Jeep Cherokee XJ - Contender for the Overlanding Crown?

weaselguys

The XJ is a great platform and from stock to extreme it is perfect for camping and travel and is almost unlimited in what you can do to modify it ,it can be a great solo vehicle camper with the addition of a roof rack and awning or a rooftop tent and can go most anywhere.Anything can get stuck no matter how capable or modified even the fancy stuff. I tow my camper off road and prefer areas that you need 4 wheel to get to and drive it daily -to me that is overlanding.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
What is the holy grail of XJs?
1998 is the holy grail. Some may say early 1999 with the high pinion front because of the larger intake manifold. For some reason they were the last of the high pinion and the intake only added the power back lost from the second cat they installed that year. Most 99' will be weaker low pinion. For me it would be a 97-98 with a 1999 intake installed on it.

ADK_XJ

Observer
Its just an outstanding good blank canvas from which I will start a less aggressive Expo style wheeler.

Hey again, JD - that's a great way to put it as a "good blank canvas" for whatever purpose you're looking to achieve out of your XJ. Can't wait to see how you build up your Expo wheeler, keep me in the loop!

ADK_XJ

Observer
I drive it everyday to and from work with a bullbar and winch mounted and regularly get 19mpgs. It's truly done everything I've asked of it, including taking my family of 5 on trips all around socal.

Hey, thanks for the comment and that's good to hear you're maintaining MPGs with a heavy front-end. I've heard some say throwing a winch on the nose is a surefire way to kill mileage, but I'm always skeptical since these are people who haven't dared to do it themselves AND, if you have the write load springs up front, it shouldn't make any difference in the ride or aerodynamics of the XJ, which are already that of a refrigerator box. A really good looking refrigerator box, though!

One thing I was sure to do in overhauling my whole suspension was that I put in Rusty's Heavy-Duty front coils that are rated for the eventual addition of a steel bumper, brush bar and winch. It makes for a slightly harder on-road ride with the stock bumper right now, but I think it's a good investment if you think there's even a chance you'll want to add on. Do it once and do it right!

Last edited:

ADK_XJ

Observer
I'm a Toyota guy, nobody matches the build quality. Having said that, the XJ is one of the best 4x4's built for someone with a normal budget, anyone who says different is purely an idiot. Along with my 7 Toyota's I've owned and offroaded 4 XJ's, and my current project is an 88 Comanche with a long arm kit. The "elitist" attitude, among other things, is why I haven't posted on this site in over a year.

Can't argue with you on the build quality of Toyotas - when I went looking for my latest XJ I had a moment of indecision between it or those older 4Runners with the heavy rear axle but I just have too much love for the Cherokee. Would love to see your Comanche - post a pic?

ADK_XJ

Observer
Thought I'd toss up a couple pics I've had one here now and again. The tan XJ is the free trade one I got that made the trip west and back. Lift was ACOS w/Grand cherk springs and the rear was AALs and shackles. The roof rack, bumper, and paint were all done by me in the driveway. Like I said, not a hick up the entire 3500 mile journey. Sadly I parked it in the driveway and the first weekend I was back a huge pine tree fell and cereal crushed it! :O
The white 91 is a work in progress here more to give me something to do. It will get modded and played with while I am here and then sold before I leave. The Black one is the new (to me) nice one. I'm itching to start doing stuff to it but I need the white one able to move under its own power first. :( I call those two thing one and thing two. :elkgrin:

Yeah, it's hardly the car itself that dies - usually when you hear of a wrecked XJ it's something outrageous like a tree fell on it. The scariest moment I had with mine was shortly after moving South I had managed to accidentally pull the hood release while unloading the car but I didn't know it - hood flew open at 50 miles an hour and I would have died if my gf hadn't been riding shotgun and led me off to the right. Scary moment, but banged the hood back in place and have driven it since!

ADK_XJ

Observer
It's not elitism as much as ignorance.

Ignorance as in not aware of other methods or products so what they have in front of them is "best". Anything different must be substandard. If they haven't experience with it then it is "wrong"...

They are good little vehicles. Screw the purists.

Yeah, I don't know if I can quite say that folks with these crazy expensive cars are elitist and I wasn't writing to call anyone out or anything - well not in anything more than a tongue and cheek way. I just think there's been some oversight on Expedition Portal, Overland Journal and these types of forums for more entry-level, realistic builds for those of us who aren't independently wealthy or retired. But, hey, if I was I'd be looking for quality ways to spend the dough, too!

To your comment about build quality in 97+ models, I don't know man - maybe you've run into some banged up ones but the interior of my 2001 is rock solid and, beyond some rust, when I get under my Jeep everything has been well-maintained enough to keep it in pretty impeccable shape for a decade old vehicle. But you're right, the key is a solid engine and platform for build-out into a trail monster.

ADK_XJ

Observer
Then again, that simplicity and no-frills attitude was part of its charm. In addition to the "miles of plastic, as far as the eye can see...", complete with its assortment of squeaks and rattles from the outset, the driver's seat was horribly uncomfortable for significantly long drives.

Yep, no-frills pretty much says it. I've heard others say the same of their driver's seat, but I must have got the stand-out because I routinely have passengers comment on comfort of the front seats and I've done the 15 hour drive to NY and back to NC a few times now without any complaints.

ADK_XJ

Observer
... whenever someone not familiar with XJs tries to drive my Jeep their first tip into the throttle ends up in wheel spin and thrown rocks when it occurs on gravel.

True and true. My girlfriend HATES driving the Cherokee because it's such a different feel, which is fine by me! :) But, yeah, everyone I've seen sit behind the wheel of an XJ for the first time is always surprised at how torquey it is.

ADK_XJ

Observer
Interesting read.

I loved the Cherokee XJ from the day I saw my first one in 1984 ish. I have wanted one right up until I got mine in 2007. Yes, build quality is not as good as other makes... but in all honesty it very utilitarian and does everything I ask it to. For what I paid I am happy with what I got. The stock XJ will go anywhere, it will tow up to 5000#, and has decent power. They were built for offroad, hence the solid front axle, and all the 4x4 stuff the OP mentioned, and they lack some of the creature comforts (ok most) that the newer generations have. Lots of great 4x4's out there, Toyota, Land Rover, Nissan etc. but this is the one I chose, and I don't think I could sell it if I wanted too?

If I were to part with my XJ, I would consider the Xterra as a potential replacement, or possibly the Wrangler, hopefully with a CRD should they ever wise up and release it in NA!! Bottom line, Cherokee XJ is capable, reasonable on gas, has good power, is simple and rugged and if maintained will outlast most of the wannabee junk out there. Mine is becoming exactly what I want, and with the trailer is going to take my wife and kids and I lots of interesting places we have yet to visit!

Trailer lid under construction...

20120527_123054.jpg

Thanks for the post - that is a great looking Classic! I like the balanced stance you have in your build and those wheels/tires - what's the combo?

That trailer is no slouch either, hope you many great trips with it - is it your own build?

ADK_XJ

Observer
...My complaint is not the interior build quality as the plastic mass manufactured panels are not what will bring you home. The vehicle does need upgrading for any serious terrain, specifically the cooling system but in reality its cheap and simple...
View attachment 107036

That is one thing I neglected to mention, the 2000/2001 engine head has an identified cooling issue but I've read the danger zone for any heat-related failure/cracking is more likely to happen in the (relatively) early mileage range like 50,000 miles. Most Cherokees you'll find anywhere are going to be close to 100k or more, but still worth a cooling upgrade for the slow, hot trail days.

Good looking Jeep, black's my favorite - gotta link to your expanded thread?

ADK_XJ

Observer
What is the holy grail of XJs?

Like specific model? I think while the interior build of some of the early (late 80s, early 90s) is a little more solid, but spartan the really important components like axels, differentials, transfer case and engine are especially refined in the 97+ models. The Chrysler Company 8.25 rear axle, for example, is probably the closest competition to the legendary Dana 44 axle that so many off-road enthusiasts seek and it comes stock in quite a few of the 1996 build years and on. That's going to be crucial for everything from strength, the size of the tire you can run, power transfer, traction, etc.

I guess my overall view is that some upgrades are relatively simple undertakings that make the low purchase price worth it, but swapping out axles, brakes and, god forbid, engines is a BIG deal. Anyway, check out that Finessing The Jeep Cherokee write-up by Off-Road Adventure magazine, it speaks in depth to those types of considerations.

ADK_XJ

Observer
The XJ is a great platform and from stock to extreme it is perfect for camping and travel and is almost unlimited in what you can do to modify it ,it can be a great solo vehicle camper with the addition of a roof rack and awning or a rooftop tent and can go most anywhere.Anything can get stuck no matter how capable or modified even the fancy stuff. I tow my camper off road and prefer areas that you need 4 wheel to get to and drive it daily -to me that is overlanding.

Couldn't agree more!

ADK_XJ

Observer
1998 is the holy grail. Some may say early 1999 with the high pinion front because of the larger intake manifold. For some reason they were the last of the high pinion and the intake only added the power back lost from the second cat they installed that year. Most 99' will be weaker low pinion. For me it would be a 97-98 with a 1999 intake installed on it.

Probably some truth to that, I've always felt like the rear is handling so much of the day-to-day drive power that a Chrysler 8.25 or Dana 44 (if you're lucky) beats out the front pinion, but you speak with conviction and I think that's probably a good recommendation to the XJ newcomer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier