Jeep Grand Cherokee WK (2005-2010) as ExPo vehicle

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I like my WK but if I drove a lot for work I'd consider looking for a used low mileage WK2. There are a lot of them for sale around here for less than $20k, many still under warranty. Better gas mileage than a WK and much more comfortable than a JK.

Yea the WK2 is a great highway cruiser....

kayadog

Adventurer
My next Jeep will probably be a WK2 3.6 with the Off Road 1 Package and 255/70r18 all terrains. I really want a JK Unlimited but the WK2 makes so much more sense for me.

mjmck

Observer
I like my WK but if I drove a lot for work I'd consider looking for a used low mileage WK2. There are a lot of them for sale around here for less than $20k, many still under warranty. Better gas mileage than a WK and much more comfortable than a JK.

I do like the WK2 also, but since ive got 2 other vehicles already im looking to spend max 12k.

kayadog

Adventurer
I hear you. It's going to be tough to find a decent JKU in that price range, and WK's will be older and likely have the 3.7 and QT1 combo. Used JKU's around here are seriously overpriced, enough to eliminate them for me. Two years ago I went to the dealer to look at a used JKU and walked out with a KK. The 2010 KK had 30k miles, was under warranty, and was nicely equipped for $18,000 and in like new condition. The 2010 JKU Sport S had soft top only, a lot more wear and tear, and 90k miles and no warranty and was $21k. The KK has turned out to be extremely reliable, great in the snow, and with only larger all terrain tires has taken me everywhere I wanted to go. I also have 2010 WK Laredo X that I bought new for $11,000 off MSRP in the dark days of 2010 and it is much more comfortable than the KK but lacks low range and is underpowered with the 3.7. Great family all weather car though and ok for light off road.

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
Today I visited Frontrunner, and like many times before, I populated the “outfit your vehicle” section. For the first time it showed two Slimline II racks (965mm and 1,156mm L) mounted with strap-on feet on the OEM roof rails.
The picture for the product description even have a Subaru in it, so it must be a generic solution- still better than nothing.
Have you seen or have experience with Slimline II roof racks on the WK?

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/front-runner-slimline-ii-full-rack-strap-on.html

We do have a kit for that vehicle now. Its unavailable online at the moment due to low stock. We should have the rack available within the next coming months.

Here's a link of some information on it...
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.eu/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=krjg003

-Bryan

dusty122

Adventurer
Heres a few of mine with my trailer. 08 Overland with the hemi and qdII. Really wanted the diesel but could never get a clear answer from the CA DMV if it were legal to buy used out of state and register it back in CA. I've been pretty happy with it. I love the saddle brown interior. I bought this one in Indiana and drove it home since I was so picky. Ive got just over 100k on it. It got stuck with that N23 recall issues for almost a year but seems to be fixed now. It got a new mystery check engine light for slow 02 sensor response which im dreading on tracking down the issues on. Reliablity has been pretty good though. Its got 32s with the OME 2-3" lift. The roof rack my friend built for me and its got a hannibal awning on it which is awesome. Rock sliders are the next major mod I want to do. The trailer is getting matching jeep wheels and tires hopefully next week. I just need to get adapters made to make it work.
15813394056_4137af0e5a_z_d.jpg

15651206349_52f2963627_z_d.jpg

15838569642_aaa1a5ab33_z_d.jpg

bobbylx

Been lingering here for a while now, recognize some of the rides from another forum or two but figured I should throw my WK on here as well.

Nothing fancy at the moment, budget lift, Nitto Terra grapplers, Flashpaq and probably some small items. Waiting for the weather to warm up so I can work on a roof rack and some armor, and some paint/body work on the camper.

It's a 2008 Overland, has all the bells and whistles except the entertainment package. It's been good so far. I could do with a bit more cargo space in the back, but that's why I'm building a rack.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
received_10202673529399582_zpsd99305db.jpg

Stripped the Plasti-Dip off my wheels. I also snapped a wheel stud rotating and reinstalling the wheels. Tire guy told me my factory lug nuts were looking tired so he sold me 20 new chrome lug nuts for $10. Charged me $15 to replace the wheel stud.

Kosmo

Adventurer
Hi:

I have a 2007 WK CRD QDII with the GDE tune. Brings it to about 450 ft/lbs torque. Been going through the systems doing basic maintenance and assessing fitness overall before I start bolting pieces on.

Rig will be built to be a tow vehicle for a Hybrid trailer to be used as a base camp for a 1-3 year Americas Expedition. Family of four which is why we need the bigger trailer. Wont be dragging the trailer on trails, but will be able to take the Jeep to hard to reach places with the trailer parked somewhere in the vicinity.

Will be installing a 3" OME HD lift this week. Will take lots of before and after photos, and a few during the change over. Have an extra set of 17" rims and will likely be mounting LT235/80R17 Cooper Discoverer A/T3s. I have a set of Spydertrax 1.5" spacers, but with the narrow tires, I don't think I will need them.

Jeep currently has a sport tuned coils with Bilstein shoocks in it. This was put in by previous owner who wanted more of an SRT street vehicle.

Beyond that I am thinking of taking out the rear seat and exchanging it for individual buckets. More comfort, seating space, and will see what sort of space I can gain for gear.

Not much else planned immediately. Have been thinking if the internal inflatable beadlock system, but not ready to go for that when I mount these wheels.

Here are a few photos with 255/65/17 Pirelli Scorpions. This is basically stock. The CRDs always sit low in the front due to the heavy engine, and high towing 7200lb capacity.

Added OME HD lift kit form Kolak and Cooper ATW LT235 80R17
Running JK Moabs, no spacers.
Put about 25'000 kms on this combo.
Stillen rotors
Anti-sway bar disconnects at all four corners, and aftermarket UCAs.

DSC_0080.jpgDSC_0079.jpg.

Thoughts?Post lift minirims.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Welcome...Canadian and northern US owners have been seeing rust and corrosion issues on the steel diesel fuel tank. The issue is that salt gets stuck between the fuel tank skid plate and the fuel tank....causing corrosion on the tank and ultimately a fuel leak. The only way to check is to drop the skid and tank....if you have corrosion you will need to fix the tank as there is a backorder on a new tank....it was another ****ty Chrysler design.

See this link for another Canadian CRD owner's rusted fuel tank.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/rusted-out-crd-tank-3106977/

Kosmo

Adventurer
Many Thanks. I had not seen this. I guess I can add that to my basic systems maintenance. Luckily the truck spent its first years in Yellowknife, where it is too cold to use salt. Truck has never really been off road, so shouldn't be too much grunge in there. I am planning on high pressure cleaning the undercarriage and spraying bed guard, undercoating around the spare tire area etc. I guess I will add the fuel tank to the plan. Many frustrating things about this vehicle, for sure. You can see one of my threads on Jeepforum about the Electronic Throttle Control warning light. Add the power steering fluid also powering the cooling fan and you have many reasons to stay away form this truck; however I could not get a diesel landcruiser unless I imported a right hand drive from Japan, so this is what I went for. New cars are more and more gimmicky, and less long term reliability The new Jeep GC seems to be a maintenance disaster, needing constant trips back to the dealer for issues they can not quite pin down. Anyway, as I said I am going through this truck with a fine tooth comb before starting to build, hopefully this and an OBD computer scanner will keep me rolling long term. :)

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
yea but all vehicles have their quirks.....mine has been bullet proof in 90,000 miles. Also consider a new battery as well. There are several good AGM batteries out there....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles