Jeep got broken into last night - service manual (+reg and insurance) stolen

JB30

Anyone know if I’m at risk of thieves making a key with all the info they stole?

I’m sure it’ll be censored, but ******** the people doing this crap during all of this. Hope karma comes back and kicks them in the ass.

jgaz

Adventurer
Bastards!!!

What info did they steal? Hard to really answer your question without knowing this.

In order to make a key someone would need the factory key code.
They SHOULD need the registration in order to prove ownership to obtain this code.
However the dealer or locksmith SHOULD match a photo ID to the registration before providing this number.

Im sure there are many unscrupulous ways around this but if someone has a connection in those circles all they need is your VIN and its in plain sight through the windshield.

What year, and model Jeep? Is your key chipped?
If so, that gives you another layer of protection.

JB30

Bastards!!!

What info did they steal? Hard to really answer your question without knowing this.

In order to make a key someone would need the factory key code.
They SHOULD need the registration in order to prove ownership to obtain this code.
However the dealer or locksmith SHOULD match a photo ID to the registration before providing this number.

Im sure there are many unscrupulous ways around this but if someone has a connection in those circles all they need is your VIN and its in plain sight through the windshield.

What year, and model Jeep? Is your key chipped?
If so, that gives you another layer of protection.

They got the registration, insurance card, and owners manual.

It’s a 2016. Believe the key is chipped... ?

Awesome timing.

GHI

Adventurer
Just take a long walk around the neighborhood and look in the bushes and dumpsters. You’ll hopefully find your stuff there.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I don't think they can. They would need an I.D. with the name that matches the registration.

When I ordered a new key for my X5, I had to show the title, the registration and my driver license with an address that matches the registration.

I supposed they could always make a fake I.D., but that would not give them the title.

JB30

With everything we’re all dealing with, and then a bunch of personal crap in the past couple of days... this was really the cherry on top. Fingers crossed they tossed the owner’s manual in the trash and kept the misc crap they got, and that’s that. Appreciate everyone’s replies here.

jadmt

ignore button user
Your key is chipped so that will do them no good even if they had a key made. In reality the registration and insurance card will do them no good. I have never had to hand registration or insurance card to test drive a vehicle only my driver’s license.

regardless hopefully you made a police report.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Is your address on the insurance card or registration? If it was broken into at your house not a big deal but away from there then it gives them a place to go if they want to mess with you further. I get ALL of my mail sent to a P.O. Box and have done so for 17 years. It costs me a little extra but I don't have to worry about mail being stolen out of the box at the end of my drive and anyone stealing, it as in your case, doesn't know where I live.

JB30

Is your address on the insurance card or registration? If it was broken into at your house not a big deal but away from there then it gives them a place to go if they want to mess with you further. I get ALL of my mail sent to a P.O. Box and have done so for 17 years. It costs me a little extra but I don't have to worry about mail being stolen out of the box at the end of my drive and anyone stealing, it as in your case, doesn't know where I live.

Yeah parked outside the house. Seems like the street has had a rash of these things. Just grabbing loose stuff from cars they can get into.

JB30

Just take a long walk around the neighborhood and look in the bushes and dumpsters. You’ll hopefully find your stuff there.

Well... sure enough found my stuff dumped down the street. Found the manual, but all the receipts and reg / insurance cards gone. They also tossed aside a perfectly good tire gauge (thankso for that back), and... get this one... they threw away a roll of toilet paper that was in the center console for emergency.... who the F@$K throws away TOILET PAPER in times like these?? Fingers crossed, but I don’t think I’m dealing with an international car theft ring.

jadmt

ignore button user
Here is what I found after 30 years in LE. summer break, christmas break and any other break from school sees an increase in car break-ins. Kids are at home not supervised and have too much free time. This shelter in place is summer break on steroids. I am sure every town is going thru an increase in petty theft. Much of it unnoticed because people are not even checking their vehicles even on a weekly basis.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I'm a retired insurance agent and can confirm the above info. It's kids looking for anything they can grab. They're most likely looking for change & cigarettes. We used to have this stuff happening during school breaks & the summer. I'd call the local police so they are aware of it. Also, NEVER leave anything of value in your car, especially in plain sight.

chet6.7

Explorer
I keep my vehicle documents in my wallet,not fool proof,but they won't get my info from the vehicle.I understand in your case it was at you house,I am more concerned about a trail head break in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles