Jeep J8 vs Defender 110 vs Mercedes G-Wagen vs Nissan Patrol Y61 vs Land Cruiser 76

Ultimate Overlander?

• Jeep J8

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Defender 110

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • G-Wagen

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Nissan Patrol

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • Land Cruiser 76

Votes: 45 41.3%

• Total voters

mbenne4

Hi, newbie here, with newbie questions:

I live and drive in the United States. I have cash in hand. Are each of the following in current production?
Are all five available new from the dealership? Widely stocked?

Jeep J8
Defender 110 Puma
Mercedes G-Wagen 461 Professional
Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0 CRD
Land Cruiser VDJ76

Alternatively, are examples of the above widely available on the secondary market? Easy to arrange test drives?

Located in Chicago. Thanks in advance!

haven

Expedition Leader
The title of this article should be, "The best factory off-road vehicles that will never be available in North America."

:sombrero:The article will be of great interest to all OJ subscribers who live in Botswana and have 1 million Botswana Pulas to spend on a new vehicle.

I alomst forgot: I vote for the Nissan Patrol Y61.

Scott Brady

Founder
I can buy all of these trucks, but never drive them on US soil :) The best option is the little shell company in Joburg. . .

Alternately, a variance of each of these vehicles is available in north America, just older configurations (25-years) or deviations to the drivetrain listed. Interestingly, the G-Wagon is the only platform actually available new in the US. The J8 is significantly different from the Rubicon, although the Rubicon is a worthy compromise- if you pack really, really, really light.

We spend a ton of time in the article sharing research on bringing variations of these trucks into the US including importers and even companies that can retrofit Wranglers into J8'esc mil-spec Jeeps.

We have thousands of international subscribers and I would venture that even our NA readers will find the article a worthwhile read.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I own a couple of Toytas and love them. I have owned a jeep and loved it. But I would pick the Patrol or G-Wagen. Probably G-wagen.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I can buy all of these trucks, but never drive them on US soil :) ...

...Interestingly, the G-Wagon is the only platform actually available new in the US. ..

As far as I know, the 461 G is not available ( nor ever has been) in the U.S....in fact, new ones are not available in Europe either..... Though MB still makes them... As I pointed out in a earlier post, there are significant, overland travel relevant differences between the commercial/military 461 and the more common BLIN-G models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Brady

Founder
No, new 461s are not available in the US. We needed to test the professional in South Africa.

However, it is now possible to import 25 year old 461s. The really interesting G to import will be the mid 1990 463s with the 300 TD.- the best of the G-Klasse IMHO

mbenne4

Thanks for the response!

I can buy all of these trucks, but never drive them on US soil :) The best option is the little shell company in Joburg. . .

This sounds a little involved for my purposes, though I should probably do some research before discounting it.

We spend a ton of time in the article sharing research on bringing variations of these trucks into the US including importers and even companies that can retrofit Wranglers into J8'esc mil-spec Jeeps.

Overland Journal summer issue you say--to list outfits in the States who are converting JKURs to J8s? You have my attention!

We have thousands of international subscribers and I would venture that even our NA readers will find the article a worthwhile read.

Yes, yes. The global focus and international perspective of this web portal is what makes it so special IMO.

mapper

Explorer
Well, I have zero direct experience with any of these so I guess I'm unbiased :sombrero:.

If I was living out of the thing I'd want space. If traveling a lot I'd want something that can handle highway driving is decent comfort. If buying and using a used vehicle I'd want parts availability and DIY information available online. That leads me to the Merc or the Toyota. I'd love to chose the LR but everything I've ever read says highway driving will be compromised and maintenance will be high (I do peruse the LR forums/classifieds and see what people are doing to/with their trucks). Ultimately, if forced to choose without driving any of them I'd go with the Merc as, long term, it seems any Mercedes stands the test of time/entropy better than a Toyota. Not to say Toyota is no good, but the number one thing folks seem to look for/at in most old and not-so-old Land Cruisers is rust. It isn't uncommon to see late 70s or early 80s benzes cruising around looking nearly new.

There you go, totally unbiased and uniformed!!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society

Alternately, a variance of each of these vehicles is available in north America, just older configurations (25-years) or deviations to the drivetrain listed. Interestingly, the G-Wagon is the only platform actually available new in the US. The J8 is significantly different from the Rubicon, although the Rubicon is a worthy compromise- if you pack really, really, really light.

If you need someone to run the shell company while you are away....I volunteer for duty. As long as you give me a LC 76 and enough vacation days to take trips to Bots and Namibia...:costumed-smiley-007

ljense8

Adventurer
I may be a bit biased, but my vehicle of choice wasn't listed (as newer models no longer really fit in this class, I'm not surprised). I have been the owner of a 98 Gen 2.5 Mitsubishi Montero for about 8 months, and 15k miles, and have been impressed with it's performance in almost all aspects. It seats my family of 5 comfortably, and goes anywhere I want it to go reliably, while returning 15-19mpg consistently. It came stock with a rear air locker and lockable center differential to make it an ideal platform for many conditions, and has 3 way adjustable ride stiffness via a simple switch, making it nice and planted for freeway use, or surprisingly supple around town. It's offroad manners have been great as well, anywhere I have taken it, from muddy trails, to rocks, to deep snow, and sand. I understand these options are nothing new to most, but a nice example of a similarly optioned Montero can be had for about $3500. Also, it can fit 33x10.5 tires easily, with no lift. Essentially, my choice came down to a combination of capability and budget. The main downside I have noticed is scarcity of parts in the American market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles