior is pretty much the same as in the pics on thread - plan to keep it simple but all of the exposed honeycomb edge will be trimmed. There is a full-size bed in the pop-up section, a dinette seating area (approx 3' x 5.5') that doubles as an additional sleeping area for kids or shorter adults like myself, built in shelving above fenders, counter areas on both sides, and additonal storage under the dinette. We've added 3"-4" cushions for the bed and dinette as well. For the production model, the rear window will most likely be a double paned Dometic or Tern Overland model. Our dogs have dirtied up the interior from the last camping trip, but will be getting it cleaned up prior to next weekend's trip. Will be sure to take some pics.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Gazelle and Cliffride are constructed using a mold and laid-up fiberglass - ends up being 1/3-1/4 the cost of a honeycomb composite construction, but also 1/3-1/4 heavier as well. In my opinion, honeycomb composite construction is superior given the weight savings. Do you think people would be willing to pay more for a higher-end, lighter weight product, even if retail would be around 20K (based on prototype costs, that's where I've figured we'd be pricewise)?
I think people will say yes but when it hits the market the masses won't put forth the extra dough. When the J180 (flipac style ursa minor) was being discussed their was a long list of people saying they would buy it but when the pricing was announced people gravitated to the J30 version that was about $1500 cheaper IIRC. There were other mitigating factors that drove it but my take away was when a item is in development, money is no issue. When it is finalized and it is time to pay up, money becomes a huge factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles