JDM Truck and Van Resources (Hiace, Liteace, Townace, Toyoace, etc)

ZeroR2

I am looking to import to Canada a 2005 Hiace from Japan. Can someone tell me the different engine options and wheel base from Japan? The information I am collecting is a bit confusing. Different countries, different engines, transmission.... I would like to get a high roof, stripped down, but not certain if should go with LWB or SWB. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lovetheworld

Well, check Wikipedia for the engine options, usually 4 cilinder diesel or petrol.

Please note that there is also the Granvia or Grand Hiace, which can come with the 3.4 v6 that also comes in the 4runner, so easier to service.
They have a Euro body type and lots of seats and all.

Expect all of them to be rear wheel drive or full time 4wd, there are no parttime 4x4 models from 2005 onwards.

ZeroR2

Thanks. Already went to normal search, but found a brochure from Japan for 2005 models. I have a Smittybilt XL RTT that I would like to put on the Hiace. Do you think that it will work with 3 roof rack system? I haven't seen up close how the roof rails are. Dry weight on the XL is around 150 lbs. What do you think that the max load (static) would be. Meaning that driving would be fine (dynamic), due to the fact it is under 100kg. Thanks for the help so far.

Lovetheworld

I have no idea, but I don't think it will be an issue if you can find some roof rails. Those weights are not that impressive, not for a van.

There are at least two, but possible three wheel bases. Due to sitting on the engine, you get a lot of space in the back compared to the length of the car.

ZeroR2

Thanks. I failed to disclose that I will build custom shelves/cabinets in the rear for windsurfing gear. The long wheel base (not super/ no short wheel base) has 3000mm from front seat to back or 1960mm from rear seat to back. Goal is to get a 2/1 rear folding seat. 1 rear passenger on right side and 2 passenger on left side. I then can fold the rear 2 seat on the left and my boards will still fit. I need the rear one seat for my son. And when I don't use the van for windsurfing, I still would have a 6 van seat (front middle would be tight). Not going for high roof (roof top tent and too high for off road), but will try to acquire a full time 4x4. I made some plans for the cargo setup and will not have much space left. With 4 boards, 6 mast, 11 sails, 4 booms and foiling gear... pretty packed. Only other items needed is the conversion of rear bench to 2/1 folding seat, nudge bar and good roof rack system to hold the large roof top tent and 3 people on top. I appreciate all the info so far.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
My wife and I've been looking for a 1994-95 Hiace. We are expecting another kiddo this fall which will make three. She wants a van but hates the current domestic options, which is why the Hiace is so appealing. She likes the 4WD and the seating options. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of info out there. Seems like the 3.0 1KZ-TE is good enough for daily use and commuting. What 4WD options does this engine show up in? What else should I be looking for in a Hiace? I'm not looking to convert to a camper but we'd still plan on taking it camping. We just use a ground tent, so a roof rack would be helpful.

I've been perusing these:

They all have or had good options. There shows one available from Japanese Vans that would fit the bill but we are local to Portland so Vanlife NW and Yota Imports are much closer.

I can second the suitability for daily commuting. I have driven my 1KZ Hiace over LA and it keeps up fine. I’m not doing 80 up mountain passes, but I never feel like I can’t keep up with reasonable traffic.
I have mine set up so we can sleep two adults, a 8 year old, a 2 year old and an 85 Lbs dog really comfortably with the short wheel-base.They don’t have a huge foot print, but they are definitely large enough for reasonable rips.
I have spent some time going through suspension parts and a few other systems and cross-referencing then with 4Runner parts. There seems to be some overlap. I’m hoping that makes parts easier. I found jp-Carparts.com and that seems to be a great resource.
I’m going to try and swap in a left-hand drop transmission/transfer case next year to see if I can get 4-Lo. It seems like the 4Runner units from the mid-2000s might be a direct bolt in. That way, I can get the good engine and be able to properly off-road.
my Roamer lift and 29” BFGs go on next week. Then, we hit the desert.

Lovetheworld

There are many different versions. I think most of the ones with the 1KZ engine got full-time 4wd, without center locker and low-gearing. That is more for the slower diesels (2L and 3L engine codes) like I have.
However, those gearboxes won't fit as easy, you are probably right to go for something of the 4runner.

Putting 29" wheels with a lift would require some cutting on the front wheel arch, rear is okay.

Our van is lifted and has only 75hp and low-gearing and it gets everywhere. Just slow though, and a noisy engine which I dislike.

THEFJCRUISER

I am looking for skylight option . Townace or liteace or master ace surf wagon. Of the importers mentioned, most seem to cater. To hiace only

David A. W.

I have imported a 2005 Toyoace, to Canada, and am having trouble finding tires. I am looking for a set of snow tires.

4 winter tires 145R13 LT (doolies)
2 winter tires 175/75R15 103/101L LT

I'm wondering what other Toyoace/Dyna/Hino owners in North America have done regarding tires.

I have imported a 2005 Toyoace, to Canada, and am having trouble finding tires. I am looking for a set of snow tires.

4 winter tires 145R13 LT (doolies)
2 winter tires 175/75R15 103/101L LT

I'm wondering what other Toyoace/Dyna/Hino owners in North America have done regarding tires.

Having wheels made at great cost...

windblown

If anyone tracks down rims I could use a pair for my Toyoace. From what I have found so far, Stazworks (stazworks.com) has said they should be able to modify their existing 20" bead lock alloys for $1250 apiece. Isuzu super singles from Fuso Offroad dont fit. They did say they are getting lots of inquiries from Toyota JDM owners.
There seems to be a big variation in what a Dyna/Toyoace can be. Everywhere from the lightweight 2 liter engine van fire trucks to my square axled, leaf sprung, ridiculously low geared 15B diesel five speed to the even larger motored dyna fire trucks.
IMG_1853.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles