Jeep Cherokee XJ headlight upgrade?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
The headlights on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee have become horribly dim over time. I'm interested in upgraded lights that improve performance without dramatically increasing draw, with good durability, and acceptable longevity.

What sealed beam, or bulb/housing combination would you recommend?

Also, can you recommend a good aftermarket wiring harness?

4850926364_5ee0ef5144_z.jpg

I purchased the Jeep used in 2005 with 22,000 miles. These are probably the original sealed beams, and the Jeep is now at 107,000 miles. The passenger side light is considerably dimmer, but both headlights are pretty pathetic at this point.

lovetoride

i`d invest in a new set of replacement lights and clean all ground locations.that would be a cheap and relatively easy "first try" imo.

TOI

Web Adventurer
I'm running delta open lenses from quadratec, with silverstar bulbs. I'm really happy with it, but I would look into another set of lenses. Probably some projectors, the deltas make triangles of light.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Chris, your on track with looking into an upgraded wiring harness. Heres the local source for us, and reportedly a better assembly than the others available.

www.susquehannamotorsports.com aka rallylights.com.

Even with the harness upgrade you should see a signifigant improvement. Top it off with a set of Sylvania Silverstars, or an H4 conversion such as Autopal (Q'Tech sells these under the Delta name) available on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The above link is the E-code H4's.. from what i have read you dont want the "diamond cut" style. The seller on ebay will accept an offer a few dollars under the asking price.

Thats the combination i'm running and it's a very good improvement over typical Wagner sealed beams. The original bulbs are still in after 3 years as well.

There is a very long thread on the Autopal's at NAXJA with pics of the cutoff, might want to look into it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=906034&highlight=autopal

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Before spending one penny on lighting changes, talk to this guy. Daniel Stern Lighting The best there is. He is a wealth of knowledge and can get your lighting to world class levels. I tried Autopals and IPFs... wasted money once I spoke to him and followed his recommendations.

And for the record, neither Autopals or IPFs are true E-Code lights. They are not certified as e-codes. If you doubt it, ask them specifically.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Before spending one penny on lighting changes, talk to this guy. Daniel Stern Lighting The best there is. He is a wealth of knowledge and can get your lighting to world class levels. I tried Autopals and IPFs... wasted money once I spoke to him and followed his recommendations.

And for the record, neither Autopals or IPFs are true E-Code lights. They are not certified as e-codes. If you doubt it, ask them specifically.

Good points.. however you cannot argue the fact that the parts i listed are a huge improvement over the XJ's stock lighting. And at a cost of about $100 with many satisfied users with these parts. They have a nice cutoff and are not intrusive to oncoming traffic.. if aimed correctly.

You cant buy Hella E-code lenses for much cheaper than that..

xj joey

I got IPF lenses upgraded harness had some fat boy bulbs but one burned out and bought some cheap hella a pep boys but pulled up next to another xj with their lights on mine cover theirs up and you cant even see theirs shining down the road. If that makes sense.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Good points.. however you cannot argue the fact that the parts i listed are a huge improvement over the XJ's stock lighting. And at a cost of about $100 with many satisfied users with these parts. They have a nice cutoff and are not intrusive to oncoming traffic.. if aimed correctly.

Agreed... :)

rdonahe

Observer
Here's another vote for the Hella e-codes from Susquehanna combined with the new harness. I run 80/100 bulbs in the Hellas and they are a significant upgrade, the lights have a very defined cutoff pattern and I've never had any oncoming traffic flash me.

RedDog

Explorer
I have a TJ but similar experiences. The lights bordered on dangerous and always bothered me.

Just went IPF with 100/110 bulbs. Night is suddenly day.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I had IPF glass in my 95 Cherokee, and those IPF H4 Magic-J bulbs. You know, the ones that had the blue glow-in-the-dark ring at the base? The IPF housings were nice, but those particular H4 bulbs didn't last too long. We got a lot of returns on those when I worked at OK. Not too sure how the Fat Boys hold up. I just had the factory harness at the time, but this time it's clear that I could benefit from that upgrade.

Thanks for the great advice, guys. As of right now, I'm thinking about going through Susquehanna for everything. Get some nice Hella E-codes, and ??? bulbs, and whatever wiring harness.

It's weird that Susquehanna Motorsports is in Fleetwood, and not somewhere in the Susquehanna Valley. It'd be more convenient for me if they were, since I pretty much live on the Susquehanna River. At least they're local-ish. :)

Does anyone have a sales email address for Susquehanna Motorsports? Their site doesn't appear to list one.

Topgun514

Adventurer
Autopals with 60/55. I have the stock harness and need to level my lights out but the cutoff is much nicer for a controlled beam and my high beams scare me how much better they are.

Right now I am only having 1 of my lights doing the lighting, my other adjustment screw broke and I have been lazy- that being said, the one working light is better on the stock harness than my old stockers were with both lights working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior