Jeep Cherokee XJ - Contender for the Overlanding Crown?

deadbeat son

Explorer
Yep, no-frills pretty much says it. I've heard others say the same of their driver's seat, but I must have got the stand-out because I routinely have passengers comment on comfort of the front seats and I've done the 15 hour drive to NY and back to NC a few times now without any complaints.

The seat was fine for short jaunts, but I drove my XJ from Denver to visit a friend north of Syracuse, NY, with a quick stop in southern Mississippi on the way. That was a seriously long trip and the seat left me in pain for a few days afterward. Needless to say, I dreaded the drive home, even without the MS leg on the return trip.

Also, the little button on the right side of the posts with the (")+ logo allows you to quote multiple posts in a single reply.

reece146

Automotive Artist
To your comment about build quality in 97+ models, I don't know man - maybe you've run into some banged up ones but the interior of my 2001 is rock solid and, beyond some rust, when I get under my Jeep everything has been well-maintained enough to keep it in pretty impeccable shape for a decade old vehicle. But you're right, the key is a solid engine and platform for build-out into a trail monster.

Nah, my 2001 was bought as a two year old lease return with hardly any mileage on it in 2003. It was in showroom fresh condition except for some dog hair in the cargo hold.

They just aren't very well built vehicles. Take apart a couple hundred other vehicles of better quality and you'll see what I mean.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I would say the quality was not to dissimilar to a lot the ChyCo was putting out at that time period. Not sure why but they have always been known for poor plastic. Ask any Dodge pick up owner from the early 90s on and you will hear tales of woe about entire dashboards disintegrating into nothing. From a materials standpoint I'd say maybe the older XJs got a little better quality of plastic. But I'd have to say that neither one is perfect and the lack of cup holders on the early Gens is a PITA. Sounds stupid but it really does suck. :) And while my 01 has the two in the center console... it would be nice if the console itself wasn't leaning over towards the passenger. Why nobody makes a full, steel, well engineered replacement console for these is beyond me. Tuffy makes them for all manner of other Jeeps but the XJ only gets a drop in version. When I get more time on my hands and actually start to mess with it more, I plan to see what I can come up with. I'm no rocket surgeon but maybe even I can figure something out. Cheesy hang on door cup holders just don't work for the early Gens and there always seems to be better ways to do the wheel...

ADK_XJ

Observer
Nah, my 2001 was bought as a two year old lease return with hardly any mileage on it in 2003. It was in showroom fresh condition except for some dog hair in the cargo hold.

They just aren't very well built vehicles. Take apart a couple hundred other vehicles of better quality and you'll see what I mean.

Can't argue with your experience - I guess the years have just been kind to mine. The only area that I've noticed poor durability is on the plastic snaps holding the bottoms of door panels in. I know I was personally responsible for a couple when overhauling the stereo, but if they made some solid replacement pieces for those I'd be buying!

Tuffy makes them for all manner of other Jeeps but the XJ only gets a drop in version. When I get more time on my hands and actually start to mess with it more, I plan to see what I can come up with. I'm no rocket surgeon but maybe even I can figure something out. Cheesy hang on door cup holders just don't work for the early Gens and there always seems to be better ways to do the wheel...

Yeah, I've noticed quite a few options for the 80s-early 90s models, but nothing in the late model ranges. Too bad, I'd love a locking insert to put any number of things in that I don't want people ripping out.

intothewild

Adventurer
I have owned several xj's. From a horrible carb'd 2.8l model, to a 4.0/ax15 with 6.5" of lift and everything in between. For the price, the availability of parts whether new or used, the drivetrain reliability, and overall simplicity they are hard to beat. I now have a 97 zj which is very similar to the xj as far as underpinnings, just with a few extra electrical doodads to break.

After owning 5 xj's, 2 4runners and a built K5, I have to admit that the zj is probably my favorite. Comfort/capability/affordability all wrapped up into one.

old_man

Adventurer
ExpoRig.jpg
Here is my XJ. I built a 4.7L stroker for it. It has 35" tires with Dana 44's front and rear. It is a very capable rock crawler but it also has very good highway manners.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I love my Cherokees, but if I were to set up another rig running 31-33 inch tires for expedition type travel then I would choose the Isuzu Trooper over the Cherokee next time around. They have more cargo room, can run 31's bone stock or 33's for under $500, ride smoother, and are more reliable. Same price range too.

MCObray

Explorer
I sold my XJ last week.

My pros: Cheap to purchase. Great after-market support. Simplicity. Lots of interchangeable parts through ZJ, WJ, TJ, etc. 4.0L Straight Six, coupled with the AW4 transmission and NP-231 Transfer Case is a good, solid powerplant.

My cons: Interior components feel cheap. Interior passenger side was small, and cramped for the co-pilot. Interior cab was noisy when rolling down the highway at 60+ MPH. Electrical gremlins plague the vehicle (passenger having no control over windows). Aside from the powerplant (4.0L, AW4, NP-231), the vehicles build quality lacks. Stock headlights are terrible. You'll need at least 2.5"-3", SYE/T-Case Drop (varies for each XJ), to run 31s comfortably. Unibody. Something always needs to be replaced, or so it seems.

Again, these are just my experience with the XJ. Overall, the XJ is a good first vehicle. I love the front fascia of the XJ. They are very easy to work on, and allow you to grow to be mechanically savvy. I enjoyed my XJ very much, and it was tough to let it go.

Would I buy one again? Potentially, but not to be the primary source of transportation.

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Where the XJ does irrefutably shine is in its off-road prowess, and how it aptly leverages both "sport" and "utility". Where it falters is in its build quality. While the powertrain is one of the platform's strongest merits, the rest of the car (electrics, unibody, interior) isn't built to last. What this leaves you with is a disposable SUV - one that performs exceptionally while in its prime, but one that isn't ideal for extended off-pavement travel. This is likely why it's often omitted from our beloved overlanding publication(s).

I had the pleasure of attending Northeast Overland Rally this past fall, and immediately after my Cherokee effortlessly traversed a technical gully, Peter Vollers walked past my open window and remarked, "The XJs always make it."

That they do. :smiley_drive:

They might not give Cherokees that much attention in OJ and ExPo, but that doesn't matter - because Cherokees tend to validate themselves.

3000242007_0709c71913_m.jpg
49848550_7171bb37d1_m.jpg
12225958_53dcc000ad_m.jpg
8025791545_2aa9147672_m.jpg

draganof

Observer
The Indestructible Cherokee XJ

This is an oustanding thread. I have owned Cherokees since I bought my first one new in 1991 and I still have that one going on 300,000 miles. I agree with everything said about the XJ's. However, I do not want the XJ's to become popular Expedition Vehicles. I don't want them to be desired by anyone. There are lots of spare parts and XJ's for sale cheap and that is good because that means I'll have parts to keep my XJ's going for many years. So please EP continue to ignore them. Those of us that have them know why they are great and the rest just need to admit they are envious.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Thanks for the post - that is a great looking Classic! I like the balanced stance you have in your build and those wheels/tires - what's the combo?

That trailer is no slouch either, hope you many great trips with it - is it your own build?

Thanks for the comments... much delayed, but just saw this now.

The wheels are Cragar Soft 8's 15x8 with a 3.75" BS. The tires are 31x10.5x15" Hankook MT RT03's, and they are fantastic. The lift is (was) 3.5" rear leafs with 2" Shackles, but it has sagged down to about 3.5" from towing the BIG trailer. The front is 3" BDS coils with 1" Spacer, sitting at about 3.5" lift. The trailer is indeed my build, but I contracted a buddy to build me the lid...his design, based on my input/requirements.

Since this picture was taken I put about 100 hours into this setup! The XJ I am happy to say is nearly ready for some off road trailering fun. Only 1 shakedown run in late September as I was still working on it until then (the night before). Still needs the hot water system, tank and pump and a few other odds and sods. Check out my trailer thread here... http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-quot-Way-too-Red-quot-Build-Thread-(finally)

Here is it "deployed" in its near ExPo form, Jeep and all.

20120924_113432_zpsd896fcbf.jpg

20120922_175832_zpsc68ffe61.jpg

Jeep is great, needs work (dont they all) but I still love it! All my parts are in so soon it will be back ready to rock!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
New Years Day wheeling...not overland, but I was out in the woods and it was in an XJ!

20130101_221714_zps9f055717.jpg

My son loves this Jeep!

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I've always thought the XJ was near the top of the real Expo rigs. I've owned three of them. Jeanie's current winter car: I'm taking the cover off at the outset of winter.
DSCN0021.jpg

There are reasons. It's simple to run, maintain, work on. Large gas tank. Pretty good mileage on regular gas. Lightweight: ours weighs 3000 pounds. Large enough to actually carry stuff on a long trip through swamps, over dunes, endless snow, endless dirt roads. A myriad of aftermarket accessories for it. Great and simple suspension system. Not too wide for narrow trails. Nimble. Has enough power to move right along on pavement. Is the best snow car I've ever driven. Ours has the AW4, wide ratio Aisin/Warner transmission which seems just right, off-road, and the great-on-snow, NV242 t. case with full and part time settings, 2.72:1 low range. They made them for 16 years: 1984-2001, R.I.P. and have a new life in China. Yes, the Chinese bought the moulds and hardware for making their own version. No dummies, they. If it were still made, I would buy another in a minute, instead of the 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited (mind boggling electronics) we just bought.
DSCN0300.jpg

regards, as always, jefe

Last edited:

Sggilbert

Adventurer
I have really enjoyed this thread. As a die hard XJ fan (I've owned three) I gotta say I haven't encountered any other vehicle that suits me better. And when my current one gets too long in the tooth I'll simply find another cleaner fresher one and swap my parts over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz