Jeep JK - 2011 manual transmission issues

Eberin

Have a 2011 JKU with 120k, understanding I’m at that point of wear and tear with a manual and the clutch could or needs replacement

I’m getting a hydraulic sound when I shift from nuetral to any gear,

it’s important to know this is just my fun vehicle now and I tow my cargotrailer camper to the mountains

shifting is getting more difficult (mechanically) and especially difficult when I tow a trailer (recently changed transmission fluid)

coming back from a trip last week I was unable to shift it into gear after coming to a stop light but eventually did get it into second

curious what people think the sound could be

I’m assuming it’s more internal to the transmission like the synchros but maybe a throw out bearing

but plan to take it to a shop soon

below is the video of the sound I get

https://youtube.com/shorts/trnKI7ryITE?feature=share

Attachments

• A55E3229-40E6-440E-A2CB-A9DD5E131EBA.jpeg
    A55E3229-40E6-440E-A2CB-A9DD5E131EBA.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 25F6061F-B2E9-4AF7-8632-A2E3FA2A0616.jpeg
    25F6061F-B2E9-4AF7-8632-A2E3FA2A0616.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you double-clutch will it go into gear no problem? That would indicate synchros. Unlikely that all synchros wear at the same time, more likely a throw out bearing issue if it happens on every shift, and keeps you from getting into gear off a stop.

Eberin

If you double-clutch will it go into gear no problem? That would indicate synchros. Unlikely that all synchros wear at the same time, more likely a throw out bearing issue if it happens on every shift, and keeps you from getting into gear off a stop.

I haven’t tried to double clutch technique but will, it just is very stiff and I feel like I force it when I’m shifting normally

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You said fluid was changed? Are you sure the right oil was put in? And do you mean fluid in the clutch system or the oil in the transmission? Was the old oil full of metal?

Eberin

You said fluid was changed? Are you sure the right oil was put in? And do you mean fluid in the clutch system or the oil in the transmission? Was the old oil full of metal?
Yes I drained it and put in new transmission oil, it was correct but I’ll go back and double check

never found any metal shavings

I did too top off the brake fluid reservoir recently for the heck of it but it wasn’t low.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ll bet your throw out bearing is tired and your clutch is thin, the combination is causing the vibration/hum that you are feeling. Just a guess, as it has been a few minutes since I’ve torn down a manual gearbox, but If it was mine, I would check the clutch thickness and then probably buy a clutch and throw out bearing kit if it was below 30% remaining.

Eberin

I’ll bet your throw out bearing is tired and your clutch is thin, the combination is causing the vibration/hum that you are feeling. Just a guess, as it has been a few minutes since I’ve torn down a manual gearbox, but If it was mine, I would check the clutch thickness and then probably buy a clutch and throw out bearing kit if it was below 30% remaining.

I appreciate just another opinion. Thanks

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I hate hearing someone refer to what should be “gear oil” as “transmission oil”. It makes me think the wrong product was used. Transmission “Fluid” is essentially hydraulic fluid with red dye and some additives For use in automatic transmission whereas heavyweight gear oil is for axles and gearboxes. The wrong one would be really loud…….until it wasn’t anymore.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The clutch slave is only plastic, and they're notoriously weak on the NSG 370.

Can you start it and drive it in a single gear no problem?

Does the clutch pedal feel waaaay different than it used to?

I'm going to go with clutch slave cylinder.

-Dan

Eberin

Clutch slave cylinder.
Ok, glad I ordered it for the heck of it on Sunday

replaced the slave cylinder and its like night and day

smoother shifting doesn’t feel hard like it used to, no clutch pedal squeak, the whine I heard is drastically reduced

I’m sure I’m right around the corner for future issues but I feel confident I don’t have a more severe issue currently

thanks for all thing input and that’s for everyone!

Eberin

The clutch slave is only plastic, and they're notoriously weak on the NSG 370.

Can you start it and drive it in a single gear no problem?

Does the clutch pedal feel waaaay different than it used to?

I'm going to go with clutch slave cylinder.

-Dan

Yes I could always drive it, just felt like I forced it into gear each shift, like I would go to third and push it through two clicks, clutch never felt any different.

There were times I would try to down shift and I ended up grinding the gears a little, and I’d have to reset, which happened more when I towed my trailer up hill trying to draft the semi trucks, but mountain driving and excess heat is another contributing factor

it only failed to go into gear once,that was at a stop light on a slight incline, and that’s when I started looking into the issues more, I kind of assumed my trailer just strained everything towing fully loaded with camping gear and the age of the Jeep/miles was wear

dry weight is about 1,100lbs
With camp gear I’m sure it’s another 500-700 lbs even more with wood/water/coolers etc plus what’s extra in the Jeep with a family

Now that that I replaced the slave cylinder it feels a lot smoother

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94