Jeep Base Vehicle Selection for First NEWB Overland Build

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
I agree with the echo of, look into a WJ.

More power with the 4.7, more room, more comfort, unibody is more sturdy, and more power. (did I say more power?)

The only plus with the XJ is more aftermarket support, and its cheaper. I've owned both.

I bought my 03, one owner with 90,000 miles, 4.7L and a 242 T-case which nets me more 4WD options. D44a rear. I paid less than 10K two years ago.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I have to say, you can't go wrong with either, I have an XJ and I think it would not matter if you bought a WJ or an XJ. You are going to be dumping all 10K into either one to get it were you want it to do overland travel. If it were me I would defiantly look closely at a WJ as you can find those with way less miles on them. My XJ has 225k on the clock and as I keep it well maintained (pouring so many up-grades that I know what could go wrong and ready to fix it) but how nice it would be to find something with less than 100k and running like a top. You would want to stay away from the 2000 and 2001 XJs as they have some undesirable traits (like problematic head and low pinion front axle). So that would leave you with XJs that are very high mileage and like others have said the frame needs work on them to modify them for the trails. I'm in to deep to change from my 2-dr XJ. If you are going the Jeep route a WJ would suffice nicely. (If I ever change it would be a Toyota for me) Just my 2-cents worth.

My list of up-grades to get mine were I want it would cost at least 4K
I have probably 7k into it already and will have 10k into my trailer when all is said and done.
Once bitten you will spend way more than 10K but it will be worth the investment I guarantee you will enjoy the ride!

Attachments

• DSCN0500 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0500 (1024x768).jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I have a wj. Bought it two years ago bone stock, two owners, v8 4.7 loaded limited, 114k miles, 3,400 California vehicle rust free. I've since done lone arm 4.5" lift, front and rear bumpers, sliders, tires, wheels. Roof rack, lights, winch, ect and am right at 10k all in. It's surpassed all my expectations off-road, tows my teardrop like it's not there, COMFORTABLY fits 4 adults(something that can't be said about an xj), and all my expo gear. The aftermarket is growing and quite nice for the wj that I don't see a need to look at xj's unless you just want to hack up a trail crawler. For expo travel the wj is superior In every way. Also, don't forget the wj is their third generation unibody vehicle, and it shows. The frame is considerably stronger than the xj and zj. Both of those vehicles require frame stiffening after a few seasons of wheeling, the wj doesn't require it.
Very nice set-up!

Redeth005

Adventurer
This will be a cool build. Any reason why you are deciding to stay withe the jeep brand? You ever thought about a 3rd gen (1995-2003) 4Runner or Tacoma of the same year? If i could build a rig with all the money i have invested into my rig i would have definitely gone with one of those 2. Definitely with the 3.4L v6; even better if i could get it with TRD supercharger lol

But thats just the Yota lover in me talking. I respect jeepers. And there is alot you can do with any jeep. Best of all if you do choose any jeep the market for add on items/mods are so vast! and the awesome thing is that almost all armor is Bolt on! So much variety for you guys. I had to do alot of custom work and fabrication for my bumpers. I look forward to seeing what you decide and how you plan to build it.

By the way I agree with the person above said about Rust fixing. Have you thought about taking a trip to California and buying a rust free jeep? for 10k im sure you can get very good vehicle with little to no rust.

heraldj07

I always just assumed that the 4 runners where much more expensive but after looking, they fall within the 2-5k range. This may have opened up some other options but i am still going to test drive a few different platforms both within the jeep community and in the TOYOTA

Thanks for the inspiring pictures everyone. Got me wanting to drop money right now ... the wife has other plans haha

JandDGreens

Adventurer
If you go with a 4-runner make sure you buy one with the rear locker (not all come with this option) and check the frame for rust. Once you buy it do your own rust prevention as this one thing that Toyota neglected to do. I for one If I had a do over, I would have gone with a 4-runner. In fact looking to buy one in the distant future for traveling when we retire.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94