Jeep J8 USA Buying Options?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Moab,
You are preaching to the choir about the upsides of the CJ-8. It was a great platform....as a start. If you are going to do this, (purposely for you in Helldorado Canyon, Moab)

or this:

At these angles there is no way to keep the BDB carb running, let alone have the wimpy T-4 or T-5, Dana 30 and Corp 20 AMC axles survive any of this with both ends locked. How would I know? I broke both front and rear axles in Moab, and even thumped a Dana 300 t. case. The frame is good enough for 'flatlanding'. Eventually with all the hard core rock crawling my frame cracked near the spring hanger. It was then welded fishplate strengthened on 3 sides around the spring hanger by an uparmourer that had a contract to uparmour HumVee's for Afganistan using the same 1/4 inch plate. It was a constant, 30 year press to improve on the old, outdated but impressive 'glamping' variety of CJ-8. It was worth it. Why? Because, as the old saw predicts, "Jeeps are built not made", and it's a satisfying build process that keeps many of us going.

jefe

Last edited:

moabian

Funny...I thought this was an expedition forum rather than a rock crawling forum. In my 44 years of living in Moab, I've seen trail obstacles gradually become more important than the trail's destination. Too bad. Over the years, I've seen most of Moab's trails get ripped to shreds by rock crawlers and UTVers who don't have a clue about how to drive. They just keep building vehicles up to compensate for their lack of off-road driving skills...and ruin the trails in the process. Again, sad. I feel no need or desire to prove my mettle, metal, or macho by conquering rocks or extreme trail obstacles simply to get to the other side. If I need to "conquer" an obstacle, I prefer to do it the old-fashioned way...on foot.

Heldorado/BFE is simply an amusement park. The trails go nowhere. But at least it keeps some of the rock crawlers from further damaging the local trails that actually do go somewhere worthy of an expedition. Have you ever seen a photo of the magnificent views from Area BFE? I haven't. It might as well be on the outskirts of Chicago. The only photos are of "built" vehicles at obscene angles on tire-blackened rocks.

I was lucky enough to count the late Bates Wilson among my friends. He's generally considered to be the "Father of Canyonlands National Park." He could travel to places in his old 50's era Jeep that would challenge many of today's drivers in their locked and loaded vehicles. The same with a lot of the old uranium miners who built many of the roads and trails around Moab. They could get farther with less because they had the skill to do so. I guarantee that I covered trails in the 80s/90s in the Scrambler that were far from "flatlanding" as you say...and never broke anything on a trail. The closest I came was knocking the clutch linkage loose when I fell through some ice at a creek crossing. My "wimpy" T-5, "glamping" frame, stock axles, etc., are still purring along like new after 36 years. The 8 might have a hard time traversing some of the extreme and trashed trails around Moab now, but I've found that the mellower trails are the ones that actually lead to the best (and quietest) destinations.

Last edited:

utherjorge

Observer
From everything I've read, there were slightly less than 28,000 (27,792) CJ-8s produced. I bought mine brand new in 1982 and explored Moab's many trails for 14 years before selling it in 1996. It was completely stock except for an add-a-leaf lift and went everywhere I pointed it with no problem...for 103,000 miles. After owning a few other Jeeps and discovering they weren't as much fun as the Scrambler, I tracked my '82 down and convinced the fellow to whom I sold it that he should let me have it back. It returned home in February of 2016. In the 20 years he owned it, he put less than 9000 miles on it and stored it inside the entire time.

I've read about weak this or weak that on Jeeps of that era. The only thing that ever broke on mine was the spare tire carrier. I had the break welded and haven't had a problem since. The Scrambler is still completely stock...right down to the rare plastic end caps on the rear bumper. The only things that have been changed include the radiator, belts, shocks and fluids. I've attached an old photo and a recent photo below. There are more photos and a ton of info in a thread I started when I re-bought the vehicle: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/a-scramblers-homecoming.155223/ .

I hate to say this, but I have been considering selling the Scrambler again and picking up a new 2-door JL as soon as they start producing them with half doors. I like to go topless and I've discovered that the Scrambler's top just isn't as easy to remove as it used to be. That probably has something to do with my advancing age. I used to be able to easily remove the top by myself. While I can still do that, it's not "easily" removeable anymore. I've also found that I may be overly concerned with preservation of a classic vehicle so I don't drive it as much as I should.

In my opinion, the Scrambler was one of the best expedition vehicles of its time. I have mixed feelings about the new Jeep Wrangler pickup being called a Scrambler. It might also be a good expedition vehicle, but the length will make it unsuitable for many trails. It's apparently considerable longer then a 4-door JKU.

In The Maze, some time in the 80's:
View attachment 460280

At home:
View attachment 460281
That's a beautiful picture.

Bobzdar

Observer
I'd wait 6 months for the new scrambler, that should have what you guys are after without having to track down a fairly rare 35 year old vehicle or deal with importing an illegal one. I almost waited, but the new jl rubicons are amazing and capable enough that I didn't see much point in waiting.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I had never heard of the Jeep J8 until this was posted on the main page recently:
https://expeditionportal.com/the-ultimate-overlander/
Is there any way to buy these in the US market (other than the partial built AEV offering)? The links in the article do not seem to be fresh.
With a 2566lb payload, 2.8L diesel, and pickup option doesn't this seem way better than the upcoming (expensive) wrangler JT pickup for a proper camper conversion to anyone else?
I am just genuinely curious and had never heard about these before.
How about a 4wd 4dr pickup truck. More reliable and more functional.

Umbrarian

Observer
From everything I've read, there were slightly less than 28,000 (27,792) CJ-8s produced. I bought mine brand new in 1982 and explored Moab's many trails for 14 years before selling it in 1996. It was completely stock except for an add-a-leaf lift and went everywhere I pointed it with no problem...for 103,000 miles. After owning a few other Jeeps and discovering they weren't as much fun as the Scrambler, I tracked my '82 down and convinced the fellow to whom I sold it that he should let me have it back. It returned home in February of 2016. In the 20 years he owned it, he put less than 9000 miles on it and stored it inside the entire time.

I've read about weak this or weak that on Jeeps of that era. The only thing that ever broke on mine was the spare tire carrier. I had the break welded and haven't had a problem since. The Scrambler is still completely stock...right down to the rare plastic end caps on the rear bumper. The only things that have been changed include the radiator, belts, shocks and fluids. I've attached an old photo and a recent photo below. There are more photos and a ton of info in a thread I started when I re-bought the vehicle: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/a-scramblers-homecoming.155223/ .

I hate to say this, but I have been considering selling the Scrambler again and picking up a new 2-door JL as soon as they start producing them with half doors. I like to go topless and I've discovered that the Scrambler's top just isn't as easy to remove as it used to be. That probably has something to do with my advancing age. I used to be able to easily remove the top by myself. While I can still do that, it's not "easily" removeable anymore. I've also found that I may be overly concerned with preservation of a classic vehicle so I don't drive it as much as I should.

In my opinion, the Scrambler was one of the best expedition vehicles of its time. I have mixed feelings about the new Jeep Wrangler pickup being called a Scrambler. It might also be a good expedition vehicle, but the length will make it unsuitable for many trails. It's apparently considerable longer then a 4-door JKU.

In The Maze, some time in the 80's:
View attachment 460280

At home:
View attachment 460281

Nice.

Reminds me of Ronald Reagan's CJ-8.

erstwild

How about a 4wd 4dr pickup truck. More reliable and more functional.

This is actually pretty much what I have decided in the end. I'm planning on getting a 2018 F-150 Regular Cab 8 Foot Bed with Heavy Duty Payload, FX4, etc. (3000 lbs of payload!) and mounting an insulated SpaceKap Diablo 8ft Shell (850lbs empty) for functional, comfortable, yet spartan conversion.

enjoitheride

Observer
I dont mean to dig up an older thread, but does anyone know what they did to the J8 to make the body, tub, and frame stronger? Always been interested in one of these. There seems to be no info on what made all of those items stronger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles