Jeep Grand Cherokee WK (2005-2010) as ExPo vehicle

haven

Expedition Leader
Everybody just drools over a Wrangler with a V8 engine transplant. The cost of the swap is astronomical, but you need torque to move a Jeep loaded with the full set of off-road bumpers and body armor.

So I started thinking, Why not buy a Jeep that comes with the V8 to start with, and upgrade the suspension so it's more capable off-road? Maybe not "King of the Hammers" capable, but enough to handle a reasonable amount of rock-hopping?

That led me to the last generation Grand Cherokee, the WK model years 2005-2010. The prices for used Grand Cherokees equipped with V8 and 4x4 have come down to the point they are affordable. I've seen prices below $6,000, but $9,000 is more reasonable for a lower mileage 4x4 model with the 4.7L V8. Add another few thousands for newer SUVs with the 5.7L Hemi V8.

While the Grand Cherokee is not as well supported by the off-road aftermarket as the Wrangler, there are several companies that make suspension upgrades, including Skyjacker, SuperLift, Rocky Road, Rough Country and Teraflex. (Yes, the Grand Cherokee has independent front suspension.) Body armor and bumpers are not hard to find, either.

While searching around, I remembered that AEV built a Grand Cherokee for the SEMA show a while back. There's a page about the vehicle here http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/show_wk_mojave.php Here's a photo:

AEVMojave.jpg

The AEV Mojave has a 4 inch SuperLift suspension, 34 inch tires, sliders added to the rocker panels, a larger roof rack, and a very trick winch hidden behind the front bumper.

Dave Harriton, founder of AEV, has this to say about the AEV Mojave: "The Mojave was probably the best all around Jeep I've ever owned. Its ability to cruise comfortably at freeway speeds for hours on end, air down the tires, wheel for a week in Moab - being able to do just about every trail down there, air back up and drive back to Montana...thats pretty cool."

Now that's what we're talking about!

Compared to the Wrangler Unlimited, the Grand Cherokee is a lot smaller inside. If you need room for four and cargo, then consider the Jeep Commander. It has more squared-off body style and more rear overhang for extra cargo room. The chassis is the same as the Grand Cherokee's.

Amauri

Explorer
WK's where actually built from 05-2010. But anyway, I think an 04 WJ is a better platform. 4.7HO, solid axles, larger aftermarket support, cheaper, etc...

baca327

Adventurer
The Quadra Drive 2 system is amazing. Its alot more capable than most think it having IFS also fuel mileage isnt the greatest on a QD2(AWD) Hemi. The only thing I will warn you about is the Wireless Control Module has issues. Things like a USB chargers, etc cause crazy issues with RF interference. Other than that great vehicle. Try KSJeep as far as I know he still has his.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
The Quadra Drive 2 system is amazing. Its alot more capable than most think it having IFS also fuel mileage isnt the greatest on a QD2(AWD) Hemi. The only thing I will warn you about is the Wireless Control Module has issues. Things like a USB chargers, etc cause crazy issues with RF interference. Other than that great vehicle. Try KSJeep as far as I know he still has his.

I have a 2008 CRD WK and I have never had issues with the Wireless Control Module.

As far as being an expo vehicle I think it is a sleeper. My diesel powered WK can go close to 500 miles on a tank of fuel. I have the QT2 4wd system...not quite as good as the QD2 but it gets the job done. I could add a rear air locker as well.

There is plenty of aftermarket support for the WK....OEM makes a great lift. Mopar makes all the skid plates as well as 4xGuard.

I have a stock WK and took it to Uwharrie in May and it went everywhere I wanted to go. On General Grabber HTS tires.....

My WK will go anywhere a LC 80/100 or Tacoma will go. It may not be the "coolest" expo vehicle but it is capable and like I said above a sleeper.

i-f69fm2C-L.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for mentioning the CRD version of the Grand Cherokee. People spend $50K or more on a diesel powered Wranger, when they could buy a used diesel Grand Cherokee for $25K.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for mentioning the CRD version of the Grand Cherokee. People spend $50K or more on a diesel powered Wranger, when they could buy a used diesel Grand Cherokee for $25K.

And the engine is pretty bullet proof. And with the more Sprinters being built and sold everyday, along with the ML350 and E350 parts pricing and availability are getting better and better. And remember this is a world engine....being sold in Europe, Australia, Canada, and NAFTA.

The only major engine issue is the swirl motor that goes bad.....and this varies from engine to engine. I have 65,000 miles on my CRD with no issues and I know another CRD owner who is over 100k with no issues. The swirl motor is a simple part that is buried in the V of the engine so getting to it and taking it out is the big issue. But there are detailed directions on how to replace it on Jeepforum.com.

Because of the EPA you will need to change out the DPF, but again I have not heard of any premature failures of this part and it looks like it will go well beyond 150,000 miles. I have heard Sprinter guys getting well above 150,000 miles.

Like I mentioned above there are lots of CRD guys in Jeepforum who will do anything to help out.

Bumzo1

I also have a WK and love it! I installed an OME lift and added some 32" BFG M/Ts and it hasn't failed me yet. Mine is only the V6 however but even with my mods I still get 18-20mpg highway. The only real downfall of it is that it only has Quadra track 1 and lacks low range but so far the ESP and essentially brake-loc differentials have gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go. Its definitely a head turner too, I get tons of stares from the "real" jeepers and the hummer owners can't keep their eyes off of it, well unless they're women. Here's a pic

Photo%20Jun%2012%2C%203%2005%2052%20PM.jpeg

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I have an 08 with the newer 4.7 (300hp). Very happy with it. Great in snow and ice. Ive been camping and slept in the back without issue. You might need a roof basket if you have passengers and lots of gear. Cargo space is my only gripe. Spaces behind the rear seat is tight compared to most other mid size suvs. I average 20 mpg on long trips here in the rockies with a v8 and lots of power to spare. Cant complain about that.

It seems like lots of 2005 owners have random electrical issues that have been remedied by 2007 or so.

Alchemyguy

Observer
05 WK (4.7L) here, and it's pretty much stock at this point. I've been waiting before I invest in modifications. Am considering a modest lift and more armour underneath. 4xguard.com has specialized in the WK/commanders from that period. I bought a rear ladder from GobiRacks because climbing the side of the vehicle to get to the roof rack is teh sux.

I'm happy with it, with the cargo caveat mentioned. My wife, 1.5yr old at the time and big dog road tripped out to visit friends on Vancouver Island, camping along the way for a 21 day holiday. Cargo space was limited with the dog occupying half of the (already anemic) rear area. A roof rack was a necessity for us. I wish the rear cargo area was less styled and more boxy; it would be more efficient that way. I'm glad there are others on here that like their WKs!

zigsrig

Adventurer
I loved my WK. I recently sold it as i needed something bigger for my growing family. Having had A ZJ, WJ and a WK, i can say that the WK is a nice blend of off road capability and creature comforts. I think a lot of people who way the solid axle grand cherokee's are the best don't spend a lot of time driving in them...

Here was mine... If i did it all over again, I would do a 2008 with the diesel.

P4020089.jpg

P4030137.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

cocco78

Adventurer
I have an 05 with the 4.7L and I think its a pretty good vehicle. My wife and I sleep in the back of it all the time, we attach bug screen to the rear windows with some round magnets for some air during the night...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/cocco78/Around WI/mccoy031.jpg

250040_1816897621333_1206893872_31675451_6641892_n.jpg

I do have to say the 99-04 WJ has more comfortable seats, nicer ride both on and off road, better rear visibility out the windows, and it was lighter which lead to better fuel economy. I had a 99 Limited that I could get 20-22 all day long on the highways, i've never seen over 20 with this, 17-19 highway usually. I've put a bunch of miles on both Grands, I really like them both but for the solid front axle and better front suspension I still like the WJ more. Another negative comparing the WK to WJ is how low the WK is, I am constantly dragging the "frame rails" over things.

We don't plan on doing any expeditions with it, but we camp out of it for a few days at a time exploring the back roads. I've got it setup now with some 265/70r17 BFG at's for a little more clearance and will probably do a 2" BB, OME shocks, and alum skid plates to save some weight. I think that is all it really needs, the ESP seems to work pretty well at getting it through some hard trails...

Bob Freda

Adventurer
I have a 2007 Overland with the Hemi, we pull a 12' enclosed motorcycle trailer with two BMW R1200GS motorcycles. This Jeep does it all. Two weeks ago I did some challenging trails at the Killington Jeep Jamboree ( the QD2 system is amazing )

Summer%252520%25252711%252520077.jpg

I just added a roof top tent and we are getting closer to being "ExPo" ready.

CVT%252520on%252520Jeep%252520041.jpg

CVT%252520on%252520Jeep%252520001.jpg

We did our "shakedown" trip over the weekend, and everything worked very well (even in heavy rain friday night )

CVT%252520on%252520Jeep%252520003.jpg

CVT%252520on%252520Jeep%252520009.jpg

CVT%252520on%252520Jeep%252520016.jpg

CVT%252520on%252520Jeep%252520056.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier