jeep jk unlimited camper project

bamajeep

Adventurer
Were do you think I should mount my spare, on top or on the back? If I but it on the back that would eliminate my back window, but I could use a back up camera. What do you think??

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
That's a tricky one - you might look at the guy who has the white G-wagon expedition camper on Expo Portal who just went through the same issue... he ended up putting in on the back via a welded support carrier.

You could still have a window - but it would be partially blocked however. Maybe offset it on to the driver side to allow more of a view to that corner.

So are you planning on climbing in through the side doors then to get into the back camper section? A bit tricky with the roll cage I would think. An internally mounted spare on one side of the back would probably make that harder...

Keep us posted!

bamajeep

Adventurer
I'm building the camper while keeping in mind that I will most likely be taking the 3 kids and wife - For that reason, I'll be using the rear doors for access. I know it will be a little tricky getting in and out, but will benefit from the extra space in the rear (will be a small dinette seating area in the back of the camper). My idea is that when you get to the campsite, you simply fold down the rear seats and unbolt the rear cross member of the roll bar for pass-through space in the rear. I figure that one could sleep in the dinette seating area, two in the floor, and my wife and me in the overhead bed (will be over the front seats and overhang the windshield.) I'm also going to try to make the front seats so that they will slide out , turn 180 degrees, and be rear-facing. My next hurdle will be figuring out how to make the process of unbolting the rear cross member on the roll cage a quick one. I don't want to eliminate the cross member because the kids will be in the back when traveling. However, I'd like to come up with a quick-disconnect that will be strong and safe. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Were do you think I should mount my spare, on top or on the back? If I but it on the back that would eliminate my back window, but I could use a back up camera. What do you think??

Have you thought about mounting on the side? Old school
Tom

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Should have said to offset the tire to the driver side on the back and put a window on the passenger side of the rear... Seems to work well that way from my experience. A rear camera would also be an option.

I don't think I would trust the wood construction to handle the weight of the spare however...

Also - it doesn't look like this has been on the JKU yet - the roof of the JKU is not straight in any direction is seems - so some interesting fitting of the roof will be required...

I also think you will need the space over not only the front seats and the back seats in order to have a pair of people sleep up there - the JKU is too narrow to sleep sideways of course. I've thought about building something similar - but the bed would start at the edge of the windshield and then would continue back to the rear roll bar and be open to below from there to the back of the camper enclosure. Curious how you are planning to make yours work.

Glad to see you are trying it and not just talking about it like me!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
My suggestion would be to put a rack on top and carry the spare there.

BamaJeep2_zps89199d48.jpg

Obviously mine isn't a camper (or a JKU), but when I go offroad/expeditioning I usually carry two spares, the second one on the rack on top...

DaltonEnd_zps4a7f66aa.jpg

Jeff

bamajeep

Adventurer
Should have said to offset the tire to the driver side on the back and put a window on the passenger side of the rear... Seems to work well that way from my experience. A rear camera would also be an option.

I don't think I would trust the wood construction to handle the weight of the spare however...

Also - it doesn't look like this has been on the JKU yet - the roof of the JKU is not straight in any direction is seems - so some interesting fitting of the roof will be required...

I also think you will need the space over not only the front seats and the back seats in order to have a pair of people sleep up there - the JKU is too narrow to sleep sideways of course. I've thought about building something similar - but the bed would start at the edge of the windshield and then would continue back to the rear roll bar and be open to below from there to the back of the camper enclosure. Curious how you are planning to make yours work.

Glad to see you are trying it and not just talking about it like me!

Thanks for your suggestions! The camper will overhang the windshield 3', giving a total of 6'3" sleeping area - I know there are some disadvantages of the camper overhanging the windshield so much, but I figured the advantages outweigh them. This will give uncompromised living space in the rear. As far as fitment, I actually constructed the camper while on the Jeep (pictures don't reflect the curved arches on the camper that follow the contour of the Jeep). Am constructing this first model out of wood, in the hope of constructing a final model in aluminum. Figured it was a great deal cheaper during prototyping, but the wood, pound for pound, is surprisingly one of the strongest materials you can use (if constructed right).
Will be taking your advice regarding offsetting the tire on the rear - going to check it out this weekend. Any idea where I can find pics of the G Wagon you were referring to ?

bamajeep

Adventurer
Camper Project

Jeff - I've attached a pic I took tonight (excuse the bad lighting) with the spare on the top - As far as a rack, I actually designed the top to serve as a rack. The rear is recessed and the sides have holes for tie-downs. I tried to follow the lines and contours of the Jeeps so that the camper would have a more "factory" look than appear an after-thought. If there's anyway you could photoshop the camper overhanging the windshield 3" and being the width of the fender flares (the side of the camper will actually float 1/4" above the fender flares, while following them), that'd be awesome as it'll be several weeks before I'm able to put it back on the Jeep. Thanks so much for your suggestions - All of your projects are awesome! (I hope one day I can be like you!)

JasonIMG_20150213_205235504[1].jpg

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I would consider putting the spare on the back, just to keep the center of gravity lower. It looks like that rig is going to be fairly heavy and all up high. That's an ambitious project to try and sleep five in a JKU. I'm excited to see this develop. Good luck!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff - I've attached a pic I took tonight (excuse the bad lighting) with the spare on the top - As far as a rack, I actually designed the top to serve as a rack. The rear is recessed and the sides have holes for tie-downs. I tried to follow the lines and contours of the Jeeps so that the camper would have a more "factory" look than appear an after-thought. If there's anyway you could photoshop the camper overhanging the windshield 3" and being the width of the fender flares (the side of the camper will actually float 1/4" above the fender flares, while following them), that'd be awesome as it'll be several weeks before I'm able to put it back on the Jeep. Thanks so much for your suggestions - All of your projects are awesome! (I hope one day I can be like you!)

Oh, I didn't realize the sides of the camper were wider than the Jeep tub - I assumed they went inside the tub somehow so that's how I pasted it on the JKU image. Here's another try at it, the sides of the camper are outside of the tub. I cut the camper image directly from your side view photo, and pasted it on a side view of a JKU, although it looks like there's more than 3" overhang in front of the window. Maybe your side view photo wasn't a true 90-degree side view. Anyway, here it is...

BamaJeep3_zps2505d968.jpg

bamajeep

Adventurer
I agree about the center of gravity - definitely thinking about mounting it on the back. I'm back and forth on the pros and cons of either mounting location. Thanks for the suggestion!

bamajeep

Adventurer
Thanks, Jeff - That's awesome - You're right - there's more than 3" overhang - major typo on my part (was supposed to read 3'). Explains the difficulty in getting the picture to match up. Sorry, and thanks again!

bamajeep

Adventurer
Jeep JK Unlimited Camper Project

Camper1.jpgCamper2.jpgFinally got a chance to put the camper on the Jeep - took a few pics.

Attachments

• Camper4.jpg
    Camper4.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_6517.jpg
    IMG_6517.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_6544.jpg
    IMG_6544.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_6519.jpg
    IMG_6519.jpg