jeep jk unlimited camper project

bamajeep

Adventurer
Bump! Need some updates, please..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not much to update due to end of school year activities with kids and a sickness in the family. Basically, the things I've done include fixing the issues the coater created (if you can call that progress). Hope to get started on the canvas in the next couple weeks. Sorry for lack of progress - will update soon (???)

bamajeep

Adventurer
Not much to mention as far as any updates. Sorry for the lack of progress - have been working on alot of small details. All that's left to finish is the canvas. Been spending most of my time researching and speaking to companies regarding alternate production methods. What do you guys think about the method of thermoforming? There's a method that includes a 2 layer construction with a foam core. Many newer truck and UTV beds are produced by thermoforming. Any thoughts? Thanks!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...What do you guys think about the method of thermoforming? There's a method that includes a 2 layer construction with a foam core. Many newer truck and UTV beds are produced by thermoforming. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Are you thinking of ditching the plywood and starting over, or maybe thinking of doing a version for sale?

bamajeep

Adventurer
h
Are you thinking of ditching the plywood and starting over, or maybe thinking of doing a version for sale?

Definitely going to keep the plywood camper for myself - knew when I started that this would be somewhat of a prototype. Basically, I'm doing research on all of the possible construction methods and costs on a small scale - I've had some interest in whether or not I'd sell these and I don't know if there'd be a market for them, what a fair price would be, or if it'd even be profitable?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
h

Definitely going to keep the plywood camper for myself - knew when I started that this would be somewhat of a prototype. Basically, I'm doing research on all of the possible construction methods and costs on a small scale - I've had some interest in whether or not I'd sell these and I don't know if there'd be a market for them, what a fair price would be, or if it'd even be profitable?

Making the forms for thermo-forming or the molds for fiberglass if you decided to go that way will be a significant expense. In my experience, molds for fiberglass can be less expensive than forms for thermo-forming, but there are lots of factors that determine the cost of forms/molds, so that's not always true, but in general, fiberglass is less expensive to produce in small quantities than thermo-forming, especially at the size of camper components. If you can make the mold masters yourself, fiberglass molds will be a lot less expensive than thermo-forming forms.

Also the "draw" possible with thermo-formed parts will factor into the design of the components; since the parts can't be very deep, you may end up with more parts than with a fiberglass design, where much greater depth is possible. Something that can be made in two parts in fiberglass, for example (think Scamp camper trailer), would require many more parts if thermo-formed.

Structural reinforcement can be built into fiberglass parts, but often has to be done separately when using thermo-formed parts, so that can add to the expense of thermo-formed parts vs. fiberglass.

I'm not trying to convince you to use fiberglass, just pointing out some of the considerations for thermo-formed parts vs. fiberglass parts.

Either way, the tooling costs for a limited-run product of this size will be fairly large. Careful design for the capabilities of the production technique chosen can keep costs down.

MtnBubba

Observer
This seems like a good place to ask, does anyone have experience successfully straightening warped plywood?

I have some 5/8 exterior for a project and they loaded it while I was paying. One of the sheets was warped, and i didn't notice before I got home.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Sometimes even cut stuff can be returned if you get into it and find that it is delaminated. Then again I had to glue some together to get a job done in a timely manner and of course, it depends on how it's stored. You might just need to turn it over. Keep it off of concrete.

Espo78

Adventurer
I would imagine if you soaked the wood and put something heavy on it you could straighten it out. People bend plywood when making skateboard ramps by soaking it I believe.

Lucky j

Explorer
When making skateboard, they built the plywood into shape by adding one sheet of wood at a time with glue and holding it in a press while the glue dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles